Spring Carlisle 2018

Information about upcoming races, swap meets & shows

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

GMJohnny

Re: Spring Carlisle 2018

Post by GMJohnny »

My vacation request for Wednesday off was granted so I will be arriving mid-day Wednesday
instead of late Wednesday night.

GM
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

I've cleaned the TireSmoke grill and checked the box of picnic supplies, all we need now is the food.

BP and I will be leaving my place around 11:00 am expecting to arrive at the Residence Inn between 4 and 5 pm.
I'm glad to hear GMJohnny will be joining us, maybe we can have a "convoy".

Big Mike is picking Matt up at the airport when he lands at 5:30 pm.

It's getting serious now, looking forward to seeing everybody there! Maybe early to tell but weather might be OK.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Just a quick reminder,
The Residence Inn by Marriott Harrisburg Carlisle is a serious upgrade for us. The address;
1 Hampton Ct. Carlisle, Pa. (717) 610-9050 (around $200/night or about $70/person/night)
When you exit the PA Turnpike at Carlisle, go Northeast onto Rte. 11, The Harrisburg Pike, just like always,
but the Residence by Marriott is almost right there on the left.
Snow Flakes
Snow Flakes
Carlisle or Bust!
Carlisle or Bust!
I'm pretty much packed, can't wait to see everybody, expecting BP and GMJohnny Wednesday am around 11ish.
We expect to be at the Residence Inn between 4 and 5.
Fred32v
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

I'm hitting the road at 9am, so roughly 4-5ish.
AKROVER

Post by AKROVER »

I will probably be there before you all. I will probably leave before 8 AM and just take my time getting there. Google says a little over 5 hours, but I tend to be slower than google.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Looks like a slight change in plan as far as Matt Sutter goes. I'll be picking him up at the airport in the afternoon as Mike and Tom will be coming later than originally thought. So I'll dump Fred at the hotel and roll on to Harrisburg Airport for a pick up. Time schedule will remain the same though.

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I'm planning on hitting the road early Thursday morning, hopefully on the road by 6am so I can arrive by 11am.

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Although I only bought two rolls of black duct tape (thanks Dave) and four little clips for holding annoying seat belts, I had a great time. It was great seeing Matt and Matt coming long distances, Mike bringing Jay for his virgin Carlisle outing, and Tim rolling in from Buffalo. I see 442 and 32V regularly, but it was still great hanging out with them too. We missed Walt and Maverick, but it was cool hearing they were working on their small block project while we were on our way there. The highlight was Friday night idiocy going for ice cream racing against the Viper truck and coming home from ice cream watching the Rookie in the S10 VS Dave in the Viper truck. Luckily, everybody survived and the vehicles seemed OK too.
I put about 700 miles on the S-10 for the weekend with no hiccups. Definitely enjoying that thing.

Looking forward to next year's car trip, wherever it may be.

-BP
Attachments
Esso.jpg
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

It continues to amaze me that we can pack so much fun and memories into such a short time.
The Rookie's Residence was a cut above what we were used to, rooms, breakfast, etc..
The weather (Thursday was 40ish, windy, and a little rain, Friday sunny but still cold.) wasn't
able to keep us from having a seriously good time.
Program
Program
View from the turnpike
View from the turnpike
BP taking a selfie
BP taking a selfie
AKROVER had one
AKROVER had one
Thursday lunch (40 degree, 30 mph wind)
Thursday lunch (40 degree, 30 mph wind)
Dessert
Dessert
I take this picture ever year
I take this picture ever year
Dinner, service great, sat all 9 of us at one table
Dinner, service great, sat all 9 of us at one table
Friday sunny, not as cold
Friday sunny, not as cold
Heavier crowd Friday
Heavier crowd Friday
Seen it all
Seen it all
Look at those smiles, ready for fun!
Look at those smiles, ready for fun!
Saw this pair many times, both days
Saw this pair many times, both days
Viper Truck, TheRookie has to be proud
Viper Truck, TheRookie has to be proud
Little Red truck does it all, loading for trip home
Little Red truck does it all, loading for trip home
Supper at Chili's, great bench racing session Wednesday evening, BP's luncheons continue to be memorable,
the trip for ice cream will be talked about for a long time, very similar to some of the classics with WXO and me
and other similar encounters.

I'm looking forward to what next year brings.
Fred32v
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

I'm still a bit sore from carrying two impact socket kits and an AM radio around in
a free Hagerty bag (that eventually broke). This Carlisle meat was pretty fun as I
spent plenty of time searching for Oldsmobile parts. Ebay and online are a way easier
way to get parts, but Carlisle still offers the thrill of the hunt that can't be found
anywhere else. Nice room accomodations and a crew of 9 guys made this a great
trip! Hopefully next year there will be more guys there!

GM
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

I had an absolute blast, especially Friday night. Nothing cooler and stranger than racing against your own ride. Thanks to everyone for helping out TheRookie with his rookie season at Carlisle. I got some good stuff for the GTO that will keep me busy for a while. I'm still hoping everything works out in the next few months to sell and buy houses so everyone can come to Charlotte for the Auto Fair and stay for free. Less chance of freezing our asses off.
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

For you FaceBook fans, I did post an album "Spring Carlisle 2018" on FB with 33 photos.
Nothing about Ice Cream on Friday night, no one would believe we ate ice cream when it was so cold. :)
Fred32v
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

I'm surprised you didn't do some sort of montage picture for all the orange 57 Bel Airs we saw. You'd think they had some sort of clearance sale on the color or something.
wxo

Post by wxo »

Fred32v wrote:For you FaceBook fans, I did post an album "Spring Carlisle 2018" on FB with 33 photos.
Nothing about Ice Cream on Friday night, no one would believe we ate ice cream when it was so cold. :)
TRADITION! (From Fiddler on the Roof) Ice Cream at Carlisle is a tradition regardless of the weather. :D
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

I think Fred is subtlety referring to a new tradition of truck vs truck battle royale with driver swaps. I think TireSmoker has a couple videos that perhaps could be shared though perhaps privately :) For example, next year a 442 vs GTO battle would be good ;)