1-day delay for new users

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

MostMint

1-day delay for new users

Post by MostMint »

Tiresmoker,

Can we set this up to force a 24 hour delay for new users? It might cut down on the spammers.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

The other option is to force admin approval for all accounts. If that's time consuming, perhaps a few moderators can pitch in and be granted the rights to approve as well. That should prevent almost all spamming.
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I looked through the config options, but I can't seem to fnid anything like either of those options, even though I believe there should be.

-Dave
TheRookie

Post by TheRookie »

You'll want to look at this section:

http://www.phpbb.com/support/guide/#section3_2_2_1

You can set the account creation mode to "admin" for approval. You can also try the visual code setting which helps weed out robot signups i.e.e "enable visual confirmation.
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I've gone through the userlist and deleted everything that didn't look like a legitimate person. We went from over 140 "users" to under 30. New users must do the visual check, plus they will need to be activated by me. Thanks for bringing this up guys, this housecleaning was overdue.

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Board software update

Post by TireSmoker »

I've updated to the newest release of phpBB (2.0.22, from 2.0.19) and installed the Delete User Mod. It is now sooooo much easier for me or MostMint to delete users. There about 10 new user registrations every week, pretty much all spambots. It was like a 8-step process to delete a single user before, now it's 1.

Since it's easier to clean up now, I've put the registration back at 'user' level, which means they at least need to click on link sent to their registered email address before someone can post. Not that we seem to get many, but this would let a legitimate person post right away and will also cut down on email clutter sent to me and Andy from the board software asking us to review a new user registration.

Andy -- you need to be on the 'subSilver' template to see the "X" for deleting users. You'll see it next to their name/avatar on posts, in the memberlist, and when viewing their profiles. You won't see the X's in the AcidTech template. At least until I figure out how to add it to the AcidTech template files.

-Dave
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I can be a more efficient user terminator :cool:
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]