online videos of whatever

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

MostMint

Re: online videos of whatever

Post by MostMint »

resurrecting the old thread!

What it's like for a regular person to drive an F1 car: https://youtu.be/BE7mgfwd6M8
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

This guy was really informative and did a great job describing the experience. The technology
that goes into F1 cars is insane. I was laughing to myself wondering what this guy would have
said about driving the 442 around the race track. Especially the horrible braking, body roll,
and tires, and I haven't mentioned impossible steering yet! Have you found a video that compares
F1 cars of today to ones from the 60's or 70's?

GM
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

we're back on track... I figured most of you are subscribed on this thread :-)

MostMint

Post by MostMint »

An entire vintage F1 race - onboard camera and engine sound only! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72ITS_rYisw
-BP[/quote]
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Go take a ride in this guy's hot rod '64 Corvette on the back roads.. a heavily modified C2 with C4 suspension components, 5sp, and a tunnel ram!

MostMint

Post by MostMint »

That is an amazing combo, but like dude with that kind of power and handling I think I'd want at least a rollover bar and a 5 point harness!
-BP[/quote]
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Then there's this, a slot-car remake of the Bullitt chase.. :-)

GMJohnny

Virtual Car Show

Post by GMJohnny »

MostMint

Post by MostMint »

when was the last time a pit reporter was in pit lane while a car was being serviced at a NASCAR race?

https://youtu.be/WUSECWVO2Js?t=1236
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

TireSmoker wrote:Then there's this, a slot-car remake of the Bullitt chase.. :-)

After watching this I started thinking about all the close up camera work they had to do.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

MostMint wrote:when was the last time a pit reporter was in pit lane while a car was being serviced at a NASCAR race?

https://youtu.be/WUSECWVO2Js?t=1236
And if you go further into it you see them doing a full pit stop on Benny Parsons - fueling in shirt sleeves!
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

How about guys pushing Richard Petty in the infield and they didn't throw a yellow flag or try to slow down the race at all. So sketchy and great, all at the same time.

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Since real racing is canceled I've been watching some iRacing. The first couple races I watched were the pros from NASCAR and Indy Car running iRacing. Then I watched a race full of dedicated iRacing drivers, like this:

https://youtu.be/9W7ZArGuBaQ?t=366

The racing is really very close with lots of passing. I find it frustrating that in the virtual world they use the caution flag so much.

Then I decided to watch the real life version of the same race:

https://youtu.be/dOa-t3KVrsI?t=960

What I learned from watching this is that while the iRacing looks good, there are many key differences. The fast line around the track is different. The cars spread out a lot more in real life. Everyone in iRacing is in their teens or 20's and most of them have the racing setup in their bedroom lol. Amazing number of times that in iRacing a driver can get the car almost sideways and recover.

I also learned the NASCAR coverage on YouTube is full length and with no commercials.

All this iRacing viewing is making me think - I can do this. So I started studying it. Besides the monthly subscription fee you have to buy cars and tracks ($12-$15 each best I can tell). Also need a setup with computer, monitors, headset, pedal and wheels. At the top levels there are iRacing teams there is no doubt these guys have spotters and help with car setups.

I don't really see myself making the commitment to see if I can get to the top level, but it might be fun to see what I'm capable of and work in my driving skills against real people instead of just AI drivers like the other games I have played.

I see the potential though - if I can convince enough people - to host races and race against people I know. Who knows.
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I did see Jimmie Johnson yesterday say during the race that one of the big differences is that there are no spotters. This being the case, you would be forced to have a three monitor setup so you have a more true 3-D racing experience and be able to see cars along side of you.
I watched maybe 20 laps or so yesterday. And like you said, why so many caution flags? I suppose to people get to use their "Lucky Dog" pass (which is a horrible rule) and so crashes don't turn into pileups. And now that I'm thinking about it, it makes it more realistic for pit strategy and such. But definitely slows the pace of everything, helped me decide to turn the channel, and remind me why I find NASCAR racing annoying.
I think I'd like to get into a "vintage" style NASCAR I-racing scenario. Racing the older cars might be more fun to me.

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Dale Jr and Roger Penske chat. The interesting part starts at 8 minutes in when Jr tells a story of how he obtained an original brick from the racing surface.

https://youtu.be/zDKc5KmaVSA
-BP[/quote]