'63 Corvette shakedown

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

'63 Corvette shakedown

Post by TireSmoker »

On Saturday the 19th, my Dad and I drove the Corvette out to Linesville, PA, to (Yogi) Bair's Corvette parts. It was a near-perfect day for such a trip (could've been a few degrees warmer) and we drove all the way there and home with the top down, as it should be.

We drove out 322 East, all the way to OhioSR-7, which we used to jog north over to US-6 East, which took us right into Linesville. The show was scheduled from 11a-6p, and we probably got there somewhere around noon. We were given a ticket for a free hotdog & can of pop for arriving in a Corvette! Gotta love free lunch.

There were plenty of cars on hand, and several other 63's to compare ours against. Dad and I decided that our car looks pretty good compared to the others, but that our hubcaps need some attention/cleanup. The engine compartment also needs a foamy-engine-brite treatment, but other than that everything look good. Since my mother has been complaining about the Hurst shifter in our car, it was interesting to note that *every* '63 there was Hurst-equipped.

We didn't have any mechanical issues, although the gas gauge still doesn't work right, and the odometer doesn't work at all. We took the GPS with us to keep track of miles driven. We used 8.8 gallons for 133 miles of driving, working out to 15 MPG, most of which was at 45-60 MPH.

By the time we got home, sometime after 3pm, it had cooled off into the high 50s. The car was tucked back into the garage and covered up. We then headed to Valley Villa to finish off the afternoon with some ice cream.

MostMint

Re: '63 Corvette shakedown

Post by MostMint »

Cool. Had to be a lot of fun taking the Vette out. Maybe a few more items to fix before Carlisle, but confirming mechanical systems in order has to feel pretty good.

I have to say that 10 years ago I would have bet that the 63 would not go under its own power until it got sold. I remember seeing it up on blocks with the frame out and I just figured it was going nowhere. I'm glad I was wrong about it.
TireSmoker wrote:Since my mother has been complaining about the Hurst shifter in our car
Maybe she is a closet NCRS judge.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

And for many years, I kinda thought the same thing you did. Just for background, the body was pulled off the frame when I was 16. For reference, I'm 34 now.

It sure does feel good to be able to drive it, especially with my father. This was his 'cool' car -- he was 26 when it was purchased and it was a 3 year old 'Vette! How many of us wish we could've done the same at that age?

-Dave
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Nice trip.
Your mom can drive a stick? Nice.
Colleen and I almost broke up (while we were dating) over her NOT being able to handle three pedals. To this day, she won't do it. Her loss!!!!

When I was 26, I bought a '84 Monte Carlo SS - dealer new (Jackshaw Chevrolet). All I remember, the faster you went, the better it handled. Remember the F41 suspension package? Then, I bought a house, got cheep, and traded it in for a '85 VW Jetta. Duh.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Dave, That is awesome to go to the meet with your Dad, in the vette. Fun times. Is he coming to Carlisle?

MarkSS327, I feel your pain, got married and got cheap. My wife (when we were dating) hated the Trans Am (Walt's then Basement Paul's) so I traded it on a Jeep Grand Cherokee (V8 though). Ahhh, wish I had the TA back. Then we got engaged and I sold the Z28 for a down payment on the house.

At least Paul seems to have made out. Let's see what happens when he has kids. No room far a car seat in the S-10 or the Fiero.
Matt Sutter
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The dog likes riding in the truck, my wife likes riding in the truck, I imagine if there was a kid, it would like riding in the truck. But the truck isn't going anywhere. There's room for lots of people in the Caddy. And the Fiero will be gone sooner than later (hopefully).

-BP
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Yes, I have no doubt he would "like" riding in the truck. BUT neither Amy nor the dog require a car seat. Then there's the baby bag, the stroller, etc. etc...... As for the caddy, it's 2 door. The baby seat will fit in the back but a 4 door is much easier to get in and out of.

Paul, so when is my son gonna have a buddy to bench race with?
Matt Sutter
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

ttamrettus wrote:Dave, That is awesome to go to the meet with your Dad, in the vette. Fun times. Is he coming to Carlisle?
Yeah, it was pretty cool. Dad has never had much interest in my Chevelle and my drag racing stuff (although he was there when I won my first trophy in high school). I dont know if he's coming to Carlisle or not. I think I've mentioned it to him, but I'm not sure he'd be up for an entire weekend of that kind of stuff.

-Dave