The Anvil

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Noisy Cricket

Post by Noisy Cricket »

Actually in most of the world it WAS the Passat.

The Fox is a kind of Brazilian half brother, everything is the same but not quite, sort-of. I suppose it's like the difference between an Australian Falcon and a US Falcon.

IIRC it's only 3000 ever made. For some reason 1085 produced in 1986 springs to mind. The list price was in the neighborhood of $20k, kind of expensive for a make that was still associated with the aircooled POS.

As far as names go... it still has to come to me. For now I am just calling it the wagon. "White Trash 2" springs to mind, though. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbnIpdYj ... annel_page was White Trash)
VeeDub

Post by VeeDub »

nice to see your sticken w/VW. Haha...what a small world.. I met you once back in 2001 at nelson ledges, at a track day. I was the guy with the black 91 GTI! I'm still driving that car. It has been great to me, almost to good to me. It's the reason I'm building my VR project. VW's will hook ya'! Thanks for putting the pics from that track day on your web site. I was wondering what plans you might have for that G60 engine? I might be interested in it or part of it if your looking to move it. Anyway, nice to see your on tiresmoke. Good Luck w/ the new ride.
VeeDub

Re: VW What???

Post by VeeDub »

markss327 wrote:So, it's an Audi with VW badging. Interesting.

Yes Audi's relationship with VW is like GM with Chevy,Buick, Cadillac, etc.. V.A.G (now 28% controlled by Porsche, the majority BTW) Bentley, Lambo, Bugatti,Seat, and Skoda..... Thats why a Porsche Cayenne and VW Toureghe (SP) look so much alike, same with a Audi A4 and the older model Passat.
Noisy Cricket

Post by Noisy Cricket »

VeeDub wrote:nice to see your sticken w/VW. Haha...what a small world.. I met you once back in 2001 at nelson ledges, at a track day. I was the guy with the black 91 GTI!
Wow yeah, small world. I seem to keep meeting the same nine or ten people over and over again :)

I am kinda thinking of selling off all of the G60 bits. I know I have a terminal packrat problem... :) I need more SPACE! The wagon ("The Glacier"?) came loaded to the bumpstops with everything from another wagon that the guy couldn't sell...

The only problem is that if I sell off the G60 parts, I'm obligated to pay for the work that I'd had done on the head, and 8v heads just aren't worth it. For the cost of rebuilding an 8v head, you can jump to a 16v. So, I may hang on to the head, but let go of the rest.