Oil temperature gauge

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

MostMint

Oil temperature gauge

Post by MostMint »

I'm thinking I should have oil temp gauges in the race car. We cooked a bearing in the trans at VIR and I will never know if the temps were too high without gauges.

I want a gauge with an electric sending unit I think it will be more robust than the capillary tube. Looking at gauges on Summit's page I see marine gauges are actually way cheaper than regular gauges at this time so I'm wondering why I could not use a marine gauge in my race car? Any thoughts?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-200764
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
GMJohnny

Re: Oil temperature gauge

Post by GMJohnny »

I'm struggling to think of a reason that there's even a difference between auto and marine
gauges other than water resistance. Have you investigated the difference?

GM
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

My concern is that 140 degrees isn't low enough. I don't believe the operating temp on a manual should be that high. Beyond that, I would think oil is oil and if you can get a sensor in that trans, who cares what the gauge is made for. What's funny is that normally anything "marine" is a lot more money.

Did you say you were going to try to put a cooler on the trans?

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Not planning to do an external oil cooler for this trans unless the temps are too high. Really we went since 2011 without blowing a tranny in a race - almost 10k miles - but this last one made me curious.

There are gauges that do like 100-250. I'm thinking if I'm under 140 there is no problem. I was also thinking I might get another sending unit and put it in the engine oil just to get a read on engine oil temps also - which I expect would be higher.

Agree the marine stuff I always perceived as heavier duty - in this ad it says water resistant and more corrosion resistance.

Anyone have taps for pipe thread?
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I have lots of pipe taps, but need to know what size to make sure I have it.

-BP