1987 Corvette Z52

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

Re: 1987 Corvette Z52

Post by Basement Paul »

On Wed AM we decided to lower the back of the car by using the longer bolt method of dropping the car. This is good and bad as it turns out. The good part is it lowered the car somewhere between 1-2" depending on the measurement and side. And that looked pretty cool. The bad part is that the rear wheels were towed in now, even when there was no weight on the car, and even worse with a driver and with the car in gear. The reason that is bad is that the rear tires are no longer flat on the ground, so when you want to launch at the dragstrip, you're not using all of the tire anymore. I went from dead hooking on every pass with over 32psi in the tires to spinning every time with only 24psi... Not an ideal situation, so on Saturday I plan to just go back to the stock bolts and let the rearend sit up high and proud in stock mode. It's an easy swap, so lesson learned. I'm not convinced one way or the other yet if the lowered setup will be better in an autocross / road course scenario, but it's easy to go back and forth if necessary.

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I'm pretty sure the rear toe-in is adjustable -- there's a spec for it, at least. You might be able to fix it without losing your lowered stance.

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Good thinking, and I'll look into that, but might wait for a later date when I start fine tuning. For now we still have bigger stuff to fix and I don't have to think or learn to fix it.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I said toe, but really meant camber...

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

One of the four 3rd brake light bulbs was out. An 891 halogen push in deal from the 80s. Apparently no stores in Painesville carry them, but every store that's 10miles away does... So I'll just have to drive a little farther this morning to fetch one. Don't worry though, it's sunny and I have a convertible, it will be OK.
When I took the third light assembly apart, I could see how poorly the paint doesn't match the original color. I like the new color better, but now I have absolutely no way to touch it up as problems arise.

-BP
Attachments
paint match 8-3-23.jpg
3rd brake bulb.jpg
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Today we put the rear suspension back to stock. We tried to tint the glass targa roof ourselves, but failed. Then when I went to leave from Dad's to go home the battery light was magically now on and the volt meter said it wasn't charging anymore. I had already driven the car more than 30 miles this morning... This is a bummer since I was planning to race it tomorrow. No local auto parts stores carry that alternator, so we'll have to get one on order.
That was pretty much a bummer...

-BP

Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The new alternator is installed and functioning properly at 13.9 V at warm idle. This week we will get to MostMint's place and try to test fit his Jaguar wheels from Kurt's car (I think). If they clear with no modifications, I'm going to buy tires for dirt drag racing and give that a shot with this car. Seems like it would be fun and would have a strong showing in a 2wd class. But mostly just for fun. In the meantime we'll be back at the drags on Wednesday.

-BP
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Had the C4 out for a run today returning the core of the old alternator for $11 to Newbury Auto Parts.
Then took it to the Marathon at the bottom of the hill for 7 gallons of 93 octane,
hoping to drive it to see the Mint one on Wednesday.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Another visit to Newbury Auto Parts
Returning our new alternator.
We now have another new alternator,
this time they tested it before they gave it to me.

Now on the bench awaiting installation.
I got a guy.
Fred32v
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

The rear y-pipe has been bugging me for awhile since whoever replaced the large rear cat converter put this pipe that chokes it down from 3" to 2-1/4" before the Y. I bought a cheap 3" to 2.5" Y-pipe to replace (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/JEX-U6-4) the crappy choked down one. I got to work Saturday night and was able to sawzall the cuts close enough to where I needed for welding in the rear, and clamp in the front. I wanted it to look stock like it did before and not leak and I was able to accomplish that mission. I can't really feel a lot from the seat of the pants but I guarantee it will be stronger as it's a way bigger and smoother setup.
We did some stuff buying another set of rims and tires for the dirt drags. I'll let 32V post pictures of the wheels.

-BP
Attachments
Vette pipe 8-26-23.jpg
Vette pipe 8-26-23b.jpg
Vette pipe 8-26-23a.jpg
Vette pipe 8-26-23c.jpg
Vette pipe 8-26-23d.jpg
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

The wheels picture that BP promised, two Jag, two Vette, now all are black.
Black wheels
Black wheels
Ready for whatever is to come.
Fred32v
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I made a trip to the Tiresmoke Munson outpost to pick up a little hardware for the Porsche project and to see the DirtVette in person!
Attachments
20230902_101605.jpg
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

You know the tires are badass when you mean-mug the camera and point at them. Obviously we test fit them but decided not to drive on them until we get new lug nuts with an extended thread to go inside the bigger lug holes that the rims have.

-BP
wxo

Post by wxo »

Where are you thinking of using those badass tires?
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Dirt drags at Dragway 42 ( and other places eventually):

https://www.koidragracing.com/

-BP