smoking tires or racing? drag racers get another black eye.

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

ttamrettus

smoking tires or racing? drag racers get another black eye.

Post by ttamrettus »

This is sad. All the news reports say he was racing but others say he was just smoking the tires. Based on the video it looks to me like an almost all out burnout pass. When I read it, I pictured line lock and tiresmoke. NOT what he did. What was he thinking. I agree that was totally unsafe.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=X7QY3gOkllM

I pray for those killed and their families.
Matt Sutter
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I dont know if it made the news down there in Georgia, but this is second drag-racing-related accident in just a few weeks. There was another incident at the Carroll County, Ohio, Fairgrounds (airport, maybe?) the first weekend of June. They were having a rib-burn-off and some drag racing when a guy lost control of a '69 Camaro and went into the crowd.

http://www.timesreporter.com/index.php?ID=68686

I've seen videos of both accidents and the thing that both these events had in common is that there was *no* guardrail or retaining wall. The Ohio accident seemed much more 'accidental', in that the car wasn't a full-on race car. Looked like someone's 11 or 10 second street car. The accident in TN, if you've seen the video, looks like a Pro-Mod car. Letting spectators just line the road and doing a rolling burnout like that was just stupid.

I think it gives drag-racing a black eye for sure. It would be hard for accidents like these to happen at TRP or 42, though.

-Dave
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

This was sad.

But who was thinking this was a good idea? I read this has been happening every year at the TN event for years now.

I can already see the laws changing - banning these types of activities on public property. It's hard to legislate good judgment.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

I agree a rolling burn out in a pro mod car is not good judgement (with no barriers or safety crews).
Matt Sutter