1978 Sedan DeVille

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

1978 Sedan DeVille

Post by Basement Paul »

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/943315850.html

Shown above is my newest project. It's a 1978 Cadillac Sedan DeVille that JUST turned 57000 miles.

When we first went to look at the car, it was sitting back in a garage it was too big for. The garage was a little damp, but the door was open, so that helped keep it reasonably dry. The car allegedly ran, but it was flat dead so I could not verify this.
Apparently these people won the car from a Crawford Auto Museum raffle that was held at the new car show at the IX Center (I remember 32V buying tickets for this car). The title shows that they took title on the car in November of 2004, and have only put on 600 miles in the four years they had it.
Not knowing much about the car, even after looking at it, I thought the $2500 asking price was too much. I thought that if I could get it for $800, I would buy it, so that's what I offered (and she took it to my disbelief!!).

Today 32v, johnny442, and I grabbed a tow dolly, 32V's Chevy, and an insufficient amount of tools and headed to Euclid to pick this car up one way or another. After exchanging payment for title and keys, we went after the task of starting the car. Being that it had a brand new battery and no power at all in the car we figured a bad ground. After some screwing around with a $.50 pair of pliers, Johnny was able to get the ground cable bolted correctly to the battery, and we were able to turn the car over. A quick shot of ether to give her a boost, and it started (yeah!). A couple more pumps on the pedal and it was running.

We drove it out on the street, put some air in the tires (one of them in question from dry rot), and some historical plates I had from my Vette. So far so good.

We made our way to the freeway, and this thing was running smooth. We couldn't drive too fast anyway since the empty tow dolly had a swaying problem, so we were keeping it under 55. The car was pulling to the right from the get go, but around the bend on RT90 east by 271, the pull was getting worse. Johnny calls me to tell me my RF tire was going flat quickly, so we pulled off to the side.

Being too close to the speeding traffic, we decided to air up the tire and pull up to the wiegh station to get off the road. Doing this used up just about the last of the air that we had in our tanks. Since we didn't have a spare, we were going to just load it up on the tow dolly, but flat tires and tow dollies don't mix as the flat tire lowered the car enough that the dolly hit the frame of the car, preventing us from driving up on the dolly. Now what? :roll:

About this time the local authorities arrived on the scene... the funny part about this is that the Willoughby Hills cop that showed up is my neighbor, so while I was having a friendly conversation with Matt and his partner, 32V was rummaging through the woods for a makeshift ramp to get our ride on the dolly. In this case, it was a large ROCK. By the time I was done jawjacking with the fuzz, the car was up on the dolly. With some quick adjustments, and after tying it down, we were finally on our way (again). (man am I tired of typing)

Anyway, we finally mad it home, inflated the sad tire up with my compressor in the street, and drove the car in the garage. More to come, but here's some initial pictures...

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

-BP
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

A seriously fun way to spend a sunny Sunday afternoon with your family. The temperature was a near record 62 degrees at 7:00am.
By the time we got to this car about 11am the temperature was in the 30's with a steady 40 plus mph wind blowing.
I don't know what the wind chill was but that 20 minutes we spent on I90, putting that car on the dolly,
was burtal and I wasn't the one laying on the pavement trying to security our load.
The Silverado rode better with the Caddy on the dolly then when the dolly was empty.
Sure was wishing I had my camara for a picture of that garage this car was stored in and a shot of the police cruise setting next to us
would have been priceless. I can't believe I didn't take my camara, another lesson learned. Next time. :(
Last edited by Fred32v on Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Besides filling up the garage, what are you going to do with this vehicle?
markss327

Another Boat Anchor

Post by markss327 »

MM-
I see BP doing a quick flip.
$800, add in $500 for tires and misc fixits... it's gota be worth AT LEAST $3500

I give it 90 days.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Can the Sedan DeVille be ready for the 2009 SPRING Carlisle. April 23rd?
It would be a great ride and could haul a gang of us around town on Saturday night.
We can give Basement a ride home after he sells this in their Car Corral.

That's not much more than 90 days from now.

