1999 Buick Regal GS

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Autocross yes, Mid-Ohio would be a different story. Eight years newer and over 100hp more.
Road & Track had 0.83g on a 200 ft. circle with the run-flat tires on the STS-v.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Perhaps we should rent mid - Ohio & try it out!!!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Today the GSE got new plugs, wires, high mileage oil change, wipers, and some injector cleaner. Oh yeah, it also got a K&N air filter (yeah K&N!). I was going to put belts on it, but they're good enough to make it until I get a smaller supercharger pulley. I'm going to get a 3.4" pulley eventually. I guess with this pulley, I can still run stock plugs and computer without any side effects. This should get the boost up around 11psi. Right now it's good for just about 8psi.

The plugs and wires as far as I could tell were original (Packard numbered wires and NGK platinum plugs) and definitely looked USED.

It appears that the rear valve cover has a small leak. I think there was a recall about this somewhere, but I'll look into it to see if it might be covered. In the meantime I snugged down the valve cover to hopefully slow it down.

So far I like this car, but it's been pretty crappy weather-wise since I've got it, that I really haven't done anything but drive it nicely. Today I ran through first and most of second gear (up to 70) and it does have a nice pull to it and I'm averaging about 24mpg. I'm still on the same fill up since I bought it.

-BP
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Mr. basement... the valve cover in question for the recall was the front one, because it would dispense oil on the manifold under hard braking. ( ps, don't forget to check your supercharger oil!!! )
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Also, be aware of lower intake manifold leaks. This will introduce coolant into the oil. This effects the 3.8 as well as the 3.4. There is a class action suit against GM and Dex Cool. I believe, if you qualify, GM pays up to $800 for the repair. The root issue is the gaskets don't hold up against the coolant. Go figure. I've read where in April 2004 the gasket material was updated.
Even though, I'm watching my 05 Imp.

Google "gm lower intake manifold gasket" and "Dex Cool"
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

At this point the repairs would have needed to be done by now, and it doesn't appear to cover the supercharged motor anyway. Oh well. I guess I'll just have to fix the problem like everybody else.
The only good news is that the coolant and the oil both look like coolant and oil, with no mixing going on, but today I smelled a little oil burning when I stopped, so at least a little oil is getting to the exhaust...

-BP
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Yea, your probably right. Maybe the S/C motors got better gaskets to cope with boost. None the less, your external leak should be a simple fix.

Any accessability issues to the back three plugs? :roll:
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

markss327 wrote:
Not as long as you're willing to lay on top of the engine. Or maybe that just for us short guys. :)

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

markss327 wrote:
Not as long as you're willing to lay on top of the engine. Or maybe that just for us short guys. :)

-Dave
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

I think anyone who works on a s/c buick must lay on the motor. I am nearly 6 foot & cuddling my motor was required. That's ok, my car & i have that type of relationship. We're tight!! You know, injection is nice, but..........
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

I just hugged my Supercharger this week. :)
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I pulled the strut tower brace off and that made things a lot easier for me to get to them. You have to be real careful with #6 as it sits right on the O2 sensor and it would be easy to break it. I neeled on the front of the car and was able to reach all the plugs without too much trouble. I'm sure an Impala or bigger car would be easier with more firewall space.

-BP
markss327

Missing boost

Post by markss327 »

Heck, I just installed a strut tower brace... :roll:
And, I believe the 60deg V6 is a tad different. Between the alternator, coil packs, power steering, heating & AC plumbing, the back three look tough.

Man, you guys and your blowers. Now I feel out of the loop. Do the wives know about this activity?
OK, I found myself looking in Auto Trader for an '00-05 Imp SS....
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I'm pretty sure the supercharged Impalas were only '04 and '05. '06 was the V8 and the best Impalas before '04 were LS with the N/A 3800. The supercharged cars were Regal GS from '97-04, Grand Prix GTPs and Bonneville SSEIs (same years), and Park Avenue Ultras. They actually started the supercharged 3800s in '92 (almost positive).
There were a very few Oldsmobile 88 LSS cars that had the supercharger option too.

-BP
FAST 87

Post by FAST 87 »

I really would like to see you drive this one for oh I say 3 months
806RWHP