Wed June 13th, TRP

Information about upcoming races, swap meets & shows

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

Wed June 13th, TRP

Post by Basement Paul »

So Sunday was a rain out and at least a few of us are planning to hit TRP tomorrow. So far:

TireSmoker
32V
BP

-BP
Fred32v

Re: Wed June 13th, TRP

Post by Fred32v »

I'm there, also hoping to get my photo from Sandi of PS Photography.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I'll be out there with the Blazer tonight.

-Dave
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

The all day rain and 80's kept the crowd down, turns out the conditions were pretty good when it was time to race.
BP with the little Red Truck, 'Smoke with his S10 Blazer, and GMJohnny with his Turbo Regal were also there.
There was a 30 mph tail wind early which helped "OH YEAH" to its' fastest ever mph 95.05 on my 1st run.
I had a best for the day at of 14.62. This was all done with E85 fuel, tenths and mph s better than gas.
Only 5 trucks, but the 1st truck in line was the Ecoboost 13 second Ford with TRP stickers that beat me in the semis last time.
This time my 0.1288 reaction against his 0.2646 had me hard on the brakes for a win,
ran 14.782@79.5 on a 14.70 dial, 15 mph off my best speed. One truck broke so the final was set.
We had both dialed 14.65, my reaction 0.21 against 0.26, but again on the brakes ran 14.89@77.73 for the win.
My last 6 trophies were Runner-up, two in 2015, final a win in the Finals!
TireSmokers were there.
TireSmokers were there.
Sweet result.
Sweet result.
I don't remember the others best runs, BP was in low mid 12's, 'Smoke in low 14's, GMJohnny low 15's.

As always TRP is good fun, but having my Sons and 'Smoke there just made this night at TRP a little more special!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Winning is fun. Winning with friends is more fun. Congrats on going green!

I was pretty steady in the 12.4's around 110mph all night. I won pretty easily in the first round of Animal, but after some dialing errors on my part, I ended up losing in round 2 by .0001 seconds. That's pretty close... Oh well, my lights were all .0something ALL night long. Now that I've run the truck again, I have a better idea of what to do next time and rest assured I won't make the same mistake next outing. So fun!

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I think I made 4 passes. The truck launched so terrible (and totally inconsistent) that it just wasnt fun to drive. It was just a total slug off the line.
Getting into the converter seemed to make it worse. Like a 2.4 60ft worse. That's hard to do with a 700r4/3.42. I had a best of 14.40 @ 97mph, really no different than when I had the 670 on there. I was really hoping for more. I skipped eliminations, but did run a time-run at the end since we were done so early.

So the last pass was interesting. I decided to leave from off-idle, no load on the converter at all. It defintely felt better than the previous passes. That netted me a 2.15 60-ft, which I finally hoped was gonna give me a good pass..While changing the governor in the truck made a difference, I'm still too far over. I was having to lift off the throttle just a little to get the shift to happen before 6000 and then go full throttle again. I'm aiming for a 5400-5500 shift point. After I got it into third and squeezed the throttle again, it downshifted back to 2nd. WTF?? Then on the drive home, I had to go to 4000 rpm to get it to shift 1-2 and 2-3. And I couldn't go fast enough to get it to shift into 4th, so it was sorta old-school driving home with a 3.42/3sp setup. This felt exactly like when I had too-small weights in the governor. (when it did shift, they were good, positive shifts)

When I got home, I immediately put it up in the air and pulled the governor and found this. One of the e-clips came off the axle and it looked something like this. Yikes, that could've gotten ugly. I don't know what happened to the 4th e-clip. Hopefully it is safely lodged in the filter. You only need 4 e-clips, but B&M gives you 8 in the kit because they're so small and easy to lose. Well, I managed to lose the extra 4 since Sunday.. :oops: I called B&M today and they are shipping some out to me no cost. (guy had to put me on hold to talk to his manager -- they couldnt figure out how much to charge me). So they're free, but being ground shipped from California.

-Dave
Attachments
20180614_221607.jpg
wxo

Post by wxo »

Nice win, Fred. Sounds like y'all had a fun night together. Maybe we can all chip in and buy Smoker a bushel of c-clips for his birthday. :mrgreen:
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

The Regal wasn't as easy to drive as I expected it to be. The trans is weird on this thing. If you launch
with traction control on, you can't ride up into the converter and you bog off the line. If you launch
traction control off with the trans in automatic mode, you run the risk of wheel spin and it shifting into
the next gear before you want it to. So, the only way to make the system work is to go traction control
off, manual mode to start, and, to get the most consistent shifts, go to automatic shift mode half way
through first gear. It took some getting used to. The car also has rock hard tires on it, which will spin
like crazy if you don't feather it out of the hole. Fortunately, I was able to hot lap it and get in a some
passes to figure out the situation. My best pass before eliminations was 15.50. After sitting for an hour,
I decided to dial 15.41. I cut a .017 light ( not bad for not having been to a strip in 6 years ) but the car
didn't come to its number. I ran a 15.66 with some wheel spin. The kid I raced had a better light and was
on me just as we entered the traps and got the win. I did end up making a pass before we left and the
car had cooled a bunch. It ran a 15.29 and 90 mph. I think there's more there than that. A cold night
with some high octane fuel and lower tire pressure should put it in the 14's I think.

GM
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Let me know next time you go with it and I'll bring the VW for some turbocharged heads-up action!

Dave, good thing you decided not to race. That's sketchy! At least you found the problem.

-BP