1979 Trans Am

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

markss327

Predictions

Post by markss327 »

I'm in for a 'dog and beverage.
I'll predict 13.6 @ 108mph 8)
60 footers will be an issue, as launching technique will have to be learned. I foresee lots of tiresmoke!!!!! :twisted:

As far as weight, 3500lbs seems heavy. But I'm no F body guru.

FYI, the Nova is 3100lbs and change, w/o driver.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The stock 301 with all the accessories wieghs in about 3600 lbs from what I've been able to find on it. I think the car should wiegh less than that when done. I've got an aluminum intake, headers, no power steering or any air conditioning equipment, which would more than compensate for the extra 60-70lbs extra the 455 might weigh. Keep in mind the 301 is identical in size to the 455 Pontiac, so the wieght difference might be less than that. I've also already removed the front sway bar and plan to remove the rear.
So assuming it's 3600 lbs, and this motor went 13.9 at 100mph through exhaust manifolds and 2.5" exhaust, I expect if I leave the 2.73 gear in it that it will still do the 13.6 at 104 and if I get the 3.23 gear, it should be about .2-.3 faster than that through the exhaust.
Also, I'll be running the lightweight rims that I had on the truck last year, so those will be significantly lighter than the stock steel rally rims on it.

I don't think launching will be a problem with the drag shocks, traction bars, battery in the trunk, lack of sway bar in the front, and the big meats in the back.

I'm going with a first time out at 13.52 @ 105...for the hot dog.

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

13.7 @ 104
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Since we are all admins here just add your SWAGs to this reply.

ttamrettus 13.65 @ 104 mph
tiresmoker 13.70 @ 104 mph
basement paul 13.52 @ 105 mph
markss327 13.60 @ 108 mph
Matt Sutter
wxo

Post by wxo »

Since you are prepping for the maiden voyage down the 1320, you might want to give the brakes, both front and back, a good hard look. Frozen, non-retracting calipers can have a detrimental effect on time slips. Especially since this car has not been in use for a while.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Even though the brake pads weren't that bad, I went ahead and put brand new Duralast Gold pads from Autozone on the front. The rotors are in good shape so I just scuffed them up, and cleaned up all the sliding hardware so they'll function as designed.

The front shocks have been replaced too with some adjustable drag shocks, although I'm not convinced yet that I have them set right. I adjusted them to the loosest setting. Either way, the RF shock that was on the car was blown out completely, so it needed to be done.

Next weekend should bring some rearend work. I was thinking the 3.23 rearend I was looking to get is not good enough, but found in my other brother's attic, a 3.42 gear and complete posi unit which will be a much better match, and should really bring this car to life.

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

attic? don't you mean the basement?
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Yesterday we unbolted the springs and shackles from the car. Unbolted. That was pretty cool. So far everything has come unbolted with no cutting, the car might be cleaner underneath than it appears on top. We also got the subframe connectors ready to be mounted.

Today turned out a little disappointing as I ordered a rearend install kit, and after several hours of screwing around, Camaro Bob and I figured out that the carrier bearings they sent in the kit were the wrong ones. The rearend will most likely not be ready to install by next weekend. Having to work on Saturday will slow things down too.

I'm going to try to get the right bearings from Summit (for free) but I expect to not have any luck with that. Otherwise I'll have to order some from the parts store.

ImageImageImage

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

With some screwing around, the new urethane bushings are installed, the traction bars are on, the drag shocks are installed and set to "welded solid". The rearend gears are now 3.42 and a new batch of mobile 1 rearend fluid with posi lube is in there too. With this all done, we were able to finally bolt the big meats on the rear too.

A quick drive around the development (to the dismay of the neighbors) showed me the rearend wasn't going to fall out, the new gear has helped the car a ton, and the posi works fine.

The stance on this car is sweet now. It sits real flat without that jacked up look. The front sits tall and the rear is not all jacked up any more.

Maybe 32v can pull it outside and snap a shot or two...

-BP
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

I can't wait to see it. Maybe a new video would be cool too.
Matt Sutter
Fred32v

Beauty down under

Post by Fred32v »

Don't judge a book by its' cover. In this case the beauty is down under.

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

Results of another Sunday "Party in the Garage"!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

cool. So what color is it gonna get painted? Andy's TA is blue. Dave's Chevelle is blue. Mark's SS is blue. It would really look great one color.
Matt Sutter
markss327

Post by markss327 »

The plate needs to say 12's 8)
Nice wheels. I'd go with a bigger air filter.