I wonder if Canfield is within the 90 day window, he sold another Cadillac in their Corral.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I'd say that markSS is right on the money. The tires (already priced through mostmint) will be $250. That leaves me with probably less than $200 for other stuff. I'm thinking that after my $1200-1300 investment, if I can't clear over $1000, I'll just keep it and drive it. It's still a 57000 mile car, and all the belts and hoses have already been replaced. I think on ebay, cleaned up right, it will do about $3000.
If I do keep it, I'll do a set of duals, tweak the carb and timing, and drive the heck out of it. It has 425 cubic inches, so it has LOTS of torque and would run real strong once I let it breath a little.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

So I vacuumed and vacuumed, and put down some anti carpet stink to help get rid of the mouse nest smell in the trunk. I also found another mouse nest under the rear seat, right on top of the other build sheet. The mice ate some of it, but about 3/4 of it is still there.
It has a (ugh) 2.28 rearend gear, and was delivered to a dealership in PA originally. There is no tilt wheel or passengers side mirror, just like my '69. Also, it's a straight bench seat, and not split. There are a lot of similarities between this car and my '69. It almost makes me want to sell the Trans Am, and make a street / strip car out of it (not going to happen though).
Oh yeah, I painted the brake booster and master cylinder flat black as it was covered in rust. Looks much better.

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I've seen that car before. This guy gets a 10 for style points that's for sure.

I wonder if the hood ornament tilts back at the top end.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I talked with that guy when he was still in the 11's running a Caddy motor. I've heard since then that he has switched to a big block Chevy. Either way, he's running pretty hard for an all steel monster.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Today after work despite cold temps, I washed the motor and the outside of the car. There's still some shine there, and it really still needs a good buffing. Starting to really look nice again though.

-BP
markss327

Moving Caddy

Post by markss327 »

Well, it's definitely got potential. I don't see any brown stuff on the quarters, front dog legs or door bottoms. Seems rather clean.
Nice find!
The 425 probably has whimpy compression, no matter, with those gears, it'll probably hit 70mph in low. It's your kind of freeway car!

83 days!!! :wink:
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

32v made the trip to Akron on Thursday to get the new tires mounted up. I picked them up yesterday in the snow storm and mounted them up today. New Firestone FR380's.
Today I also mounted the "new" trunk key lock cover as the old one didn't have a cover. Today marks the first time in my life that I've ever successfully used a pop rivet (believe it or not). :shock:
I also applied two very generous coats of Armor All to the soft top as it was really dry and has probably not been treated in at least five years. Needless to say, the roof looks a LOT better.

More to come...

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Today I tested the blower fan and it works under direct power from the battery, so I won't need a new one. After replacing a couple bad fuses, the inside lights now work, but once I got that working, the lights inside would NOT turn off. I narrowed the problem down to the driver's rear door light switch not contacting the door correctly so I shimmed it and it works fine.
A bad fuse got the radio to turn on, but there's no sound or display. It just reads am / fm / or cb. The antenna goes up about halfway on it's own, but I'll need a second hand to work it up and down.
I got the spare tire all mounted up with the cover on it too.
I can hear the a/c clutch activating when I switch the hvac controls too, so that's encouraging.
I need to find the horns under the hood so I can whack them with a hammer. The switch clicks when I push in on the horn button, but no noise.
I'll mess with it more tomorrow.

And in case you wanted to know A LOT about a '78 Deville:
http://www.100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad1970/cad78d.htm

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

So last weekend I spent some time with a buffer in the garage with the '78. I used a rubbing compound with the high speed buffer, and then a cleaner wax on the orbital to clear up any buffer marks, and the paint shines like CRAZY! The pictures here really don't do it justice. I also spent some time with a 00 steel wool and some chrome cleaner on the bumpers and grill, and made a huge improvement on the chrome.
I armor all'd all the interior, and reapplied it to the roof. The only thing I have left to do is clean the windows, reinstall the mats (oh, I scrubbed those too), straighten the front bumper, and fix the headlight, and it should be ready for sale.
I've been trying to get a radio too, and may make one more trip to the boneyard after work Saturday to try and find one (or two).

Getting close to selling!

-BP