Mechanical EFI fuel pump

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

wxo

Mechanical EFI fuel pump

Post by wxo »

I was reading an article about this fuel pump (www.racepumps.com) in HRM. It seems like it would have saved Tiresmoker a lot of fuel supply grief in his EFI project.
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I've seen that pump and there was debate on several of the forums about how well it would work, especially on a cold-start when there is no fuel-pressure in the rail and how much cranking it would take to get both the required volume and pressure.

Those issues aside, they are really proud of their pumps -- I think it's like $300-400.

I'm beginning to wonder when the Chevelle will ever see the road again. I just dread the idea of building a new engine and wrestling with fuel supply issue *again*.

-Dave
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

tiresmoker.

Could you put the engine out of the truck in the chevelle to work out the EFI issues? Then once it works you could "build" the engine you want.
Matt Sutter
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I was originally thinking about doing that, but it's almost the same amount of effort at this point, with an additional engine swap at the end and 50 less cubic inches. The truck motor is a bare block and would need to be assembled. I guess I need to do something soon, although I've resigned myself to the fact that I probably won't drive it this year.

-Dave
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

TireSmoker wrote:I'm beginning to wonder when the Chevelle will ever see the road again. I just dread the idea of building a new engine and wrestling with fuel supply issue *again*.
You may be painting yourself in a corner. If there is so much dread about fuel injection, just go back to a carb. I know you have a lot of time invested in the fuel injection, but should you not drive the Chevelle at all because you refuse to go back to a carb?

The fuel injection is starting to sound like work, not fun. After you rip off a few 12 second passes with the carb, then you can regroup and work on the fuel injection.

Driving the car will cure a lot of the blues!
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
markss327

Drive it.

Post by markss327 »

I'll second MostMints's thoughts.
Dig out the Performer RPM, and dust off the ol' Holley.
Drive it.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!