2018 GMC Terrain

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

GMJohnny

Re: 2018 GMC Terrain

Post by GMJohnny »

67,073… Snow tires off, summer tires on. This will definitely be the last summer for the summer tires. I’m 1/4” from the wear bars and not wanting to run them past that. The snows look like one more winter is going to be in their future. They’re Michelin’s and wearing surprisingly well. TPMS sensors reset fine.

GM
GMJohnny

Brake pads & rotors

Post by GMJohnny »

67,505 …. About mid-January, I started noticing my rear rotors getting rust pits on them. There was a gradual deterioration of them over the next couple of months and, even through they were still stopping without grinding, I opted to have them replaced. They had plenty of meat left on them, but turning rotors isn’t a thing anymore, so I went with new. The fronts were just starting to pit, and I’m pretty certain I could’ve made it to fall with them, but in the spirit of having the problem behind me, I got those changed too. A guy at work is an ASE mechanic and does side work, so I had him to the work overnight and I’m on the road again. These were the original pads and rotors, so I feel I did pretty well at just under 70,000 miles and 6 years old. I’m certain that the drives to Cleveland in the winter salt weren’t kind to the rotor surfaces and lead to their death BEFORE the pads were worn out. I’m hoping that I don’t have to do another brake job on this car in the future, but time will tell the tale on that. It should be noted that stopping was significantly improved with the new hardware. My guess is that that the rears were guilty party there.

GM
Attachments
IMG_7259.jpeg