stroll down memory lane

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

stroll down memory lane

Post by TireSmoker »

I have this file folder in my cabinet that has lots and lots of time slips in it. These ones are dated 10/23/91 and a handwritten note says "new timing chain."**

Based on the date and my ETs, I think I was still running the 2-bbl, but I definitely had the dual exhaust. Whoops, just flipped through my other folder of Chevelle receipts and found my Summit receipt for the 3310 -- 2/14/91 (precisely 17 years to the day before I bought the Cobalt!), so I had the 4-bbl by then. I guess traction was the problem. I thought I was consistently in the 14s with the 4bbl. Also, note that we were still area code 216 on the summit receipt.

Then, there's this one. Proof you could still find this stuff in junkyards back in the day.. I think the Cedar Rd. address was Karl Hack's house. Not sure why, though..

** I remember driving home from work one day in the rain, and somewhere in the wet while getting on it, i over-revved it, and later that day the car quit on me -- I pulled out of my parents street and it quit suddenly. I coasted into the tavern of chester, and got someone to crank the motor while I listened under the hood, and I could hear the chain rattling around. GM had made these timing gears with nylon coated gears and eventually the nylon would give way. This was the first time I ever had to get the car towed.