2019 Driving Vacation

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Maverick

Re: 2019 Driving Vacation

Post by Maverick »

Basement Paul wrote:How many miles did it end up being?

-BP
BP,

I should have checked the odometer before we left but didn't. Had to be over 3000 miles since the most direct route from Raleigh to Bemidji is 1400+.

Jim
Last edited by Maverick on Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Fred32v wrote:It was fun following you, the Cossick Farm is in Togo, MN.,
not too far from Bemidji, the home of Paul Bunyan. :)
Hey 32V,

Didn't know you were from MN. It is really beautiful country. Would love to see it again but it's a really long drive.

We saw the Paul Bunyon statue but didn't stop for a pic. We chuckled since Michigan and other states claim him too.

Glad to know some Tiresmokers were following the travel log. Makes it seem OK to post it on TS.org.

Jim
Maverick
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

My Father was from Togo, Mn., all my children wanted to see The Family Farm.
On the farm
On the farm
If you look real hard you'll see BP, GMJohn, and MostMint, and Fred32v,
one of the absolute best days in my life! :D

July, 2016.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Something I neglected to post in the summary: smart phone/Google Maps connected to dash is much better technology than in-car GPS systems. Our 2014 XTS GPS data base is 5 years out of date and expensive to update. My Android phone is connected to the car's dash display and audio systems for voice calls (very convenient) but I can't use Google Maps which would give me an up-to-date map data base. 2016 XTS can do that but not the 2014. That's another "Disruptive Technology" where no one will buy in-car GPS systems anymore. Smart phone replaced wrist watches and now in-car GPS too. Smart phone also has the advantage of having all your contacts available for voice or navigation in ANY car that can pair with it and has the app to display the smart phone screen.

Smart phone on the Internet also eliminates the need to find a hot spot if you don't record your hotel location accurately. :oops:

If anyone knows a solution that would connect Google Maps on Android to 2014 XTS display and audio I'd like to hear it. Or, if iphone can do it, I'd (reluctantly!) spring for an iphone.
Last edited by Maverick on Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maverick
wxo

Post by wxo »

I have an iPhone and would be glad to work with you to see if we can make it happen.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

If the XTS were a 2016, the iphone would work but I haven't found a 2014 solution. The links you emailed are moving in the right direction, just need to find a solution that doesn't require mods to the car or $6XX price. (IIRC, the in-dash GPS map upgrade is about $150 so that's the upper limit on price) I expect the right solution is coming.

Thanks for looking. I think we'll get there sooner or later.
Maverick