Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

wxo

Re: iRacing ChampCar events 2020

Post by wxo »

Get you get tested for Covid19 when you got back? :shock:
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

The Private Jet and the rental car were both sanitized before I took them.
Now the Ohio Governor and the CDC have me in a ten day quarantine.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I have uncovered the cause of the incident. I went wide on exit of final turn and the right rear went into the grass. This by itself should not be terminal, but having the wheels turned left as the RR goes off create a big imbalance on the car and it turned left.

RR in the grass
IMG_5930.JPG
You can see the wheel is turned to left (lower left of the screen)
IMG_5932.JPG
And the aftermath. I'm a little surprised it wouldn't move at all - no telling what was actually broken
IMG_5931.JPG
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

During tonight's practice race I had a mechanical problem with the throttle sticking! My Thrustmaster T150 pedal set has a broken gas pedal return spring.
2924EC9A-8F75-4C7F-B7DB-B68104680FA2.jpeg
I sent a note to technical support looking for a replacement, but it seems dumb to put that part back in there it will wear out again after 6-7 months. I am going to look for a better quality spring with similar tension. I need to find the right helical torsion spring - its like what you use in a Victor mouse trap or a spring loaded clothes pin.
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Just zip tie it to your foot for full on/off throttle control. Better it broke during practice...

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Good idea if in a pinch. the lack of resistance when pushing down is a major minus

Found and ordered some torsion springs from Grainger that will hopefully do the trick.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

2020 is in the books.

Last race was Laguna Seca with the Legacy Mazda MX5 Cup.

28 cars took the grid, I started 11th. I was hanging in 13th on lap 4 when I messed up the entrance to turn 10 and went well into the sand. Cost me 18 seconds and dropped 10 positions. Need more practice driving close behind other cars as I am having a hard time picking up my marks which I believe was a factor. Spent the rest of the race fighting to get back and with a little help from the leaders roughing up Jay I was able to make it back to 13th and hold it for the last lap. Ended one lap down though :x

Ended up 15th in points for the season - scoring 232 points. The winner scored 596 out of max of 600. I missed 5 races before joining, then scored exactly two points in the next two races. From there I averaged over 25 points per race. Top 10 definitely possible for 2021. Also - only 9 drivers made the 12 races required to qualify for the free race entry - winner to be announced. I missed it by one race.
364B69FB-C8E6-429C-89C8-0DAA3779292E.jpeg
D0675A81-74EC-4D42-9FDA-6D7917E672B1.jpeg
B941993C-E15E-4F3E-BCA1-261C63B202F9.jpeg
69364A4C-6FDF-4C0C-B93B-DF83C9313D11.jpeg
-BP[/quote]
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

It was my last chance to attend another iRace until next year so I planned on attending the Weather Tech Raceway Laguna Seca.
This was the 16th and last version of this iRace series. Laguna Seca is approximately 2700 miles from home,
either a 29-hour drive or a private jet out of Burke Lakefront Airport.
Well, the flight was just over 5 hours to Monterey, California. There I had a rental car waiting for a very short drive to the track.
Laguna Seca is 2.238 miles in length with 11 turns. It was a partly cloudy day with the temperature at almost 70 degrees.
I was there to watch the #50 MostMint Team and the #24 Pink Panther car.
It was difficult to get close to the action. I did manage 25 pictures, so here are the best that depict what was happening.
Statistics
Statistics
Parade lap
Parade lap
#24 The Pink Panther
#24 The Pink Panther
#50 MostMint
#50 MostMint
Pace car off
Pace car off
GREEN!!!
GREEN!!!
First lap
First lap
Early action
Early action
down 1 lap to the leader
down 1 lap to the leader
Checkered Flag
Checkered Flag
Official Results
Official Results
Back to the Garage
Back to the Garage
Finding the sand very early was disappointing for #50 that had qualified and started 11th and was holding 13th,
then suddenly had to recover in 23rd place. But on the positive side, #50 was able to do many passes
battling his way back to 13th spot at the finish.
I went back to the pits after the race to see what the car looked like,
then said good bye to the team and headed back to Monterey and home.

Good fun, can’t wait to see what next year brings!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Rachel had a problem on lap 1 so glad you got a pic of here before loss of connection had her retiring.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

My 2020 year in review

Charlotte: First race. Tanked qualifying on purpose, started 57th, pitted as we came to green to avoid lap 1 carnage. Managed to keep the car in one piece and finished 37th. 96th in points
Watkins Glen: Didn’t understand this was the legacy MX5 Cup car – so all my practice was with the wrong car. Got rear ended at start finish at the start of the pace lap, unknowingly used my fast repair (newbie mistake), missed my pit stall had to go around at ½ throttle to not run out of gas, got netcoded shortly after scheduled pit, race over. Finished 41/45. 105th in points
COTA: Figured out official practices exist. Wide and long track brings low interaction with other cars. Beat Max to the line by a car length enabling first finish on the lead lap. Finished 14/25. 61st in points
Mosport: First track I had not been to in real life. Was running somewhere around 12th, pushed it too hard in closing minutes, and got a tire off and turned into the wall. Nursed it back and with fast repair ran the last few laps. Finished 18/26. 41st in points
VIR: Finally something more endurance oriented. Kept the car clean and outlasted a lot of cars. First top 10. Happy to be only one lap down after two hours. Made the top ½ and top 10. Finished 10/22. 33rd in points
Indy: OMG the street stock is a handful. No ABS is forcing me to learn how to use the brake pedal in video games/ sims for the first time. Finished 18/25. 28th in points
Auto Club: OMG the street stock is still a handful. Confirming I like rovals – kinda sad this one is so far away and going to be torn up. Felt pretty good about my performance, though low turnout and good quality drivers limits results. Finished 11/12. 24th in points. Side note: Daughter Rachel makes her iRacing debut
Sebring: Starting to figure out the street stock. Finished 11/24 – top half and on lead lap. 21st in points
VIR North: The Solstice is like totally different than the last time I drove it. Well I’m totally different probably. Debut of my first custom livery. Up to 6th with just a few laps left, til I pushed harder than needed and went off on exit of last turn before front straight. Finished 8/18 - on top half and on lead lap. 18th in points
Barber: I’m definitely feeling like mid-pack capable here. Was having an awesome race with Chris K when I slipped the RR off on exit of last turn and nosed it into the wall. Definitely cost myself a top 10 here. Car was broken at start/finish and had to take a tow for only the second time. Finished 18/25. 17th in points
Laguna Seca: I noticed the Legacy MX5 Cup is much faster than last year. I crushed last year’s best but still over two seconds per lap slower than the leaders this year. Had a big off lap 4 when following too close I put the LR off on entry of turn 10, dropping from P13 to P23. Worked my way back, but still one lap down. Finished 13/28. 14th in points

Worthless factoids:
Races 5-6: 2 points
Last 9 races: 230 points. Averaged a little better than 14th place for these races
Right now I’m hooked lol
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

For 2020 ChampCar offered prizes for their iRacing program, $1500 race credit for the overall winner and one driver who participates in 12 events during the season. I was among the 9 who qualified - and as good fortune would have it I am the winner!

It was announced during today's Road Atlanta race: https://youtu.be/ROpfewbFgmI?t=19860 Bob Varsha makes the announcement.
-BP[/quote]