Air Supply

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

Air Supply

Post by TireSmoker »

Well, I spent the better part of the weekend finishing a project I've wanted done since I moved in -- air compressor in the basement, but plumbed up to the garage.

Sounds like a simple task, except my main electrical panel was full, with no room for expansion, and my compressor runs on 220 volt. So, after rearranging some circuits in the main box, I pulled some small breakers and installed a 50 amp breaker. From there, I ran #6-3 wire to a new sub-panel located at the south end of the basement. The main panel is on the north end, and it's 62 feet, wall to wall. That's a lot of joists to drill. and a lot of cable to pull. I installed a 220 outlet right below the new panel for simplicity.

For the air line up to the garage, we just used some 1/2" black pipe. We had to drill through the concrete block in the garage, but it was relatively simple. I mounted my hose reel to the wall, and called it done.

I can't hardly hear the compressor when I'm in the garage (in the house, you definitely know its running). I figure the consistent environment will only help the compressor, I have air in the basement and the garage, and I don't have the move/unplug the clothes dryer to use the compressor anymore! Lastly, I now have easy electrical expansion in the future.

Carlisle content: The hose reel and the yellow-coiled hose were both purchased at Carlisle in years past. It will power my Carlisle-acquired rt-angle die-grinder to scrape the water pump gasket surface on my Pontiac.

-Dave

Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Definitely worth the effort. Sometimes the longer you wait the sweeter it is.
You gotta be lovin' it! :)
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Nice. Now to build a closet with sound deadener for the compressor.

Way more interesting than painting walls. :)
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

MostMint wrote:Nice. Now to build a closet with sound deadener for the compressor.

Way more interesting than painting walls. :)
I think the sound deadening is a long way off, but something Dad and I did briefly discuss.

It did power up this morning around 7am. Must be a small leak somewhere. I think I might look for an appliance (A/C) timer so that it doesn't power up between midnight-8am.

-Dave
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I'd probably just shut it off when not in use.

Last thing you need is an electrical fire (I know the breaker should stop this) or the motor running continuously when the belt breaks during a cycle that started right after you left for work or you are on the next long haul. Same thing if one of the hoses lets go and you are not there.

I didn't think you could get one of those timers for 220.
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

You make a good point about the potential failures. Something I'll keep in mind.

I don't know if they make 220v timers or not, I just assumed they did. I'm a big fan of timers.
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Isn't Air Supply a band?
Matt Sutter
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Yep.