NE OHIO - where to get my block bored??

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Racin'Jacin

NE OHIO - where to get my block bored??

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Well the old six in my convertible Rambler rattles like a worn out singer sewing machine. Pretty soon I have to do something.

It's been quite a while since I had a block bored and have heard enough horror stories about various shops the question is WHERE DO I GO?

Do I really need to haul my "stock" six all the over to Gellner to get a simple bore job ?

One guy I know reccomended Hasek (I didn't even know they bored blocks) but I've not heard anyone ever going there - but my buddy highly reccomended them - apparently they are alot bigger than I ever knew.

So .....What say you? Good stories or bad - please share.

Call me crazy, but I only wanna do this ONCE !

Racin'Jacin

P.S. BTW I only want a Boil & Bore job - I have NO INTEREST in having this assembled by anyone else. I don't trust anyone I could AFFORD!!!!
;-)
Fred32v

Gardner Competition Engines

Post by Fred32v »

I've had Jeff Gardner do work for me, I've always been more than satisfied.
He has the facilities to do what you are asking for and much more.
He has an old web site, Gardner.competition.com but I don't think he responsed to emails.
I'd call for a quote (440) 635-0495. His shop is at the southwest corner of 608 & 322, behind Rick's Garage.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Racin'Jacin

bore job

Post by Racin'Jacin »

I know of Gardner ...

Any other suggestions????

Thanks!!

Racin'Jacin
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Here's the thing with Gardner: he does good work, just make sure you get a price from him BEFORE he does the work. He surprised me with a pretty big bill on the Caddy heads when he was done.

-BP
Fred32v

Michael's Racing Engines

Post by Fred32v »

Michael's Racing Engines in Macedonia did the boring, decking, etc. on the motor that is in BP's Firebird.
But that was a million years ago. Michael's does have a web site.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Racin'Jacin

bore job

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Hmnnn, Michael's I completely forgot about those guys!!!!

Thanks there's another one for my list!

Thanks!

Racin'Jacin
Racin'Jacin

bore job

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Basement Paul wrote:Here's the thing with Gardner: he does good work, just make sure you get a price from him BEFORE he does the work. He surprised me with a pretty big bill on the Caddy heads when he was done.

-BP
A fella we know had him build a SBC race motor last winter. First time out he bent the valves. Found out they forgot to install the inner springs (roller cam - no need for light break-in springs).

"he" fixed it and sent a bill.

Buddy takes it out again - bends the valves again.

"he" fixed it and sent a bill.

This went on ALL SEASON. Each time it was fixed they handed him a BILL.

In the end it was determined (by the builder) that the brand new aluminum heads (suggested for use by the builder) were the problem.

This guy had him build a "race" motor. He was paid in full - I realize that there are no guarantee's with this sort of thing, but several of the "problems" during this chinese firedrill were misassembled parts - still EACH TIME a BILL was handed over! We're not talking about some exotic motor here - it's a SBC for gosh sakes!!!! Long story short - about 2k was dumped into a brand new set of heads and nary an eye was blinked.
Definitely NOT the kind of engine builder I am interested in dealing with.

He dumped more into those heads for repairs than I have in my whole digger motor!!!! YIKES!!!

I'm sure every engine builder has one get away from him now and again, but it's how you deal with the customer AFTERWARDS that sometimes says more than how you got there in the first place.

Racin'Jacin
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I''ll second Michael's Racing Engines. That's where I've had all my work done. I've never had any problems with the parts I've had done there. Same as Fred, he's bored a few blocks and balanced my rotating assembly. Never had any assembly work done there, but I wouldn't hesitate having him do it.

-Dave