1994 BMW 325i

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

MostMint

1994 BMW 325i

Post by MostMint »

OK so I bought my first non GM car. It has 135,000 miles, tracks straight, stops straight, A/C works. It was from CA then TN - only couple years in OH so it is basically rust free.

Battery is dead DEAD. Starts right up with a jump and runs good. Battery (trunk mounted) looks to be <2 yrs old so not sure what is going on there. I have it out of the car and it seems to be taking a charge so still need some digging here.

Windshield has a crack, tires are cracking, has a lot of signs of being sun beaten - a little peeling clear, fading paint. Old seat leather not in good shape either. Cassette stuck in the player. Hit a coyote with it and it has some damage by the driver side headlight.

What is this car worth?

ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

The flaming skull floor mats are "priceless".
Matt Sutter
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

1974 called. It wants its floor mat and steering wheel cover back.

Seriously, that's pretty cool. Is this gonna be a winter beater? A fixer-upper flip?

Trunk mounted battery -- where are you hooking the jumper cables? If you're hooking to a positive post under the hood, what the cable like from the battery --> post ?

135k is low miles for a used BMW. Or at least not high mileage.

I'm sure you didn't pay much -- because I don't see you laying out 3-4k + for a car like this that you've never owned. Just my speculation.

-Dave
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I just hooked the jump to the battery. I can see the post under the hood on the driver side.
markss327

Post by markss327 »

KBB says $2600 in fair condition.
I'll bet ya paid $2000.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

I say $800. Maybe trade for a John Deere ?
Matt Sutter
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

BTW those floor mats are for sale. They will be at Canfield if you guys can resist them. I'll post the price after a couple days or a couple more guesses.
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

What do we win?
Matt Sutter
wxo

Post by wxo »

Those priceless floormats!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I won't put in my guess as I already know. :)

For that plastic on the bottom, Mequires makes a nice trim detailer that will bring that back to life.

Looks real solid. For spare parts, the Pull-a-Part had some BMW's there. Check their website at pullapart.com

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Well, I checked some of the local craigslists, figuring I'd maybe find the ad if it came from there but I didn't find a match. Looking at similar cars, I'm gonna guess around $1800.
markss327

Post by markss327 »

I'm changing my mind, $1200, or less.

I'll pass on the floor mats. :roll:
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Doesn't seem to be any more takers.

I really did not want this car. One of my coworkers had it. I told him I would take it to fix and sell. When I test drive it back in March or so, it was pulling to the right, the interior looked very well worn, there is a dent in the front, not to mention how sun beaten the car looked. IIRC Edmunds said private party retail was $1400. I figured maybe $400 for tires, frt end align and some odds and ends, so I thought I could make $400 on it. So I told him I was embarrased to offer him $600 for the car, and he could probably do better selling it himself. It took a couple months for a decision but he did finally agree.

The steering problem must have been air pressure because it tracks stright now, but instead I got a battery and cracked windshield I had not bargained for.

The battery I am pretty sure has a short in it. I had it on the charger for almost two hours last night and it was taking 10 amps the whole time. Looks like it came from Advance Auto Parts.
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

I was pretty close. I didn't figure Andy would ever pay over $1000 for that car.
Matt Sutter
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

So I have had the car for a little while and the task list is starting to become clearer:

1) Fix the dent in the front (done as good as it will be)
2) Dead battery (already been replaced)
3) Leaking engine oil (may be the drain plug) <- replace valve cover gasket 8/9 - we'll see if that fixes it
4) Rear window is loose (fine BMW engineering uses seals that bake and crack in the CA and TN sun) - window is not attached to the car by adhesives. Don't drive with the windows down! <- done 8/8
8. Radio is dead. Found power to the wiring harness so radio appears quite dead. <- new one installed 8/12
13) Driver side rear door does not open from the inside. <7/12 - this was the child safety lock setting
14) Reconnect plastic of inner front fender, front bumper cover, and underside ferring <-8/12

5) Muffler has a hole in it - just a small one near the back
6) Passenger side front window does not go down - the motor runs but it is not connected inside the door
7) Passenger side headlight is fogged up inside - read that this can be opened and cleaned
9) Front windshield is cracked
10) Makes a lot of tire noise. Further inspection revealed cupping on the front tires. Tires are 205/60/R15 Badyears and they are cracking
11) The transmission is slow to engage when I go into reverse or forward.
12) Seats have covers and they need them since the leather is pretty well shot.
15) Front rotors are very well worn and could stand replaced.

I'm sure there are a few more but this is a good start.

Acquired so far:

$600 for the car
$ 80 for battery
$ 23.42 for the Haynes book
$ 10.50 for temp tag!
$ 39.?? for sales tax and a bunch of rip off fees!
$ 5? wheel cleaner
$ 5? nic-n-fix
$ 37.?? valve cover gasket
$ 10 urethane for rear window
$115.?? radio and adapters
$ 1 credit for selling the mats at Canfield :shock:
$ 11 quart of synthetic and brake light bulb
$204 Firehawk GT

$1139 so far

Today I decided to compare the stock rims to the E23 rims. This requires taking the stock rims (at least one) off the car. After determining the lug bolts are 17mm (and not studs - like a regular car) I could not get the wheels free. After a little contemplation I decided the loose lug nut test drive would be needed. I loosened the lugs about a turn or two, then drove the car up and down the drive accelerating and hitting the brake. The first try did not work, but on the second try I turned while accelerating and braking and that freed them up.

After that exercise I looked at the E23 rims and the offset is different. The E36 (325i) rims are 7 1/2" wide and appear to have a 6" offset while the E23 rims are 7" wide and have a 4 3/4" offset. So it seems the E23 rims will protrude out 3/4" further than the stock wheels.

So my son and I applied the wheel cleaner to the stock wheels. They look a lot better but still not sure what I am to do about them.

On a prior mission I also took the radio/cassette out. It, like the battery, is d-e-a-d. A little help from my friends at bimmerfest.com and the radio came out easily. There are two little plates that hide 5-sided allen screws. After removing the radio I noticed a fuse on the back and it looked to be bad so I replaced it - but no help. With the key in the on position I measured 12v at the wiring harness (and the clock is not in the radio) so I presume the radio really is toast.

I have also done some straightening on the front end. I just wanted it to look a little more presentable. Results are below. Looking under the front of the car today there appears to be some damage where the bumper and underside ferrings come together. It's like it had a minor bumper hit and it broke up some of the connections underneath.

Last edited by MostMint on Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.