1996 Collector Edition Corvette

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

wxo

Re: 1996 Collector Edition Corvette

Post by wxo »

The bog is noticeable at 43.5 psi (stock) and makes it difficult to easily coordinate the clutch and gas when starting from a stop. Unless I carefully pedal it off the line, it will stall. I plan to increase the fuel pressure to make it better. It's my goto solution. In addition, the driver's seat being just a smidgen too far back, adds to the difficulty. I think it's time to get the seat operational so that I can move it back to get in and out and then bring it forward enough to drive comfortably. Little by little I'm gaining on it. Once I get it off the line, though, it runs like the wind.
wxo

Post by wxo »

ODO: 104127

I tore apart the dash today to remove the HVAC controller because a few of the buttons were not responding. I followed this video: https://youtu.be/KBeqA1n9q9A which demonstrates how to clean the contacts on each push button.

When I got it back together it was a yuge success. All the buttons work now. Next step is to get the AC working so that I can use these buttons.
wxo

Photos from Fred's visit

Post by wxo »

We gave Silvia a bath then took some photos:
011.JPG
010.JPG
009.JPG
008.JPG
005.JPG
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

With the C4, we ran an errand for Randi to pickup a package.
It was about a 30ish minutes away from Walt's place.
Once we picked up the package we were ready for the ride home.
Walt had an old Merle Haggard tape which he put in the player.
Yep, we sang all the way back to Walt's, like we were
"Somewhere in the middle of Montana".
Anyway that's made for a fun memory.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
wxo

Post by wxo »

Cleaning up my work bench this afternoon, I found the remaining piece of fuel hose I used to replace the one that had burst. In the back of my mind I heard Maverick whispering to me "be sure to use fuel injection hose". Well...the hose on there now is SAE 30R6 with rated working pressure of 35 psi!!!
That will not do at all! Time for a "do over". Lesson learned. This time through, I plan tp replace the Delphi FP with the Walbro unit along with the right piece of hose.
wxo

Post by wxo »

I went to NAPA and bought some "fuel injection Hose". It was about $8 a foot. It seemed quite expensive, but I needed it. When I got home, for some reason, I started researching the hose I bought. I quickly learned that this hose is not to be used for "in tank" applications. What the...? As I looked into it further I learned that there is such a thing as "submersible fuel line" which is rated for constant use submerged in fuel. This time I went to Amazon and found Gates #27093 5/16 ID hose for...wait for it...$25 a foot!!! Delivered tomorrow. Oh well, it's the right thing to do.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

That's just spitting in the ocean at this point.

-BP
wxo

Post by wxo »

ODO: 104168

For the last several days I've been actively working on several things simultaneously.

First, the fuel pump. I took another dive into the fuel tank to replace the small piece of standard FI hose attached to the fuel pump. The new hose is immersible in fuel. While I was in there, I decided to change the fuel pump to the Walbro I had on hand. This completed, Silvia ran well, but still wanted to stall or cough at the wrong time. So, as usual, I bumped up the fuel pressure from 45 to 46 psi. That did the trick! She is much easier to drive not having to mentally anticipate a possible cough or stall while shifting. She will also easily pull 5th gear in normal driving and 6th gear is usable on level roads. I would say, I'm pleased with the way she drives now.

Next, I replaced a section of AC line that was leaking R134. I examined or replaced all the other o-rings in the system snugged up the connection and pulled a vacuum for an hour. The vacuum held indicating no leaks. After adding a couple of cans of R134, I had a working AC system. At this point. I would say it may take some road testing to be able to say this is a good fix.

Finally, I addressed some of the rattles going down the road. There was a control cable that was somehow not fastened down by its hold down clip. This turned out to be the major noise maker. In addition, when I had the console and dash apart for the HVAC controller repair, I made it a point to make sure each part was solidly in place with the screws tightened. Silvia now feels somewhat more civilized. What great fun to drive now! Hi Yo Silvia!!
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Sounds like you're in for a well-earned Summer of fun driving. 8)
Maverick
wxo

Post by wxo »

We can always hope. I think Silvia is going to have to prove her reliability to Randi before I get a traveling companion.

It occurred to me that it's possible that some of the younger dudes in our group may not be aware of the Lone Ranger western series on the radio and later TV starting in the late 1940's. I have "Hi Yo Silver" permanently imbedded in my mind from those "thrilling days of yesteryear". https://youtu.be/p9lf76xOA5k"Hi Yo Silvia...the Lone Wrencher rides again!"
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

"Hi Yo Silvia...the Lone Wrencher rides again!" :lol:
Maverick
wxo

Post by wxo »

ODO: 104223

I put on 55 miles and Silvia's Climate Control system appears to be working splendidly. I set it to 70° this afternoon and drove around in with the ambient temperature at 88°. The system kept me comfortable with the windows and top up. I hope it continues like this. It felt very civilized. :mrgreen:
With the extra load of the compressor on the engine, I bumped up the fuel pressure from 46 to 47psi. The LT4 is running very well. No more messing with the clutch when starting from a stop. She pulls well in all 6 gears starting at 1000 rpm. I found some info in the shop manual to support the fuel pressure I'm using. It is in the fuel injection diagnostic section. It states/implies that the acceptable fuel pressure range is 41 to 47 psi with the vacuum disconnected and plugged. Right now Silvia seems to like 47 psi the best so far.
wxo

Post by wxo »

Although Silvia is now running the best since her rescue from the barn, there are still issues that need attention:
1. She is cold natured. On the first start of the day, it starts quickly but then idles rough. She smooths out when up to temperature. I'm going to remove, clean, and adjust the Idle Air Control (IAC)

2. Intermittently, it acts like it is flooding when restarting while hot. She will spin a while before catching and reluctantly the engine will clear and start to run normally. I plan to lift up the fuel rail while still connected and pressurize it to see if any of the injectors are leaking.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Did this hot start problem happen with the old fuel pump as well? Also I wonder if this could be a bit of heat soak causing vapor lock.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
wxo

Post by wxo »

Yes. It happened with the second Delphi pump and now the Walbro pump. Thanks, Andy, you may have something there. I can try shielding the lines closest to the exhaust manifold to see if it changes anything