TRP Saturday 11/04/17

Information about upcoming races, swap meets & shows

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Fred32v

TRP Saturday 11/04/17

Post by Fred32v »

Rained all week, but the front passed, received a text from BP, said TRP was opening and he was going.
We met in Thompson for breakfast at their restaurant on the square. Good food, then off to the track.
What a day, my previous best was 14.69. Weather was mid 40's to low 50's, unfortunately there was
a 10 mph head wind and some delays when some folks were breaking.
My best pass of the day was 14.53 at 93.70 mph with my best every 60 ft of 1.9691, never had a 60 ft under .20 before.

So I had a pretty good outing. BP and Tony were there also, I'll let them tell you their stories.

What an incredible day we had, as always TRP is fun, sometime it's crazy fun!!!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Re: TRP Saturday 11/04/17

Post by Basement Paul »

To say we had a good time was an understatement. I made three passes, but was pretty sure my first pass would be my best shot to get my best number. I had my low fuel light flickering, my mirrors folded in, and my driver's headlight out for fresh air. Unfortunately the pass before mine a guy watered down the track and I had to wait in the burnout box for about 20 minutes for the cleanup.
So with a good burnout, and a solid launch I was able to get an 11.94 @ 113.28 with my best 60' time of 1.72. My other two passes were a 12.00 and a 12.01, so I felt good about backing up my number.

This was all made possible because I was able to get a re-tune this week at Hutter's and whatever he did helped my 60' time by a bunch (best by .07). Plus my driveability is better than it's ever been. It doesn't look like I'll be doing anything major to it over the winter except the batter relocation and some maintenance, but I'll be happy come spring to know it's ready to roll.

I'll let Tony tell his story, but it was cool too.

-BP
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Sorry fellas....I was beat when I got home and totally crashed out. But the dogs still needed their nightly walk.....so now I'm up. (Sort of.) I'll go into greater detail tomorrow, when I hope to have some decent video of some of the runs Paul made in his truck and my car to post.

It was an absolutely fantastic day at TRP....even though Dave had to work this morning and couldn't make it. But Fred, Paul, and I made it....so a good time was bound to happen. And I brought enough ice cold Pepsis to ensure that was the case.

Temperature, humidity, and the sun were almost perfect. The wind kept changing direction so we had either a material crosswind or a headwind to contend with. The Flag was straight for a lot of the day....but the skies were blue and the air was filled with the smell of high-octane fuel, burning rubber, and the sounds of engines revving to their redline.

I'll gladly go into greater detail when I post the videos, but Paul's right foot was full of 11 second magic on this first Saturday in November, 2017. After making three or so passes in his bad a*s, great driving truck, Paul was done for the day. But yours truly was still struggling with how to launch his car in a non-sucky way. No luck. (I'm hoping for remedial burnout and launch classes for Christmas. Or Festivus.)

So....I asked Paul if he wanted to make a run in my Chevelle....and he was totally game. He made three passes in all, each pass better than the one before it. Paul ended the day by earning a time slip for me that yielded an 11.9997 ET, a 110.82 MPH trap speed, and a 60 foot time of 1.6865. (1/8 mile was 7.6035 @89.74) Fred and I couldn't believe it and were absolutely amazed, grinning ear to ear the entire time. In the span of a few hours, Paul had nailed down two 11.9x runs in two different Chevrolets. The man clearly has skills.

On this sunny, blue sky day in Geauga County, all three of us had a wonderful time and left the track with smiles on our respective faces. Dave, however, did have lunch with me at Maple City/YOPS on my way home. :wink:
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Time slip of Paul's handy work attached. (#38 car, on the right)

Oh yeah......Paul also cut a .0366 light on this pass. Man was in the zone. :mrgreen:
Attachments
1199-TIMESLIP.jpg
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

-BP
Attachments
OH YEAH spinning and a little sideways.
OH YEAH spinning and a little sideways.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Here's Tony's car early in the day.

https://youtu.be/5omp4UD7NIA

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Here's OH YEAH in action early in the day.

https://youtu.be/amRg3TrmKCA

-BP
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

I'm liking the picture of "OH YEAH" and the videos, thanks.

Something is amiss with Tony's attachment.
Fred32v
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Try it again. It's working OK for me. Let me know if it's still amiss.

The weather is looking pretty sweet for next Saturday too. I might go back to normal tires and a half tank of gas and see if I can muster a 12.0 out of it.

-BP
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

BP your attachments, picture and videos worked fine,
but I was not able to get the time slip that Tony attached
unless I'm doing something wrong.
Fred32v
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

It looks like the file was saved as a TIF file...which is what my scanner sort of defaults to.

I'll try to resave it as a PDF file and see if that works any better.

Still working on some video. I can post them as is but they'll be "small". I'm trying to get a better format so that they can legibly be viewed Full Screen.....so BPs 11.96 can be seen by all the world. Or the one or two dozen of us on here, any way. :)
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I fixed the time slip and converted it to a standard JPEG.

-Dave
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Thanks 'Smoke for the fix. As time slips go, that one is seriously awesome!
It was a crazy happy moment for Tony and me, when that "11" flashed up on the board!
Fred32v
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I can autograph it for you if you want... :mrgreen:

-BP
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Well played, BP! Well played indeed!

Part of what made those three runs so cool/fun is that Paul kind of nonchalantly hopped in my car and started off by running a 12.22, a big improvement over the best I could do that day - 12.43.

Paul then immediately pulled back into the staging lanes and said "I pedaled it that time. There's more in the car." Sure enough, Paul then peels off a 12.12. (There's ony 11 minutes between these two time slips.) Fred and I were impressed....and my car was in the 12.1x. Life is good. We could go home at this point and head into Winter very happy with my car.

Not so fast. Paul then comes back down the return road and again immediately pulls into the staging lanes. "There's still more in this car. I didn't shift into third soon enough. There's a 12.0x in this car." Things are really getting interesting at this point. Fred and I are.....curious, to say the least.

So, Paul grabs his lucky white helmet, instead of using mine as he had the two previous ones. He's clearly serious about this. He goes back into the staging lines, waits his turn, does a very nice burnout.....and then proceeds to make an 11.9997 pass. Fred and I were watching/taking video along the fence and were almost giddy when we saw the 11.99 flash across the sign/tower. Paul called it...and then some.

ESPN 8....The Ocho....is now reporting that the only moment in sports history comparable to this was Babe Ruth calling his World Series home run before he hit it.

I thought it was POSSIBLE my new motor could do this.....with a good driver like Dave or Paul behind the wheel....but I wasn't sure and I didn't want to get to hung up on it. But it still feels pretty d*mn good nonetheless.

It was a great day at TRP, racing and hanging out with Paul, Fred.....and a bunch of other guys that we often talk to....but have no idea what there names are. I can't thinking of a better way to head into Winter on the Chevelle front.

Much thanks to Dave and Paul for all of their help his year, which was by far the best Chevelle Summer/Season I've ever had.

I have some video of Paul's 11.96 pass in his truck and all three passes he made in my car. Dave and I downloaded them off my phone last night and he'll edit/post them once he has a chance.

I'm still smiling.......