Tiresmoke.Org mobile command

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

Tiresmoke.Org mobile command

Post by TireSmoker »

It's not really a project, and it doesn't have an engine but it does have wheels and does feature propane power. Therefore, I figured it warranted an introduction in the projects forum.

I bought a '94 Coleman pop-up camper from my friend Marlena -- some of you met her when helping me move in Oct 2007. She made me a deal that I just couldn't turn down, especially with my pending vacation in August to the Smokey Mountains. It will also be onsite for the Oct 3-4 24 hours du Lemons race at Nelson Ledges.

More pics @ http://photos.studly.net/v/Dave/ColemanCamper/

It'll easily sleep 2 couples, plus a single. It has a stove which can be used inside, or mounted on the outside. You can see it outside in some of the pics. I would like to make an adapter so that I can hook up portable grill and not have to rely on the little green propane bottles. It has a manual-pump sink, or can be hooked up to external water. Also has a power hookup. The awning is nice sized that seemed sturdy enough. On the day that VeeDub and I set it up, it was quite breezy.

It's supposed to weigh about 2100 lbs, which should pull easily behind the official TiresmokeTruck while carrying the TiresmokeTwin in the bed. I figure that aChevelle on the U-haul trailer was probably a lot heaver overall, and the truck coped pretty well -- got passed by a couple 18-wheelers on long grades, though.

-Dave
wxo

Post by wxo »

Now you can save money on hotel expenses at Carlisle. All you guys that fill up a motel room can now sleep in the camper. What a deal!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Looks like Annie is ready to go too!

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

She's always ready to go somewhere. I thought about taking her with me, but I don't like the idea of just leaving her in the trailer all day while I'm out riding.

-Dave
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Looks new!
At 2100lbs, the TSO truck will hardly recognize it's presence, and you'll forget it's back there.

Marlena from the animal hospital?
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Yes, Marlena from the animal hospital.

The truck pulls it great along with the bike in the bed. When it gets to hills and wants to unlock the converter in OD, I shift it down to D. I got 14mpg from West Virginia to Tennessee, through the mountains on I-77 and I-81.

Tiresmoke mobile command is online and operational. See pics here.

http://photos.studly.net/v/Dave/Smokies2009/

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Awesome! The command center is fully operational and broadcasting live with fresh day to day action. Cool!

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Bristol Motor Speedway was a not-too-far-out-the-way stop, so I swung by there. As you're coming down the road, all of a sudden this one hill no longer blocks the view, the facility comes into full view.

It's both huge and small at the same time. It looks huge (see the pic of my truck parked under the vertical Bristol sign), yet inside, it looks tiny. A bunch of the gates were open as they were re-stocking concessions stands, etc. I just wandered in and took some souvenir photos. I can only imagine how loud that place must be with 43 Cup motors at 8k RPM.

Tomorrow I'm going to ride the southern end of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Camera will be set to Fred32v-emulation mode. :)

-Dave