Potential Car Purchase

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

GMJohnny

Potential Car Purchase

Post by GMJohnny »

Tiresmokers…. there's a 50/50 chance that I will buy this car as a summer driver:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264622001025

I'm looking for more eyes on the photos to see if any issues can be found. I've found
a few:
1) Trunk key cover is missing
2) front bumper, rubber trim missing on driver's side of license plate - the blue trim is missing
3) heater hoses not connected on firewall.
4) small dent passenger front fender.
5) small rust driver's rear quarter behind wheel
6) front tires different from rears
7) door hinges sagging & door handles not springing back to full closed position (typical of this car)

The guy said that the car has no major leaks and runs well. Any help would be appreciated. I had my
monitor set to +200 and scanned photos a few times, but I might be missing something. If nothing else,
this will give you a way to spend 15 mins. of your time looking at a cool old Oldsmobile.

GM
MostMint

Re: Potential Car Purchase

Post by MostMint »

Doors dont seem to line up with the rear quarter panel - looks like they are sticking out. I know there is a trim piece on the end but still looks like the alignment is off just a bit. Could be hinges you mentioned

On the driver seat, the chrome trim with the power seat switch seems to be sticking out further than the passenger side. Seems like it may not be fully attached to the seat

Trip odometer hole - directly under it can't tell if that's just dirt on the inside or something wrong with the clear plastic there.

I can't imagine there is a lot of hot demand for this car. It'll be interesting to see if you can negotiate down.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

-The hood doesn't line up right on the driver's side.
-There also looks like a little rust on the rocker inside the driver's door toward the rear quarter.
-Are there supposed to be badges on the front of nose piece outside the headlights? Looks like something is missing there.

That heater hose missing is kind of a big deal as doing a heater core on that is a big job I'm sure.

The price is coming down...

It does need things. But on the plus side, they all appear minor fixes. Looks like a $5k car plus the cost to get it home. So maybe $5600?

Good luck. That thing would be sweet rolling down 480.

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

I looked but didn't see any rust around the edges of the vinyl top. Would be good to get a close up of those areas to check for bubbling.
Maverick
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

I'm going to watch this expire and then see what happens next time he lists it.
BP -- on the ends of the front fenders are Toronado emblems that light up. They're there.

Thanks for the input.... I'm not a fan of buying things sight unseen, but this guy has
really good feedback, and I have his number. I may use this thread to show other
cars I'm interested in. My goal would be to spend max $6000 to see how nice of a
car I can find. Potential options, Toronados, 1973-1977 Cutlass', El Camino's, maybe
a 1980's Eldorado, 1964-67 Cutlass',... So many options.

GM