2005 Yamaha Raptor 660

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Blue_69_malibu

Re: 2005 Yamaha Raptor 660

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Nice Job!!

I'm not sure if John's old trailer.....the one that I used to pick up that Matco box in Columbus.....had the same issue with the plate getting beat up.

My trailer plates all seem to pick up sea weed. :)
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Blue_69_malibu wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:10 pm Nice Job!!

I'm not sure if John's old trailer.....the one that I used to pick up that Matco box in Columbus.....had the same issue with the plate getting beat up.

My trailer plates all seem to pick up sea weed. :)
My trailer had the same license plate issue. My solution was to bend the plate length-wise
about two inches from the bottom of the plate to give clearance when it tilted. Mine had
no gate like this one does.

BP, The way you have your plate there’s no license plate light. Not sure if you care or not,
but a cop with nothing better to do with his time might give you a hard time. Also, for not
too much money, you might want to consider upgrading the tail lights to LED. The style you
have has a bulb in it and they quickly will lose ground and your lights will be out. I converted
mine to LED and never touched a light for over ten years. Not even a Matco box ( or two! )
could make them waiver. Just a thought.

GM
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

These are already LED lights all the way around. They look old school but...

The license plate light I just gave up on. Even the small t-bracket for the license plate would get bent if it didn't have the plate on it. There's pretty much no way to use their design. So I mounted the plate nice and high so it can be seen, and if some d-bag would pull me over for it, I can at least explain the ridiculous design. But I expect to not have any issues with that.

-BP
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Matco Box....OR TWO.....is absolutely correct, Sir GM Johnny!! :)
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Blue_69_malibu wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:59 am Matco Box....OR TWO.....is absolutely correct, Sir GM Johnny!! :)
When it comes time to buy the third Matco box, you’ll have to reach
out to BP!

GM
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The Raptor got it's new wheel / tire combo installed yesterday. It's a much more streetable tire, really designed for hard packed dirt, but certified road worthy in Europe. They definitely transform the handling of this thing on dry pavement. It's like going from an 18:1 steering box to a 12:1. Turning is instantaneous now and does require a recalibration to ride. But doesn't take long.
The new front wheels and tires weigh exactly what the original set does. Each one weighs 15.6 lbs. So I don't see a whole lot of reason to be switching the fronts back and forth for different types of riding. The new rears are heavier vs the old rears. 21.5 lbs vs 19.2 lbs each. I will be running the stock rears in the dirt anyway, but swapping them is so easy and simple.
And it looks cooler IMO with the polished wheels and smooth tread pattern. I do plan to try to polish the factory wheels so when I swap them around, they will look pretty similar at least.

-BP
Attachments
street tires 2-10-24.jpg
street tires 2-10-24a.jpg
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

Looking REAL good!