Dunn Benson Drag Strip

Information about upcoming races, swap meets & shows

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

oldvettedad

Re: Dunn Benson Drag Strip

Post by oldvettedad »

OH MAN! I go away fro a week of vacationing in the Dominican Republic and you guys go and have the REAL FUN! Maverick i am glad to see your car starting to work out! The victory of man (human controlled Maverick) over machine (computer controlled TB SS)! I love it!
Seriously, it looked like a lot of fun! You have a lot more left in the Maverick. That thing can be a 12 second car, and still mild enough for the street. Keep practicing, especially remember to leavr on the last yellow. You can watch the green on the way by.
Wish I had been there to see it, thanks for posting the video!
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

oldvettedad wrote:OH MAN! I go away fro a week of vacationing in the Dominican Republic and you guys go and have the REAL FUN! Maverick i am glad to see your car starting to work out! The victory of man (human controlled Maverick) over machine (computer controlled TB SS)! I love it!
Seriously, it looked like a lot of fun! You have a lot more left in the Maverick. That thing can be a 12 second car, and still mild enough for the street. Keep practicing, especially remember to leavr on the last yellow. You can watch the green on the way by.
Wish I had been there to see it, thanks for posting the video!
Yeah, but the table twidling looks like fun too!! WXO was showing me the graphs of the logs from the runs. That is COOL!!!!
Maverick
oldvettedad

Post by oldvettedad »

Maverick wrote:
Yeah, but the table twidling looks like fun too!! WXO was showing me the graphs of the logs from the runs. That is COOL!!!!

But think of all the sensors you need! Its enough to enough to drive you "sens(or)less" :oops:
wxo

Post by wxo »

Don't count me out yet. I think there might be a little bit more somewhere in all those tables. I would love to see 12's myself. :)
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

wxo wrote:Don't count me out yet. I think there might be a little bit more somewhere in all those tables. I would love to see 12's myself. :)
I'd be thrilled to see us both in the 12s. Can't believe we're talking about 12s. :shock:

I think the Maverick gearing, with the shorter tires, might be about right for the 1/4 mile. :D On the 1/8th mle I'm shifting in to 3rd at the end of the run. Could use some steeper gears on the 1/8th mile.

Do the time slips at 1/4 mile tracks typically also show 1/8th mile times?
Maverick
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Maverick wrote:
wxo wrote: Do the time slips at 1/4 mile tracks typically also show 1/8th mile times?
Yes, you'll typically get 1/8 mile ET + 1/8 mile MPH.

-Dave
oldvettedad

Post by oldvettedad »

TireSmoker wrote:
Maverick wrote:
wxo wrote: Do the time slips at 1/4 mile tracks typically also show 1/8th mile times?
Yes, you'll typically get 1/8 mile ET + 1/8 mile MPH.

-Dave
You will also get 1000 ft. So you should have your Reaction Time (usually a bummer), 60 ft, 330 ft, 1/8 mile, 1000 ft and 1/4 mile et and MPH.
Thats the dat you will have for your "graphs and Tables" :D

You could always spring for a recording tach to add to the data you will go crazy over trying to understand :lol:
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

You could always spring for a recording tach
I have a device that goes in series with the tach and remembers the high tach reading since last reset. Guess you'd call it an external tach memory.

Checked it after one of the D-B runs and it recorded 6K. That's where the rev limiter is set but didn't notice the rev limiter action while running.

I'd really like to get a new tach with built in memory and shift light. I'm too busy driving and looking for the traps to focus on the tach. Maybe I'll see if anyone on the Maverick forum wants to buy the current one.
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Maverick, after all the time and money invested in the motor, trans, rear, paint, etc., and seeing how well the car looks in street trim, would it be possible to try to find a matching set of rear rims for the car? I love your car a ton, but just hate to see those terrible wheels on it at the track or anywhere else. Maybe search for some used ones or if a mismatch wheel, something more vintage?

-BP
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Basement Paul wrote: I love your car a ton, but just hate to see those terrible wheels on it at the track or anywhere else.
-BP
Ditto
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
wxo

Post by wxo »

The wheels don't bother me. It's the timeslips! :mrgreen:
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

I know ... I know. I hate 'em too. :oops: Looked for some cheap Cragars but none to be found. Even put a "wanted" ad up on CR. But, went with the uglies to get it on the strip.

Just couldn't spring for new ones. Reselling just two, and getting most of my money back, wouldn't be that easy.

I'll keep looking. Maybe put another "wanted" ad up on CR.

BTW, I'm encouraging WXO to think about some used 15" drag radials to run instead of the 20", very tall tires he's running now. I'm thinking that would knock .3 off his 1/8th mile like it did for me. And, maybe put some ugly wheels on Smoke too. :twisted: :lol:
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

How keeping an eye out for a pair of Cragars at Carlisle? Need 15X7 with 4-4.5" backspace and 5X4.5" or unilug bolt pattern. Cosmetics not that important -- I can paint them if they're really bad.
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Keep checking Cleveland craigslist too in case you see something around here.

We'll look at the local meets too. Make sure you PM me and the other local tiresmokers around here your phone number so we can call you if we need you whilst shopping at a swap meet.

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Basement Paul wrote:Keep checking Cleveland craigslist too in case you see something around here.

We'll look at the local meets too. Make sure you PM me and the other local tiresmokers around here your phone number so we can call you if we need you whilst shopping at a swap meet.

-BP
Great!! Phone number: nine 1 nine 8 four 6 five 3 two 4. Thanks. Will let you know if I find something.

Jim
Maverick