1981 El Camino

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

Re: 1981 El Camino

Post by Basement Paul »

If the bottom end is good, there's lots of different combos of these "top end kits" that would get you all the power you need without breaking the bank. And you know all the parts will work together:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl- ... oCnnHw_wcB

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Yes, I think that would be the "minimum" option. Gotta tear it down and see what's there in the current engine. If, in the unlikely case, its a roller block in good condition I'd probably do something like that. That's kinda what I did for the roller Windsor that went into my son's '70 F100, although Prestigemoto.com assembled a top end kit for less money than Edelbrock and I also replaced rings and bearings. Slippery slope ...
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Finally got at it today, pulling stuff off the engine getting it ready to come out. WXO is coming Monday to get the engine out and apart and see what I've got.

This GM car is going to take some getting used to. :) Think I have it in my head now -- left side odd, right side even. I bet I spent a half hour looking for the last two header bolts till I noticed there are only six on a side. :oops:

I think the engine will come out without opening the AC or power steering if we leave the trans in place. Looks to be enough room to leave the radiator and condenser also in place. Have a new cross member that has a hump on the left side to accommodate duals. Expect we can remove the old cross member, lower the trans to get at the bell top housing bolts, then put the new cross member in when the engine goes back in. Its gotta be a lot easier to change that cross member with the exhaust loose and trans unattached from the engine.

Cyl #8 header bolts are a bear!! I see why guys remove the HVAC unit for some hot rods.
Maverick
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Regarding the gas tank, I have heard that GM sometimes puts an insert in the tank on trucks to move the vent lower. This way when you order a larger tank they just don't install the vent and charge you extra $. This was newer vintage models I don't really know if this is applicable to your El Camino.

Regarding Hooker headers, I've only ever had one set. They were Super Comps and they fit my small block in the Trans Am with no clearancing required anywhere. They were the only aftermarket headers I have ever installed dent free. And they were freaking awesome 1 3/4 pipes ceramic coated. It was 1998 so things may have changed since then! Of course those were on stock head castings. If you are building it to race go with the raised ports and sort out the right headers, but I'm thinking you can probably get the HP you want in a package that fits up to a standard header configuration.

As far a color, I'm partial to blue metal flake with white stripes and gold stars. 8)
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

WXO and another friend, Jim, came over yesterday and we got the engine and trans out. The under side of the car is pretty nasty due to the leaking oil. Power washed the engine and trans so its not SO filthy. FYI BP, with the dirt removed and a clear view of the casting number the first digit clearly IS a "3" like I said. :wink:

We pulled the intake, heads and pan. It a very clean, flat tappet, two-piece rear seal, 4-bolt main engine. No bosses for a roller-tappet spider. Haven't measured bore and stroke to confirm its a 350 but I expect it is. Cylinders showed a little remaining cross-hatch, some vertical scoring and very little, if any, ridges. Didn't see any overbore, e.g. "030", stamped on the pistons. Maybe that's not common practice any more. Pulled the rear main. Some copper was showing on the bearing and very minor scoring was evident on the crank. Didn't pull the (Edelbrock aluminum) front cover to check the timing chain or pull the cam to inspect it for damage. Assuming the cam is OK, the engine could be resealed, reassembled with new oil pump and timing chain and used as is if boring were the objective. :roll:

Still no plan.

Thought I'd get the engine compartment power washed today but more recovery activity from the check fraud and Valentine Day's shopping kept me from it. First things first.

WXO took pictures.
IMG_3189.JPG
IMG_3191.JPG
IMG_3195.JPG
IMG_3197.JPG
IMG_3199.JPG
IMG_3206.JPG
IMG_3211.JPG
IMG_3212.JPG
IMG_3215.JPG
IMG_3219.JPG
IMG_3217.JPG
Not bad for three old geezers. Eh?
Maverick
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

Maverick,

Are you sure that you aren't Junior Johnson, and WXO and buddy Jim aren't old
school NASCAR guys??

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/rac ... ?s=594x594

GM
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

:lol: :lol: You sensed our fantasy. :lol: :lol:
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

You can put a lot of moonshine in the back of an El Camino.

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

BP, hope you know I was joking about the "3" vs "8". Sure looked like an "8" before some more crude was removed and a good look was possible.
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Actually, I think that was meant for TireSmoker anyway. :P I don't know much about small block Chevy motor numbers, or any motor numbers for that matter. That's what Google is for...

Keep going with the updates. I love watching other people work! I spent all day Sunday waxing my S10. FINALLY!

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Oh, yeah. Tiresmoker. Guess I blew that joke.
Maverick
Maverick

Decision

Post by Maverick »

Ordered a 430 HP 383 GM Crate engine from Summit. :D Thought about it for 3 days and pulled the trigger last night. Summit says its "Ready to Ship". I'm Ready to Receive but the EC engine compartment needs work.

Previously ordered a rebuilt Monte Carlo SS steering box and PS pump and hose kit. EC forum says the steering box is a bolt in with quicker steering. Guys that have installed one love it. The 1" play in the steering wheel is mostly, or maybe all, from the steering gear. PS pump and steering gear are both leaking. It'll be a LOT easier to install with the engine out.
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

That will be so sweet when installed, plus no real modifying / fabricating to make it work. Perfect!

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Jim, is that a GM SP383? That's basically the same engine as the zz383 in my Chevelle. It runs and drives great!

Good call on the steering box too. I'd like to do the same swap on the Blazer.

-Dave
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Dave,

I ordered Summit part number "BP383" Blueprint Engine. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mll-bp38313ctc1

The "SP383" GM Performance Engine at Summit is https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal- ... /overview/

BP383 is $600 less and includes carb and dist, cast crank and single plane intake.

SP383 includes forged crank, (now includes) single plane intake, water pump but no carb or dist. Strange that it's listed as 5 less HP?!?! It may have roller rockers judging by the valve covers which would have been nice.

Actually, I didn't look at the SP383 but if I did I would have chosen the BP383 because of the dual plane intake and $600 lower price.

Expected delivery is 1-5 days with additional delay for residential address. WXO and I are pretty pumped up about it.

Got the engine compartment power washed yesterday. Today I'll work on the steering gear replacement. I probably don't have a puller that will remove the Pittman arm. Maybe Autozone has a loaner.

JIm
Maverick