Master Cylinder

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

markss327

Master Cylinder

Post by markss327 »

I'm confused. Yea, what else is new.
My existing master cylinder (drum\drum) has the front brakes using the port nearest the firewall. I assume that the reservoir nearest the firewall is for the front brakes too.

Now, my new and improved master cylinder (disc\drum) has the larger reservoir, for the front discs, away from the firewall. Soo, does that mean the port with the red plug is front, and the blue for the rear?

Also, here is the Nova in it's current condition.

Oh,yea, Santa got Colleen and I a Canon A540 Digital camera. Nice.
I can't explain the pants on the fender.......
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Red is front and blue is rear. Thats how I would set it up. Are you changing the proportioning valve too?
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Fred32v

Pants and Glove

Post by Fred32v »

Looks like serious progress to me. Well, I can understand why the pants are on the fender, but I'm not sure about the glove. Anyway, loving the pictures, keep em comin'.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
markss327

Post by markss327 »

When I first got the Nova, (Feb, 1988) one of the first mods was to trash the single reservoir master cylinder. Simply a safety issue. I replaced the single reservoir master, with a drum/drum master cylinder for a 1968 Nova. I added the line loc at the same time. Around 1993, I added the front discs, and kept the drum/drum master. The current drum/drum master cylinder setup, has no proportioning valve plumed in. I've never had any (premature) rear brake lock-up issues with this setup. Brakes have always been rather impressive on this car. I've set her down pretty hard, and it's always stopped straight, and no lockup, unless it was intentional.

I've never really understood the purpose of a proportioning valve. Feel free to chime in and explain how/why they work. Really.

Anyway, upgrading to a disc/drum - well, the big/small reservoir just looks right. And, a 're man', was only $19.
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!