1994 BMW 325i

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I started in on the car with the buffer yesterday - and pretty well finished it up today. The Meguiars glaze worked well on most of it - there were a few spots where I used the Ditzler DRX-16 to get some scratches and scuff marks out. Also washed off all the buffing dust and cleaned the door jambs. It looks a lot better.

I spent a little more time with the rims but they are not going to get much better than they are now without a sandblast and repaint.

I also fixed the driver side rear door - all it needed was to turn off the child safety lockout feature.

This time it looks better in person than in the pics.

It still needs interior cleaning - and I believe it will respond well to that treatment.

I'm leaning toward an aftermarket CD player since replacements for the OE are about the same price.

Rear window weatherstripping is due Monday - I would like to get that in soon so I can drive it.
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

The rub-out job looks great. It looks to me, from the pictures, that the vinyl trim is faded pretty bad. Duplicolor makes a great vinyl paint that works awesome and Krylon has a plastic paint that is sweet as well. We painted white vinyl seats on chairs at work with duplicolor black and they lasted for years. I painted my fuel tank on my mower with Krylon fusion paint and it looks good after 3 years. This might be a fast way to make it look good without serious effort. Just a thought.
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

Looks Great! For the money that you got in it that looks like a steal
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Thanks.

Last week I drove it to the BMV to get a temp tag and to get the title switched over. The rear seal is not going to hold the window in so I need an adhesive. For now the adhesive is blue masking tape.

My efforts on this car have been delayed by selling at Canfield, and the tuner software for my SS. Too many playtime projects - work is starting to be real inconvenient.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

The temp tag is expiring on Friday and somehow that prompted me to get to work. This weekend I removed and reinstalled the rear window, replaced the leaky valve cover gasket and ordered the radio/adapters from Crutchfield.

It still has a little oil to burn off but I think the supply is cut off.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Last night I fixed the second oil leak - the washer on the drain plug had a groove from some past improper install. Put a little sealer on it to fix it.

Fixed the third brake light (bulb in the missing rear window pic above)

Reattached the inner fenders and various other plastic pieces underneath in the front. The pass side inner fender had been rubbing on the tire to the point that a new hole formed in the inner fender. These inner fenders are still a little cracked up but should look a lot cleaner since they are not hanging loosely under the car.

Installed the radio. Highly recommend Crutchfield. Bought the wiring harness and antenna adapter from them - also came with detailed instructions to make the install easy.

This morning took it to echeck and it passed.

edit: Adding Firehawk GTs today for $204

Also going after the outside temp sensor - the dash reading says it is -35 outside all the time, and there are two wires hanging down behind the frt bumper where I think the sensor was.
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I can only assume at this point, you are going to keep this car? It will be basically new by the time you're done fixing EVERYTHING.

Soon you will be talking like AHNOLD!

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

If it bleeds, we can kill it

Changing the tires did not cut the noise. I come to learn that the rear wheel bearings are the cause of the problem. So that appears to be next on the agenda.

The Firestone store gave me a list of services the car "needs" to the tune of $986! And that did not include the rear wheel bearings. It's only 2200 miles into a full synthetic oil change and they are recommending I change the oil. I think I'm in the wrong business.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

this project ran out of momentum so I sold it. Made a couple hundred bucks.
-BP[/quote]