Dunn Benson Drag Strip

Information about upcoming races, swap meets & shows

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

wxo

Re: Dunn Benson Drag Strip

Post by wxo »

Well I know that Maverick is coming armed to the teeth with his newly tuned 347 and slicks and all. I can't afford to be as casual about it as I have in the past. He keeps gaining on me. I'm running out of things to do.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

wxo wrote:Well I know that Maverick is coming armed to the teeth with his newly tuned 347 and slicks and all. I can't afford to be as casual about it as I have in the past. He keeps gaining on me. I'm running out of things to do.
Supercharger!!!

Now that you're a table twiddler it'll give you a new puzzle to work out. :D
Maverick
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Maverick, I recommend some subtle trash talking. Cast some seeds of doubt about the legitimacy of an SUV as a performance vehicle. Maybe throw in some things about superior Ford power or something like that. Of course you first have to lay down the good numbers.

Then in the background wxo will secretly add a 150 shot of nitrous or a performance cam and heads or something. And he'll start casting seeds of doubt about the legitimacy of racing an antique, or maybe throw some things in about superior late model technology or something like that.

Wash, rinse, repeat... :lol:

The best part is how much fun it is, particularly since you have chosen such different paths to get there.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Maverick, I recommend some subtle trash talking.
Bad idea. :( Since the TB SS had the Maverick by .5168 sec, I'd probably have to eat those words. :roll: Maybe I can get close enough to motivate some more TB SS improvements. :twisted:

If its not closer, I'm gonna be disappointed. Looking for reaction time <.5 sec and 2.1 sec 60' this time out.

The problem is we were pretty even at 60' but the Maverick was down .4 sec at 330 and down .5+ sec at the 1/8th. Only hope is the 2" shorter tire will help after 60'. But, those numbers are from last month's war. :(

I'll also try to rev a little higher in gears this time.

This is fun!!
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

We had a great time at the strip last evening! It was a fantastic evening to be out although a little warm for best results.

We made four passes. WXO got me off the line all four times and the Maverick was able to run the TB down twice. We both thought the Maverick got to the traps first three times but upon studying the time slips at home it turns out it was a 2-2 tie. Perfect!! Had we known we were in a tie we would have run another for a best 3 of 5 but I like having it end in a tie.

WXO is #1 and I'm #2 in the time slips.

It looks like the Maverick will be in the low 13s in the 1/4. I'm really pleased since the 13s was where I hoped it would be.

The drag radials worked! I was able to get on it pretty hard off the line without excessive wheel spin. Took .4 sec off the previous 60' time. The 2" shorter tires helped the high end too.

Had a nice surprise when we saw a beautiful Mustang Sprint there. We got a picture of the two Sprints together.

Bro-in-law Dan was our pit crew and photographer. WXO has the stills and video and I assume he'll add them in.

I'm really motivated to get some real numbers in the 1/4 mile. The new all-Ford car club here is going to Rockingham, NC at the end of the month so we might go then.

Thanks for the tips on warming the tires. Worked just as you described it.
Maverick
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

WXO's .0 reaction times were really tight. The TBSS acts like my truck, the first run is usually the best, but you folks didn't allow anytime to cool down. These were good numbers, wait until you have a 50 degree outing. That little Maverick showed quite a turnaround. Deep 13's for sure. I don't think that 1.999 60' is the best it will do, a little more aggression and there is still a tenth or even two in your launch, probably put the Maverick into the 12's. Hmmm! Looks like you guys had serious fun!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Yep, great fun!!

Cool down didn't seem important for the Maverick since both the engine and trans temps were normal at the starting line.

Rockingham isn't going to work for us. WXO is unavailable and its a serious race weekend. Not for us.

On one of the launches the 347 had a little hesitation. You can see it in one of the videos. Don't think it affected the reaction time much but maybe a tenth or so in the ETs.

I did remember to remove the air cleaner this time. Might have had some effect.
Maverick
wxo

Post by wxo »

Here's a video of one of our runs. This is run 3 if you want to refer to the timeslips above.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMIBola6l3I[/youtube]
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Caught me napping. :oops:

How 'bout posting one I can show people. :lol:
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

That's a good video! Your cars both look great running. Maverick, if you ever have more traction problems, you can heat them up more. I used to do a 1-2 shift with my Trans Am and heat the crap out of them. My 60' times were very consitently low 1.6x. But yours looks great launching and seems to have a real strong pull the farther it goes down the track. Seems that big motor swap has paid off!

Congrats,

-BP
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Nice video, both vehicles look great. Ok, how about a picture of the rubber on the quarter panels. I'm amazed that WXO's TBSS can do that burnout so easy and then just leaves. Tne Maverick looks really sweeeet cleaning the tires off, if it was BP, he would hold the burnout twice as long before releasing and truely heat those slicks. Maybe there's a line-lock in its' future?
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

I didn't try just mashing the accelerator on the start. Not sure how much wheel spin that would get.

Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Drop those tires to 17psi, heat them up a little more, and put it to the wood... it'll hook, I promise! I had way more torque and gear and converter than you have and I hooked everytime.

It's all part of the fun of learning about your "new" car combination.

You'll have 1.9 60' times right away.

-BP
wxo

Post by wxo »

Maverick wrote:Caught me napping. :oops:

How 'bout posting one I can show people. :lol:

DONE!
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

WE NEED THE HOLE SHOT VIDEO TOO!!!

That was one for the records. The posts that follow don't make any sense without it.
Maverick