iRacing ChampCar events 2020

Information about upcoming races, swap meets & shows

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

MostMint

Re: iRacing ChampCar events 2020

Post by MostMint »

Other than announcing qualifying order, and results - this is the only time I was mentioned in the event:

https://youtu.be/ZPWUwa1rAc4?t=3129

I've definitely improved my pit stop actions. And despite what these guys say I have no computer program or assistant to figure out how much to add. I just knew that I had .7 gallons left and it was halfway so I could finish on 4.2. I put in 4.5 I think for margin of safety. I'll get better at this each time.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Up next: VIR on 8/5. Plenty of time to prepare - and I think I'm going to need it.

Reference info:

2019 iRacing event with 2010 MX-5 Cup: 2:14.3
2017 24 hour race - Saturn: 2:28

first 20 laps of practice 2010 MX-5 Cup: 2:26

It is amazing how much I've forgotten about driving this course
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

And a little instructional video on how to drive VIR.

https://youtu.be/lll2w264A4k

I am not in the action of the video but me in my virtual #50 is front and center in the lead in picture
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Last week had a practice race at VIR. Qualified 7th with a 2:21, finished 2nd. 13 cars made laps in this two hour event which featured about an hour of night racing in the middle of the event. They ran a faster time lapse in the game so we got to race sunset and sunrise - both of which were really fast lol. I however was slower than normal - had run 2:19.3 before this - but could not get my rhythm down right

Earlier this evening I did my final solo test and got my fast lap down to 2:18.3. This was in the dark which I can only assume cooler air and track temps helped along with some improvements in my line. I expect the leaders to run 2:14. If the race runs like the practice I should improve my position once it gets dark since I have night marks sorted out pretty good.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Last night joined ChampCar iRacing and did two hours at VIR - full course. So intense and fun 8)

I was sharp in qualifying and set my personal best of 2:18.294. This netted P10 starting position in a field of 22.

https://youtu.be/Wq72dZwhW18

edit: Fair amount of camera time at 14:30, 1:15:00 and 1:55:00

Gave up a few spots in the early going. Never below 13th though as people ahead had their various problems. Mostly crashes, but P2 on lap 1 lost his connection (points leader!) and rejoined several laps down. Car only stopped twice - once for a mistake on turn 3 exit that ended with a light touch on tire barrier, and two for the pit stop. Racing lap times were barely reaching 2:19 so I have some work to do on consistency, and sticking to my fast habits when there are cars on track.

Had a good battle for 4 laps or so with Scott G he was behind and I could not shake him. Eventually I went wide and off a bit at oak tree and that was the end of it.

Pitted mid race. Leader came in behind and actually passed me in the pits. There is time to be saved there as well as I am not keeping it close to pit speed limit. My pit ended up being very close to where we pitted when we raced VIR back in 2017.

So I slowly kept improving throughout the race and was in P11 with two to go. P9 had to come in for a late splash of gas which allowed me to move up to P10 for the finish. Ran 51 laps - one lap down to the leader, and one more lap than I managed in the practice race.

Scored 29 points and moved up to P33 overall - not bad considering I missed the first five races!

Started in top half and finished in top half of the field. Qualified 2.1 seconds behind P1. Definitely improving.

For the rest of the season am setting a goal of making the top 20 in points, and improve best qualifying and finishing positions at least once.
-BP[/quote]
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

I stayed up all night taking pictures at VIR.
Pace lap.
Pace lap.
Start, Pace car pulls off.
Start, Pace car pulls off.
Leaving the pits after a great stop.
Leaving the pits after a great stop.
Night racing.
Night racing.
Going a lap down.
Going a lap down.
The day went from daylight to dark, back to daylight in 2 hours.
I never felt sleepy. Good fun!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Thanks for the pics! need a like button on here
-BP[/quote]
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

The pics are great!! haha

-Dave
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

It'll be a while before I do the custom paint job, but in the meantime I painted the rims black in homage to the Bassett wheels we run on the Saturn. Those debuted in this race
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Notes on prep for Indy race:

Did some practice with the street stock at VIR a couple weeks back. The car is a handful! Lots of power, too much rear brake, very sturdy.

Have done a few intermittent practices - first serious practice got me into high 1:42 range. Then learned there is a custom setup they are using. Loaded that up but in short practices could not get faster.

Tonight I hosted an event - shaved two seconds off my time, and ran fairly consistent 1:40.8. The best guys are running 1:37!

Official ChampCar practice race next Wed and might fit one more event in before then.

Rachel got her D license last night, so possible to have her and John H in the next race as well.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Did the practice race earlier this evening. 60 minutes

Qualified 14th of 19 with a 1:40.286. Had one spin costing 18 seconds, and speeding on pit road costing 40 seconds. With these cars being sturdier there is less attrition, so I finished 15th, one lap down.

I thought the rear brakes were locking up, but video shows it is the fronts. The street stock has adjustable brake bias and I had it 58% toward front. Going to have to experiment with that. Also any turn in on braking unloads the inside front which causes it to lock up.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Race was last night. Video here: https://youtu.be/8YPCc0_lK1Q

Managed to get down to 1:39.3 in qualifying - gaining .2 over last test and a full second over practice race last week. Still the leaders were a second faster as well. Argh.

Qualified 19th of 25 cars that raced. Had a fairly aggressive start to gain a couple spots, reasonable pace and was able to do some racing with the mid-pack folks for a while til I started making mistakes. Just not enough practice and so break in concentration results in an early downshift or a bit too late on the brake. In the end I finished 18th last car one lap down. Leaders were not close to lapping me as in the practice race.
Gained 21 points and am now 28th overall in point standings. I'm thinking top 20 is in the cards. 5 races to go
-BP[/quote]
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Since TRP was fogged out, I took a private jet to INDY to catch the iRace.
Really big crowd which made it difficult to find the best spots to take pictures.
I did take 20 different shots and will present the 6 that best tell the story of #50.
Pace lap
Pace lap
Pace car pitting, race is on.
Pace car pitting, race is on.
#50 looking for a hole.
#50 looking for a hole.
#50 pit stop for gas and tires
#50 pit stop for gas and tires
On course
On course
#50 last lap under the Checker flag.
#50 last lap under the Checker flag.
All in all, in was a fun race! Then I took the private jet home.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Impressive private jet take off in the fog!

Good thing we got you the photographer credentials.

Pics are great
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Next race is Auto Club Speedway road course. This is the "roval" configuration. Race will be 9/30 at 10 PM eastern.

Today I took my first laps there and got down to 1:52. There will be a lot of improvement from here.

Rachel and I will be practicing next week. Got to get a handle on this street stock and see if I can improve my skills to improve my results
-BP[/quote]