1995 Camaro

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

MostMint

1995 Camaro

Post by MostMint »

Well my daily driver just became a small project. About a month ago the 2nd gear synchro went out. Tried to order a new synchro and fix it but found out the synchro is part of one of the shafts. Once I knew the tranny was junk I decided to nurse it until fall.

Until today that is. On my ride home today it started getting real hard to get it in and out of gear - any gear. At least it made it home.

So I have a problem with the clutch, throwout bearing or something in there. The tranny has to come out so I might as well replace the tranny while it is out.
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Isn't Canfield this weekend?
Matt Sutter
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Yes it is. I am having a little sticker shock on the junkyard trannys and have not found anyone to go to Canfield yet.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Well I replaced the throwout bearing as the old one looked real worn out. Put it all back together and it was a little better but the clutch still does not disengage all the way.

The hydraulic clutch reservoir was almost full so I can't believe it is leaking. Either my clutch fork is bent, the "master cylinder" for the clutch is bad or the pressure plate is messed up. Not sure which it could be at the moment.

So the project continues...
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

The car is back on the road. A small piece of metal had broken off the clutch disc on the outside edge of one of the springs, and was apparently dragging on the pressure plate. Too bad I did not look close enuogh the first time.

So I replaced the clutch and pressure plate and the problem is fixed. I still need a tranny though since the 2nd gear synchro is still bad. The pedal is super easy to push now so I suspect my remanufactured pressure plate does not have quite as much pressure as stock. There does not appear to be any slipping when the clutch is released.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

It's supposed to be easier to push. All that old stuff was wore out. If I'd bet, that's how it actually felt when it was new. I've encountered the same thing when putting a clutch kit in my Mustang... It's only when you put high perf stuff that the clutch sometimes gets heavier. And some of these weighted clutches are easier to push than stock, and get twice the clamping of stock.

-BP
MostMint

The saga continues. This project just will not die.

Post by MostMint »

It seems the exhaust was leaking a little where the y-pipe joins the catalytic converter. The connection must have gotten tweaked when the tranny was out and the engine leaned back on the exhaust. So I moved the clamp and cranked down on it.

I have also noticed a vibration in the driveline around 70 MPH. More of a harmonic sound than anything. I questioned whether the bolts on the rear u-joint were tight. So I went under there on Monday night and found the clip for one of the u-joint cups was loose. I put it back on the cup and tried to put it back in, but each time I would knock it off again. About the fifth time I got it right. It was nice to have a furnace. The good news it seems to have cleared up the problem.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I have decided to press this car into service for all seasons. I now have an indoor parking spot at work so winter leaky t-tops will be less of an issue.

I have also learned about the Blizzak tires, which I will be running in the winter.

In order to accommodate the winter tires, I acquired an extra set of rims at Canfield last weekend. The guy was asking $200 for a set off a 98 Camaro, I offered $160 and he took it. Argh - maybe should have started at $120.

Still need a replacement transmission.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

This car did not pass echeck last fall. Then I got into the Calais adventure and the plates expired and still no echeck.

Last month I started on the leaky exhaust gasket. Lucky for me it was small gasket where the EGR pipe meets the exhaust manifold - less than $2 part. I also took the time to clean the EGR valve, and the car passed echeck today - 817 on the CO and the limit was in the 820's.
-BP[/quote]
Fred32v

Picture?

Post by Fred32v »

Need a picture, preferably from the rear.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Put it on the scale yesterday. With 1/4 tank of gas it weighs 3280.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Last couple weeks I have started it a few times and noticed rough idle. It clears up after a minute or two. Methinks I may be in for a head gasket change soon.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

The head gasket took a turn for the worse today - belching radiator vapors out the exhaust on the way home from poker tonight. Did not abuse it at all today - it has just had enough.

So fixing it becomes a project.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I am about 2 1/2 hours into it and the intake plenum is off, as is the alternator and a few other things. About 2/3 of the V6 is under the dash so getting things out has been a little tedious.

Been reading the manual. You can't remove the valve covers without removing the plenum. The 3.4 has adjustable rockers like a small block, so that'll be fun to get right the first time.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I followed the instructions when we did the Fiero ( 2.8 ), and were able to get it right the first time without having to redo it. It can be done...

-BP