So, who makes the maiden run, father or son? :shock:
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

32v already put the taller K&N (yeah k&n!) on it after the pictures. I'm sure I'll be shaking it down.

This weekend it will get the exhaust components put on. Needless to say I'm pretty excited about it. Being able to drive it sounds like a cool idea...

As far as paint goes, the nose will be gray, and the trunk will be gray, otherwise, it's going to look just like it does for the rest of this year. If I ever do paint it, I think it will be white, like it was originally. I like white, and it will help hide all the imperfections (and there'll be plenty).

The body will most likely see some repair next winter in my new garage (my newest project). I have been talking to a couple builders, already have my zoning permits, and will hopefully have my garage up by July or so. It will be wierd being able to keep all my cars inside and all together.

-BP
wxo

$50 paint job

Post by wxo »

Here's some food for thought:

(I believe tremclad is Rustoleum here in the US.)

here's how i painted my car for about $50, it's actually very easy and the results are amazing. First off, get a can of tremclad real orange (or what ever color u want) in the can, not spray, yes tremclad, it is a acrylic/enamel paint which is very durable. next prep your car as if was any other paint job, fix all the rust, ect....no need to prime the car since the tremclad allready contains elements which allow it to be painted over bare metal. next, after prepping the car get a small 4" professional FOAM rollers, it's tiny and has one end rounded off, and the other cut straight, and is a very high density foam. u also need a jug of mineral spirits to thin the paint. The thing i really like about this is that there's no mess, no tapeing the whole car, just key areas, and u can do it in your garage, since your not spraying there is virtually no dust in the air, just clean your garage first, also it does'nt really smell at all, dries overnight and it super tough paint. also it you decide to paint the car professionally later, just prep and paint, there's no need to strip the tremclad. i have done this to a few cars, and i can say it works amazing, u just have to be paitient. next u thin the paint with mineral spirits so it just about as thin as water, a little thicker. get out the roller and paint away, don't get the paint shaked when u buy it, enamel is stirred, otherwise you'll have bubbles in the paint for a week!!! after u do 2 coats, wet sand the whole car, then repeat, 2 coats, wetsand, 2 coats wetsand. i painted the charger using a can since your not spraying the car u use all the paint and not spray 50% in the air, use progressivly finer sand paper each time. it's not really that much work, cause u can stop and start any time, u can do just a door, or the hood, ect. do one panel at a time, and don't stop once you start. once your done the final coat, wetsand with about 1000 grit to a totally smooth finish, and then using a high speed polisher i use a buffing bonnet and turtle wax polishing compound. do the whole car with this, and i'm telling u, depending on the amount of time and paitence you have, the results are amazing. laugh if you want, but for $50 ($30 for paint, about $20 for rollers, sand paper, ect...) it really looks good. also you can do these steps overnight, paint one evening and by morning u can wet sand. i have personally done alot of painting, mostly single stage acrylic enamel, and i've sprayed several cars in my garage with really good professional results, just it stinks, it's a real pain to do, easy to make a mistake, messy, and expensive. The tremclad is awesome paint, the "real orange" is an amazing hemi orange, and almost looks like it has some perl in the sun, awesome color right out of the can. I used this technique on my 1974 beetle also, here are the results:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/6 ... ture10.jpg
the car before:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/6 ... 000475.jpg
another after pic:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/6 ... C00164.jpg
here is a car i sprayed (71 beetle, midnight blue metalic):
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/6 ... C00194.jpg
here is the car before (71 beetle):
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/6 ... cture1.jpg

here's a few pics of the charger done:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/6 ... C02764.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/6 ... C02769.jpg

well that's my 2 cents worth, sorry for the long post. i was borred lol
i painted the orange beetle in 1999, and it still looks like the day i painted it, the 71 blue beetle i painted in 2000, and built the car for my dad, i used the same paint on my charger, maybe one day i'll spring for a good paint job, prepping is 90% of the work, stripping the car, sanding, ect.....painting is overrated!!!
So if you have TIME, then i'd say go for it, the worst that could happen is that it does'nt turn out and your out $50, but if your paitient, and expriement with lets say just the trunk pannel and if you like it do the whole car, if not just get it done by someone else for $4000. i don't know about you guys, but i would rather spend the $4000 on other parts like getting the mechanics sorted out and new chrome, cause when u have really nice paint and crappy bumpers, door handles it just sticks out more.