2002 Honda Rancher 4x4

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

markss327

2002 Honda Rancher 4x4

Post by markss327 »

Well, it only took about 36hrs for some of the Nova money to burn a hole in my pocket.
Last Saturday AM, Dan and I went to Akron, to look at this ATV as found on Craigs List. It was a described - no surprises. Mechanically and structurally sound, and has decent tires. Everything works. Cosmetically, OK for the age.

And... the tinkering has begun. I have temporary possession of a shop manual. A valve adjustment is in order. Next will be an alignment. Toe, is the only adjustment, and currently, it's toed in, and should be 3/8in towed out.

Pictures coming. It's red!
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Action shots - either airborne or with mud flying preferred 8)
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
markss327

Post by markss327 »

It was fun tinkering on something new again. The valve adjustment is done. A lot of plastic body panels, and the tank had to come off before I could get to the top of the motor. .006in for each.
Font end is now aligned. The specs are 9/16in toe out, +/- 3/8in. It came in at 1/2in. Made a huge stability difference at speed, on pavement.

Now, for the fun part. There is a rubber boot, like a CV boot, that protects the rear drive shaft U joint. It's damaged. To replace, requires a swing arm removal, or engine unbolting, and a 2-3in shift forward to clear the shaft spline. I'm opting for the swing arm removal. Sounds like a Saturday afternoon project. Until the boot is replaced, any water forging, is out of the picture.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Yesterday was the first outing for me, Dan and the Honda.
There were 4 of us, all Hondas. No, muddin, but cricks and streams in Chardon became the first test. She performed flawlessly. Even with 300lbs of driver\passenger only once did I get hung up. It was while going over a 24in diameter fallen tree trunk. The front end went over, then it bottomed out on the chaises. A dismount and a little push while on the throttle, and it was of.
Even in 2feet of water with the tail pipe bubbling away, she never stopped making power. We came home all smiles, (and a little wet) and Dan was telling stories, all the rest of the afternoon.

I believe a 3000lb winch will be coming soon. Just in case.

No pics yet. My bad.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

3000 might be kind of overkill, and I believe, a little slower than a 1500/2000 pounder. Not to mention heavier over the front end. Get a Warn...

-BP
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

You won't need a winch if you can jump things correctly. I recommend more speed, at least that is what Evel Knevel would do. He was really cool!!!
markss327

Post by markss327 »

I bought this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3000LB-A ... 06.c0.m245

A Warn is like a third of the cost of the ATV itself....

The axle boot mentioned above, has NOT been changed out yet. It did get a 'band aid' prior to Sundays outing. I wrapped it with electrical tape, and it seem to hold up quite well. Yesterday, I dumped the rear diff oil, all of 2.2oz, and it was clean, no water contamination.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The good thing about the Warn, is that it will actually work when you need it to. I'd rather have a 1500lb Warn, than a 3000 lb something else on my four wheeler.

-BP
markss327

Post by markss327 »

The winch has been installed, and the CV boot on the rear drive shaft has been replaced.
I found (via C/L) a set of used tires and wheels, they're 25s off a 2007 Honda Foreman (the Ranchers have 24s).

I joined this - http://atvskool.com/
My first 'pay to play' outing, is coming up Sept 26.

I also joined this too - http://www.lakecountyoffroad.org/
This club will be participating in the 'Better In Mentor' parade, and Dan will be riding the Honda. Obviously, I be supervising, which means, I'll be WALKING....
Both clubs are family oriented.

Pulling the ATV around is the Imp. (class II hitch via Matt) Not the most ideal tow vehicle. 2.54 final drive and the smaller 3.4 V6. As long as I leave the tranny in 3rd, and not OD, it's tolerable.

I have pics, posting to follow, I promise!
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Last Sat was my first pay-to-play event with the Honda.
ATVSkool.com sponsors a monthly, weekend event. For $25 per person, and another $35 for motor home camping, you have the weekend and 1500 acres (3 square miles) of trails, mud bogs, hill climbs, river runs... RV sites have electric. Nice. There is a huge pavilion, stone fireplace, and a brand new bath house. Everything is family oriented. 15 minutes of organized orientation, lays out the rules, and property boundaries. Kids have the right-a-way. No foul language. No alcohol on the trails. No riding after 9pm, or before 8am. No generators after 11pm.

It rained most of Saturday, and I wasn't dressed for it...My bad. I did manage to log 23 miles of riding. Buried the ATV up to the floor boards, and had to winch myself out - twice. Awesome...
The Honda ran flawlessly.

Dan sat this one out. I specifically went solo to see what things were like. I was not disappointed.
However, riding two up is prohibited, except on a ATV designed for two up. Sooo... I'm in deliberations with the family chief finical officer, to allocate funds for a second ATV...
Wish me luck.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI