2003 S-10

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Maverick

Re: 2003 S-10

Post by Maverick »

That is some NICE truck!! Hopin' to see some tiresmoke soon.
Maverick
wxo

Post by wxo »

Looks factory! Great job!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Tonight I think I figured out which idle air controller I need as well as which O2 sensors I'll need. Since I'm not running cat converters, I think I'll only need the upstream O2 sensors. The rear plugs will sit empty (I'll tape them). I found that Summit was WAY cheaper than Autozone or other "discount" parts stores for the exact same thing. Who would have thunk? I saved about $12 ea on the O2 sensors and about $30 on the IAC. Again, these were the same exact part numbers. Plus free shipping and I can use my PayPal money from selling all those other car parts. Win / Win. So they'll probably be on my front porch when I get home from work tomorrow (just ordered them at 9:15).

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Last weekend was just more small stuff. Vacuum lines, idle air control install, a trip the hardware store, and a trip to AutoZone. Then we laid out the wiring harness and I realized that the truck's original computer wouldn't plug into the wiring harness that was sent to me.... I was under the impression it would just plug in and then Hutter could reprogram it. I was wrong. I called the place that did the harness and I need a computer from an '01-'02 Camaro / Firebird / Silverado type vehicle with a V8 and I'd be OK. So I found a guy on ebay in Ohio that is actually trading me one of these computers for the Vette one that came with the motor. He might be interested in the wireless throttle and controller but we'll deal with that later. I probably won't have it until early next week, but at least I know I can continue to work on the wiring this weekend.

-BP
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Saturday morning started like many of them do, having breakfast with BP and then off to his place so I can HELP with his project. This has been going on, since last August, all through the winter months, and now He is getting really close.

The goals Saturday were modest, put the hood on, modify the power steering reservoir bracket to make room for the new air intake, and button up the drive shaft stuff under the truck. Can you believe that it takes over an hour to put a hood on? Well, in preparing for the install of the hood, I drop the shouldered bolt into the fender. :( After 45 minutes, the search was abandoned and we went to a nearby junk to get the needed bolt. Also we took the opportunity to get some fender clips. Well we rushed back and soon the hood was on. While we were reinstalling the fender clips, pulling the inner fender back, that lost bolt dropped to the floor. Oh well.

Then we tackled the modification to the power steering reservoir bracket by cutting about 5/8th of an inch out of the bracket. I was careful to remember how to weld it back together. When the welding was done and we tried a test fit, one of the bracket holes was in the wrong place. :( Nuts, but re cutting and re welding did provide the extra space for the intake fabrication to come.

It was well into the afternoon when I left. Never did get under the truck. Struggle that it was, in the final analysis, there was some progress and once again BP’s truck is a little bite closer to being done. :)
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Yesterday I spend a good part of the day putting the air intake together. I bought a 4" kit by AEM from Summit awhile back and it just needed a little modification... Here's how many cuts I made:

It turned out pretty well I think. Unfortunately, there was a ding in the elbow before I started but didn't notice until I already did some modifying so I went forward with the project. You can't see it from the front of the truck, but you'll see it in the picture from the side. I may either paint it or get some heat wrap. Or I might do nothing...

I am schedule to get the exhaust done on June 11 so this week I'll call Hutter's and book in a time after that to have them finish this up. I still have some things to button up, and will keep doing stuff to it until I take it there. Whatever is left at that point I'll have them finish and it will finally be done.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I'm booked in for the last week of July with Hutter's to hopefully complete this job. That will give me time to try and button up a bunch of small stuff and save myself a few extra bucks.

-BP
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

That looks bad ass.
Matt Sutter
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

This weekend got me a lot closer to the finish. I had what I thought were three wires that would not connect to their respective sensors from my new wiring harness. After an email to the wiring harness guys, I found that the cam position sensor and oil pressure sensors are both hidden slightly underneath the rear of the intake manifold and I will be able to plug them in with no problem (OK, it will be tough to get them in, but the wires will reach so I can figure it out from there). The other problem is the wire to the MAP sensor is WAY too short. The problem here is that the factory intake manifold has the MAP sensor in the back of the manifold, but my new and better intake has it all the way up by the throttle body. The solution will be a plug extension which the harness guy said they could make, no problem. I'll try to get it for free because they never asked me if I was going to run an aftermarket intake, but at the end of the day it will be cheap and I won't make a big stink if they charge me.

This weekend will be the exhaust, then I only have the fuel system and a couple small things and it will be ready for Hutter's. I anticipate having them tackle the fuel system and a tune and it should be good to go. So by August, barring any disasters, I should be running and driving.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

OK, next weekend will be the exhaust. The exhaust guy is tearing up a leak in his parents basement...

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Since I didn't have to take the truck, I decided to put this on:

I had it sitting in the bed so it was convenient. It looks pretty cool and I hope it will help keep the rear end together.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Last weekend I did end up getting the exhaust done and it turned out as expected. He got 2.5" stainless from the headers into the muffler which has an Xpipe built in. Then it's 3" duals out the back which were already there. He also used my old tranny lines and cut them off and flared them under the A/C unit up front, then he bent up a couple connecting tubes to the same area. Now I just need to connect them. Unfortunately, one of the fittings that came with my radiator is messed up and the new fitting wont bottom out and seal, so I have to get that squared away still.
Yesterday we got a list of stuff we needed together and went to AutoZone. Then we got the steam port hooked into the radiator and got a couple more vacuum lines hooked up. I also made a bracket that I attached to the cross member to keep the shifter cable away from the exhaust. Then I wrapped almost the whole driver's side pipe in header wrap to help protect not just the shifter cable, but also the transmission electronics, the fuel lines, and to keep heat off the front u-joint.

I'm having picture troubles, so I'll post more this week.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I took it to Hutter's tonight. More to come!

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Dusty from Hutter's called me today and was finishing up most of the minor modifications that were left. He thought that maybe the truck would be started today at some point and then waiting on Trevor and the dyno to complete the tune. I hope he's right!

I also told him to call me when he thought they'd be running it on the dyno as I'd like to watch if possible. I would love to see this thing running and driving in the next few days. Hopefully all my work was correct. I'm excited and nervous at the same time.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I saw my truck at Hutter's yesterday. The fuel system is done, there's a new air temp sensor in the intake tube, and there's only a couple things left to do with the breather setup he's going to install. The truck will turn over and pop, but will shut off immediately because my old computer is coded to my ignition key that has a chip in it. Basically they told me it's ready to tune. He can fix the security problem in the computer and it should be good to go.

There is a small problem with the starter hanging up on the flexplate that I'll have to deal with once I get it back. Hopefully this week...

-BP