Aftermarket Charcoal Canister -- Tech Tip WANTED

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Maverick

Aftermarket Charcoal Canister -- Tech Tip WANTED

Post by Maverick »

Has anyone installed an aftermarket charcoal canister on the fuel tank? The Lincoln and the El Camino both have their tanks vented to the air and the new fuel stinks up the garage.

I'm finding advice to use a two port canister with input from the tank vent and output to engine vacuum, either ported or manifold. Seems to me either of these would put 15-20 In Hg vacuum on the tank when cruising. I'm thinking it would be better to run the output from the canister to the air cleaner which would put just a little vacuum on the fuel tank. But, can't find anyone who has done that. Am I missing something?

Anyone added an aftermarket charcoal canister?
Maverick
Racin'Jacin

Re: Aftermarket Charcoal Canister -- Tech Tip WANTED

Post by Racin'Jacin »

What about a check valve - air goes IN but not OUT - could that work - might be easier than a charcol can
Maverick

Re: Aftermarket Charcoal Canister -- Tech Tip WANTED

Post by Maverick »

I posted the question on the El Camino forum and got this answer which sounds right to me.
hey Jim
it'll work, the canister is designed to run with a vacuum on it,

the vent and the vacuum goes to the chamber that has the carbon in it,
its open to atmosphere thru a thin white filter on the bottom..

so everything should be good till the filter plugs up,
but you don't have to worry too much unless your in a really dusty environment..

and for tuning
there maybe a orifice in the can or fitting to slow it down some if its too much flow
or you can add one..
The canister allows a limited amount of air to be sucked thru it by the manifold vacuum connection to purge the charcoal without putting a large vacuum on the fuel tank.

Also got this link to a 2-port canister.
if your looking for the 2 port canister, that's what the 89-91? TBI trucks had..
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/c...+canister,5180
Think I'll put the canister on my Christmas list.
Maverick