Tim knapp's 460 swap into Walt's '69 F250

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Your linkage looks really hot. Now your getting really close. I'm waiting for the video to hear it run. Keep going. Carlisle is not that far off.
wxo

Post by wxo »

Today (Friday 2/17) I worked to plug up holes in the engine. The first was the oil pressure line for the new gauges I bought. Ebay supplied both oil pressure and volt gauges. They are Stewart Warners that I thought would somewhat match the period of this truck.
I spent the rest of the afternoon identifying which holes in the intake manifold I would use and finding the appropriate plugs and vacuum ports I would need.
Other than that, I investigated the choke mechanism for the 6210. Holley support says I'm out of luck when it comes to an electric or manual choke kit. This carb is designed for the thermostatic spring in the intake and my Performer RPM doesn't have provisions for that. I guess I'll have to rig up something with the manual choke cable. I'm open to suggestions if any of you have any ideas.
Last edited by wxo on Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

The SW gauges are a great addition! I used a universal Choke pull kit from JCWhitney on my Holley 6210. The kit had a lot of stuff that didn't apply, but it had a little "S" shaped bracket that allowed the pull to act like the thermostatic spring when pulled. The high speed idle cam was an issue. I had to step on the gas before pulling the choke. It's hard to remember, but I think I ground off the detents on that cam. With the addition of the 50cc pumps front and back, I hardly ever used the choke pull except in really cold weather. I'm sure you'll come up with something that looks as good as your throttle linkage. post the pictures.
wxo

Post by wxo »

Another of the mini projects is now behind me. I finished construction of the fuel line between the fuel pump and carb. I've been at it for a couple of days, now. I bought two 3/8" pieces of gas line. The first turned out to be sacrificed for practice bending. The second was bent into the final product. Since the carb is set up for 3/8 line and the fuel pump uses a 5/16 fitting, I had to be creative. It turns out that the 5/16 line fits nicely inside the 3/8 line, so I silver soldered the two together. I'm quite pleased with the result. The picture was taken before the line was soldered.
Last edited by wxo on Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Very clever, you fellows from down south. Nicely done. It's amazing that Tim was able to feed that 12 second Mustang through a 5/16" fuel line.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

As far as the choke goes, you live in the south, pump that thing a few times and drive away... :D

-BP
wxo

Post by wxo »

Yeah, I'm going to put the choke on the back burner for now. Fred reminded me today that it was premature to install the distributor because I would need to remove it to oil the engine prior to startup.
So, I took apart the old 460 distributor I bought at Carlisle for $8 and made an oiler. I took some doing to get it apart, but it will make a dandy oiler.

Last edited by wxo on Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Love those YELLOW accessaries. Even the drill matches. Does the oil pressure show on that SW gauge?
wxo

Post by wxo »

Lest you think I've been resting on my laurels, I have progress to report.
I started bolting up accessory brackets for the power steering and A/C compressor. I had to refer to many of the pictures I took over the last few years. I think I've got the biggest part sorted out. We'll see when I try to drive all that stuff with the belts.
I also got the exhaust manifolds bolted up. I know this sounds like a nit, but finding the right bolts was a time consuming chore. I ended up buying some from ACE hardware and had to grind off some 'cuz they were too long.
I also took the '76 valve covers I got from ebay, ground off all the extraneous brackets and sand blasted them and painted them with wrinkle finish black. That was also a lot of work. I'm not very excited about how it came out. It doesn't matter because it is what it is and that's how it will stay. At least for now. Whaddya think?

Now I need to figure out the power steering hoses, hook up the temporary exhaust, electrical stuff, seal the gas tank, and work inside the cab to get it habitable. I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of it now.
I have last year's carlisle pictures rolling by on the slideshow on my PC to keep me going and looking forward to April. Yaaahhhhooooo!
Last edited by wxo on Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Walt, it looks good. I like the throttle linkage and the chrome water neck.
Matt Sutter
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Dem Valve Covers looks real nasty, like one of dose NASCAR engin's. I think any Michael Walthrop store (NAPA) can make up special length high pressure lines for you power steering pump needs. Just show them your end fittings and give them the lengths you want.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

The first thing I think is - that we can't wait to see it running so the only thing I care about valve covers is that they are on the engine!

Cosmetically, the valve covers look good, but in my opinion the blue engine and black valve covers don't match up well. If the engine was black I would say perfect fit, or if the valve covers were blue. However this is personal choice, and I would not recommend doing any more to them until after the truck is running.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
wxo

Post by wxo »

This engine is like my fine wine. I will not attempt to start it until I'm satisfied with both it's appearance and that everything is done to my satisfaction. There is a perfectly good reason for this approach. It's a personality flaw I have. I never get back to the final touches if I get it started and running and moving on it's own power. So....
Nope! I won't get it running until I'm ready. Period! No shortcuts!
And I agree with you on the colors. Too bad. It is what it is and I'm not changing it.
Oops. This attitude seems to contradict my previous position. Well, too bad. It's my position and I can modify it if I want. Besides, I think the engine as a whole will look very cool when I'm done with it. 8)
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I am not a big Ford fan, but you will have to try a little harder to make a 460 in that truck not cool.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
wxo

Post by wxo »

Hey, don't short me on the cubes, son! It's now a 466!!!! :wink:

Just for those kind words, I will treat you to another picture:

Last edited by wxo on Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.