carb rebuilding

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

carb rebuilding

Post by TireSmoker »

So pretty soon here, I need to give Fatica back his 350 that is currently in my Chevelle. Obviously, the EFI won't go with it. He recently scored a almost perfectly new Holley Street Avenger 770 off craigslist for $200 -- new at Summit for $400. This thing is basically a 3310 with all the good add-ons -- quick change secondary spring, sight plugs for fuel level, non-stick gaskets, electric choke, etc. I'm gonna pull the EFI off**, put on the Perfomer RPM Air-Gap intake that came with the motor, and his Holley 770.

I also recently bought an Edelbrock 1406 for the Corvette -- 600 cfm, electric choke and I was pretty pleased with how well it worked out of the box. At Canfield this weekend, I picked up a 1407 -- 750 cfm, manual choke for a bargain $30. These things are $290 at Summit, I think. The outside looked reasonably clean, although the seller advised I get a basic rebuild kit for it. After opening it up, he was right. Nothing terrible, but there was some sort of white residue crap on a lot of pieces. But overall, its in very good condition and I think I got a steal.

And since I've been having so much fun getting back to the carburetors, I picked up a rebuild kit ($50) for my original Holley 3310 that I bought back in 1991. I bought one of those gallon cans of carb cleaner ($25) from Turneys, although there is no way to get the Edelbrock body into that can. I ended up pouring it into an old 13x9 cake pan I use for garage stuff. I didn't have a rebuild kit for the Edelbrock, so I just cleaned up the parts and put it back together. There's only 1 gasket.

Having completely disasembled both of them on the same day, the Edelbrock's are waaay easier to work on. A lot fewer parts. The tuning changes really would be simple to make without spilling any fuel anywhere. I think I'm gonna pick up a jet & rod kit for these things. I'm curious just how much faster a well-tuned Holley 750 would be vs. a well-tuned Edelbrock 750.

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

** I'm not giving up on the EFI, but as I continue to struggle with the fuel system, any new setup is going to involve a regular chevy mechanical pump feeding some sort of surge tank. So while I get the old pump replumbed, it will be a good opportunity to put Tony's new carb on. I figure I'll get to sort out Tony's carb on Tony's motor, so it'll be 100% ready for him when he puts it in his car. I imagine I'll be back to the EFI next spring.