'89 Firebird Formula 350 anyone?

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Well, it sounds like the car is going to end up in the hands of someone here -- I didn't think there'd be that much overall interest. I need another project car like I need a hole in the head, but I certainly wouldn't have let it go unsold for $1000.

-Dave
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

I'm ready to get wrenching again on something. I think the 84 BMW was a bit over my head, but was still a lot of fun. And I had actually did all the maintenance on the 97 Lincoln. I'm getting pretty good at the basics. For the advanced stuff, I still require some beer and/or cash bribes for a helping hand. But that's what it takes to learn. I'm just a late bloomer :) I also figure there'd be a lot more help and spare parts around this kind of car versus others.

Just going to be a fun project, summer car that helps keep miles off the lease. Honestly, I was hoping for a manual tranny, convertible project. But my budget doesn't allow for that and this does. So either I wait a while or jump on a great second choice.

But yes, proximity, finders, and former ownership all give dibs to WXO. I'm just a willing backup.
wxo

Post by wxo »

Hmmm...do I detect some subliminal persuasion here. To be honest, I can be sympathetic to a young fella wanting to work and learn on a good project car. By the way, Rookie, did I mention T-tops? While not a convertible, it's a good second best.
wxo

Post by wxo »

OK, I went over and brought the Formula home. I took it for a drive around our neighborhood and here is what I experienced. It was hard to get it to turn over even after the neighbors had said they charged the battery. I got it to fire and drove it up the street. I runs very rich at idle and low rpms, but smooths out as the revs increase and feels smooth and strong. The tranny shifts nicely, but I wasn't able to get going fast enough to evaluate it throughout it's range. The brakes feel good and solid and it stops in a straight line. The tires look very good. Not new, but very good. The body is pretty good also. It needs hood struts and headlight motor work. The kid has torn apart the interior in an attempt to make it better. It is still torn apart. The console has been removed along with most of the trim for the headliner. He broke the rear hatch glass at some point in time and replaced it and I'm not sure if he has finished the job. There are some hatch latches sitting on the passenger floor. The the body looks good with no apparent dents and the paint is good except in the rear. The clearcoat has peeled off in places and it needs some TLC. I'm sure there is more, but this is only after the first 15 minutes of looking it over. Underneath it all, I think this car has a lot of potential and a lot of fun left in it. It has about 140K on the clock. I plan to pull out the battery today and make sure it is charged fully and the terminals cleaned before testing again.
Sooo....Rookie. Are you still game? If so, it's time to finalize the plans to get some money down here and get a title for it. We also need to discuss some plan on where we go from here.
Do you want me to work on it to see if I can get it running well enough to tackle a trip to Cleveland. Based on this initial evaluation, I'm optimistic that it will make it. Let me know what you think.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

As long as the alternator is charging, I think it is already ready to go.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
markss327

F Body NORTH !!!!

Post by markss327 »

Hey WXO, It does sound good.
Maybe a set of plugs, a fluid and tire check, and point her North!!!!
I'm glad you moved on this - even though you decided not to keep her.

Rookie, you're up! 8)
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I'm still waiting in the wings in case things dont work out..

-Dave
wxo

Post by wxo »

One of the first things required is to get 'er bought and then get some Ohio tags on her; temporary or otherwise. I've forgotten all the Ohio licensing requirements. Insurance, e-check? What's next?
I'm trying to figure out the cause of the overly rich condition at idle. Black smoke is coming out of the exhaust. The engine check light is not on. I wonder if a stuck-open injector could be causing this? After I get the battery online, I think I'll have a listen to the injectors while it's running. I'd hate to have the cats or O2 sensor ruined by the soot if I can help it. I'm also thinking of clearing the DTC codes to see if there are any that pop up again.
Feel free to check in with ideas as they occur.
markss327

Black Smoke

Post by markss327 »

The first thing that comes to mind... is the dash -check engine- light functioning?
Then, I'd look at the O2 sensor.
With the cold air intake, is there an air flow sensor (if it even has one) that could have been disturbed? Probably doesn't have an effect on idle... I dono....

I 'think' you can get an Ohio 30day, with just a vin and Ohio drivers license.
BP should chime in here.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I think that the next owner should get the temp tag in North Carolina. IIRC thats what I did with the 91 Camaro I bought there (been too long - maybe I went ficticious).

Is the DMV open on Sat?
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

I've got an interesting possibility on getting the car back to Ohio. Friends of mine are going down to Florida on Saturday for a week. They would be heading back on the 6th I believe. It was roadworthy, that would be ideal as there would just be gas on the way home and a car to follow if something goes wrong. I can get send down a check for the car and for some parts n labor as needed.

wxo: I'll give you a call later this morning. I got your number from Fred32V. I need to find out stuff on VIN, who checks get made out to, etc. I'll check with BP about temp tag as I could get that today and send with friends.
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

Well, looks like Walt and I have things figured out and are making arrangements. He's going to lend a hand making sure she is roadworthy and may even consider doing delivery. Neither of us are in a big hurry, so we'll take our time and get things done right starting with a new battery. That, some fresh gas, and maybe some injector cleaner plus some good old RPM's may be all it takes for the black smoke to go away. It's been sitting a while. There is a decent laundry list of TO-DO's, but it's a solid car and plenty of room for improvement.

P.S. Now I'll finally be able to be a true tiresmoker. Too much traction with the AWD SS and the BMW turbo didn't kick in until 3000RPM.
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

And I can't say thanks enough to Walt for all the help to date and in advance plus the encouragement and advice from the board. Should be a lot of fun!
wxo

Post by wxo »

Rookie and I talked and agreed to my holding onto the car for awhile and tinkering with it until it runs a little better. At that time, I suggested that I might drive it to Ohio myself for the shipping fee. Of course Randi would accompany me.
Checks and signed titles should be flowing shortly.
Minor technical update:
With a full battery charge, the engine lights instantly. Also, the engine check light is functional when the key is turned on. Yet not while the thing is blubbering with raw fuel.
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

This is cool. Congrats.

Rookie, Pontiacs drive and handle REALLY nice. You'll like it a lot. PLUS it sounds really good too.
Matt Sutter