New rule or new to me?

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TheRookie

New rule or new to me?

Post by TheRookie »

According to the Thompson site, I need to have a helmet if I plan on going 13.99 or quicker, eh? Looks like I need to invest. I didn't have one last year, but perhaps they don't enforce it much. Thoughts? BTW, its been a while since I bought one. Where can I get one at a decent price? Bike shop?
Fred32v

I got mine.

Post by Fred32v »

After time trials, I was asked if I had my helmut. As luck would have it, I did. It's very old, hope no one notices.
I think this is a new rule again this year. There was a time when you needed a helmut no matter what you turned.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I think this has been the rule for a number of years. I too remember when you always had to have a helmet, but when they did relax the rule, it was to 13.99 or quicker.

-Dave
markss327

DOT Approved?

Post by markss327 »

The 13.99/brain bucket rule has been in existence as long as I can remember. Not so enforced during time runs, but in eliminations, the start guy, will check your dial, and look for the helmet.

Some other rules that come to mind-
- If running slicks, you'll need a drive shaft loop - front, I believe within 4in of the U-joint
- All carbureted cars are to have two (2) throttle return springs.
- The obvious seat belts
- 11.99 you'll need a flame retardant jacket
- 150mph will require a p'chute.
- 10.99 requires a 6 point cage - or just a hoop.... not sure.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

They don't seem to enforce the driveshaft hoop if running slicks. I don't have a hoop and I've never been questioned about it.

-Dave
markss327

Inspection, what inspection ????

Post by markss327 »

How many times has a 'tech' actually looked under the hood of your car? Mine (the '63), twice. Both times, at 42! I think, if we ran points, i.e., Saturdays, we'd see a more complete 'inspection'.

I understand some older helmets are now out of spec -just by date of manufacture - old.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

There have been various crackdowns on the rules. One year I happened to be there the weekof inspection and they crabbed about my battery box. So I went through a lot of hassle to change the mount configuration, and also add the driveshaft loop. Never again did they check!

I remember when TDR started with the helmet rule, and I always thought they required it. My guess is spotty reinforcement is why you have not been called out on it. Have you seen the guy sho is the starter - last time I was there he did not look like the sharpest knife in the drawer. Did you run truck class? Maybe he isn't thinking trucks go that fast so he quits paying attention.

I think 42 requires the helmet once you go a certain ET, but since the TDR rule I have been in the habit so I always take one.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I'd recommend a Snell 05 rated helmet, this way, if you ever autocross, you'll be legal. The dragstrip just looks for a DOT rating, at least as fast as we'll ever go.

Some bike shops sell cheaper versions, and for car use, those are just fine, as long as the correct rating is on the back.

-BP