406 Update

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

markss327

406 Update

Post by markss327 »

Well, I spent some time with the old gal over the last couple o' days. Well actually, about 3 hours last Sunday evening. The heads are done..... :D
I had 'em tanked and maged, cleaned all the valves, lapped, and re-assembled with the same springs from the 327. Finally, something accomplished! I then moved on to more ring filing. Rings for cylinders 1-3-5 are done. I have to admit, I'm having issues with the oil rings. The expander seems real big, and getting both the oil rings to fit on the expander, in the piston, at the same time, is a challenge.

I just haven't developed the 'technique' yet!
markss327

Post by markss327 »

August 1

All the file fit rings have been fitted.
The block is back at the machine shop - new cam brgs are in order. The cam wouldn't turn freely. I just didn't feel right. Although, when returned to Commercial Engine, I was told it was OK. Well, 19 years of QC in the Aerospace Industry, tells me differently. The block is at Hubertz Engineering in Painesville. I'll pick it up Wednesday - pm

I also looked at the core support. I'm modifying an extra one I have. The Nova runs a cross-flow rad, much like what's in Daves' Chevelle. The original opening was waaaay to small, so out came the saber saw. After some enlargement, I realized it wasn't gona look the way I wanted. Soooo, the support is set to go to Jim @ Future Tech for some 'Quality Modification'.
markss327

Post by markss327 »

August 24

The bottom end is done. I broke my ring compressor with two pistons to go. A trip to Harbor Fright, and $9 latter, I'm back in business.
Oil pump, filter adaptor, pan, front cover, balancer, this evening.
markss327

Post by markss327 »

August 25

I get home yesterday, and Colleen says, "Why don't you work on your car now, instead of staying up 'till 11pm..." Damn, I love this woman!!!
6+ hours of wrenching....
The block had a stripped threaded hole for the starter. Luckily, I already had a 3/8-16 heli-coil kit! I've been here before....
The oil pan took two hours to get to fit. This 400 crank, and it's huge counter weights, hit the pan by the 7-8 throw. A massage with a small ball-peen, gave me the clearance, but then it didn't line up with the holes in the block. Apparently, in my clearancing efforts, I widened (sprung) the pan, Sheeesh. Two hours latter, it's on.
The heads are on too. 17 bolts, times 2 heads, at 70ft/lbs, and running the tightening sequence twice, I'm just a bit sore this morning!

mb
markss327

Post by markss327 »

August 26

She's about 90% complete.
Valve train is in, and intake is on. She'll get a fresh coat of black Rustolium (rattle can) tonight.
She might go back in the car this weekend :):):):):):):):):)
markss327

Post by markss327 »

August 29

Due to a mix-up in motor mounts - the 406 waits patiently on the stand. A modified core support is being prepped for install.
The plan - to install early this week, and have it ready to fire by Labor Day.
markss327

Post by markss327 »

September 12

The motor is in.
Although, the new mounts don't line up. Off by 3/4 inch. Gona try shimming with washers to see if things move in the right direction.

Thanks to Paul, I now have a '04 Chevrolet Avalanche Z66. I love it!!!!
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Hmmm! Last entry in mid-September. Will we see this 406 make a pass this year with the best cool weather coming up?
markss327

Post by markss327 »

November Update-

Status Quo. I how have a 14foot, green, steel 'shelf' in my garage.....
All kinda things are now stacked on/in/around the Nova. The trunk is now Colleen's hiding place for Danny's Christmas stuff. Yes, Colleen has almost all her Christmas shopping done - well, at least for Dan.

On the mechanical front - the converter doesn't wana fit up into the pilot dia of the crank end.... dam aftermarket crank! I may have to pull the eng/trans back out to investigate.

As it looks, I'm pretty tied up until mid Nov. Thanksgiving weekend should result in some kinda progress. So... It's really doubtful if she makes it back on the road for '05. :(
Last edited by markss327 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

If your lucky, maybe there is a pilot bearing from a standard transmission still in the crank if the crank was reconditioned. I'm not to sure how important the crank hole is anyway. Possibly you could use a die grinder to make the hole large enough to allow the converter to set flush. I believe the converter bolts should keep things in place. Wonder who you could ask. Post when you have decided what to do. Hopefully before Easter. Grins.
markss327

Post by markss327 »

November 28
The Nova finally got some attention. The converter/flexplate issue has been resolved. The engine did not have to be removed. Woo - Hooooo! I need to get the correct grade 8 bolts. The exhaust is all connected, and the drive shaft is in. The steering linkage is back - (think notched oil pan for the center link). I've still got a ways to go.... Both front fenders, core support, headlight assemblies, grill, bumper, filler panel, all need re assembly. The engine still needs valve adjustment, intake/carb/distributor.
Amazing what can get done with a couple of uninterrupted hours.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
markss327

Post by markss327 »

December 2

The motor is just about complete. It now holds oil, and has been primed. Valves adjusted, intake and carb on, all belt stuff is on. Need starter and alt wiring. Need distributor and wires installed Shifter cable..... somehow, during the install, the shifter cable got re-located to the wrong side of the motor. No biggie, but I'm getting tired of working under the car..... The core support is on, (in?) but not bolted up. I'm going back to an engine driven fan. All new rubber fuel/trans line is tonight.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
markss327

Post by markss327 »

December 6

Core support is installed, and bolted up. I needed some specific fasteners - 5/16-18 x 3/4. Rad is installed, and coolant is in. New fuel line is in. Starter and alt are wired. Shifter cable is now properly routed, but not hooked up. The drivers front fender has been removed....nothing like sequential assembly. Also, there are fender-to-firewall seals I'm replacing, so the fender removal was inevitable. I'm installing a different trans cooler, and plumbing thru the new core support, hasn't been thought out yet.
Next up will be the distributor/coil/wires/plugs.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
markss327

Post by markss327 »

December 7

Things are moving right along.... Amazing what motivation will do!
I hope I'm not boring anyone with updates coming almost daily.

The trans linkage is done. Dist/coil/wires/plugs are in. I should be close on the timing. I've got plenty of rotation available. My wire separators need some attention. The trans cooler plumbing is now on 'Plan B'. Still working on how I want to run the lines thru the core support. I'm gona attempt to 'hard line' the cooler. We'll see what my tube bending abilities are! Also, the trans filler tube has always been an issue with this car. The bends in the tube itself, never matched the contour of the firewall. The tube never fit 'square' into the trans. Consequently, I've always has a leak where the tube goes into the trans. I'm buying a new battery tonight. Also, looking for some 5/16 ID rubber grommets.

The body assembly has taken a back seat to all the engine assembly. She looks a bit naked! Still need both fenders, filler panel, bumper, grill, headlight, and parking light assemblies installed.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Love to see that progress. Not boring. How about a current "as is" picture or two.