Trailblazer SS

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

ttamrettus

Trailblazer SS

Post by ttamrettus »

What do you guys think of this color?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... Track=true

Item number: 200109767093 (if link is broken).

They want to sell it bad. It' been listed like 3 times.
Matt Sutter
markss327

Post by markss327 »

My Avalanche is blue w/slate interior. It's a nice combo. My car trailer is also blue. It's a great
color!
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Looks good on the truck.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
wxo

Dark colors mean more work.

Post by wxo »

This appears to be the dark electric blue color. If so, don't get it unless you like to wash this big vehicle a lot. The dark colors show dirt quickly. I've had several black cars. They look great when clean and shiny, but it doesn't take long before they show the dirt and need washed. I'm getting where I don't take the pleasure in washing cars like I did when I was younger. In fact, now I look for excuses not to do it. I love the yellow on my vette. It always looks good, dirty or not. Also remember, the bigger the vehicle, the longer it takes and the tougher it is to wash.
Just my 2cents.
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Walt, so you wouldn't recommend black either? : )
Matt Sutter
markss327

Post by markss327 »

Any dark color is a pain to keep clean. Currently, my AV has a yellow hew from all the pollen in the air.
It looks to be Imperial Blue Metallic, and have the 3SS package. That lists at $35,620. I have no idea what they (the dealerships) are discounting this to, if any.

BP should chime in.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
wxo

Hey! I'm old.

Post by wxo »

Yep! No dark colored vehicle will darken (pun intended) my garage threshold unless I get it almost free. It's just a matter of time and energy conservation. In my mind, the difference in appearance between light and dark colors is not enough to invest my time and effort into keeping a dark color looking great. In fact Randi's black Avalon is looking horrible with dirt and bird doodoo right now and I have to clean it up. It's been like this for weeks now and I can't make myself do it. I've got too many other interesting things to do so on the back burner it goes. Sorry Randi.
Fred32v

Color Smolor

Post by Fred32v »

You guys are all missing the point. With this SS the color simply doesn't matter as long as you can run 13's. Everytime your washing it you'll be thinkin' about them 13 second passes and those rice tuners that you smoked. Go for it Matt.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
wxo

Thirteens schmirteens!

Post by wxo »

I'm not missing the point. Any color will run 13's, so you should pick one that gives you more time to wrench and less time to wash. Unless of course you like to wash.
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Do you think a wash once a month will cover it?
Actually I am allowed to write off $25 a month for cleaning, could be 2 washs, maybe.
But I'd HATE to take it to a machine, would have to be hand wash.

-------------- BUT -------------------------

I do have 1 bigger problem. I'm CHEAP, super cheap actually. It's not the payment, it's not the insurance, it's the GAS.
This will require a little math but here goes. (maybe I think too much, too).

Assume TB SS gets 17 mpg
Assume Impala gets 28 mpg (I measured it today)
Assume gas avearges $3.00 a gallon
Assume I drive 20,000 miles a year (a little more actually).
Assume my company pays gas at $0.15 a mile.

With the Impala I make roughly $1.20 a gallon (roughly 715 gallons a year)
With the TB SS I would lose $0.45 a gallon (roughly 1176 gallons a year)
(if you look at the mpg and total miles per year, etc.)

So that is a $1380 a year swing in fuel cost alone. (making $850 to losing $530)
($110 a month out of my pocket, on top of the payment and the insurance)
So I have a hard time justifying it to myself even though I want one SO BAD, it hurts.

Not to mention how would I offset those carbon footprints (or should I carbon tread marks) to make Al Gore happy? I'd hate for him to come after me for not being GREEN.
As kermit the frog says, “It's not easy being green.”

DECISIONS............ DECISIONS............ DECISIONS.........
Matt Sutter
Fred32v

What price daily entertainment?

Post by Fred32v »

Ask yourself, do you look forward to driving your Impala every time you get in it. I just bet that you would be excited just walking up to that SS even before you fire it up. It would provide you enjoyment every day, every time you get in it. It could be a serious upper! I don't think that small delta in dollars would effect your overall budget or even be noticed on a daily basis. Sounds like your talking yourself out of this SS. Life is not always about the money. I remember slightly squeezing our budget to buy a 1968 Camaro SS396. The fun, enjoyment, and memories that vehicle provided over the next five years was well worth it. I vote for the SS!
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

It'll still run 13's when it is dirty. :)

But

How many hours of time does it take to drive 20000 miles?
20,000 miles/60 miles per hour = 333 hours (means you'll have to spend a lot of time above 60 to offset your city driving)
$1380/333 = $4.14 per hour
Do you get $4.14 per hour of extra entertainment driving the SS truck?

It seems to me there is a compromise possible here. Can't you find something with better performance that gets more reasonable gas mileage?

Wasn't tiresmoker making 26 highway with the 99 GTP? Runs like 14 flat in the 1/4 (which is precariously close to said 68 SS 1/4 mile times). Fast an fun is important, but I think you can do it better than with this truck. Maybe they don't make something like that now?

Trucks are for hauling stuff right? Are you hauling stuff all the time? If not then why have the excess inefficiency of a truck or SUV?
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
markss327

Post by markss327 »

How about an Impala SS. The best of both worlds. I drove one, courtesy of BP. My conclusion - it was a gentlemans muscle car. Torque management is ever so present, but it's tolerable.

I urge you to test drive one! 8) They look awesome in white :)
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
wxo

Piling on...

Post by wxo »

I think Andy has the right idea here. Why carry around all that mass and burn the extra gas if you don't really need to. You can have just as much fun going fast with something a lot lighter and more efficient.
Again...just my 2 cents.
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

Stop picking on the TBSS. Some of us are very proud of theirs :) Kind of nice to be able to haul ass and haul a trailer!