1985 V8-S10 Blazer

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

Re: 1985 V8-S10 Blazer

Post by TireSmoker »

I know the mounts you are talking about, but I never liked that style much. It seems destined to either fail or damage the radiator.

Made a trip to Summit tonight -- picked up the torque converter/converter bolts, trans cooler, header gaskets/bolts, and some break-in oil. I'm picking up the rebuilt 700r4 on Saturday.

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

This thing is going to be sooo much sweeter than it was!

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I feel like I'm doing 75% of everything I've done to the Chevelle in 25 years in the course of one winter project.

-Dave
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

You know.....it seems like yesterday...but it was back in November when we were at The Auburn Inn for dinner.

And Dave has about ready to start his Vortec head swap.....and use some "parts sitting around in Inventory, doing nothing". :D

In all honesty, once Project Scope Creep is finished....and it will be, soon....it will all be worth it. The Blazer should turn out very nice and be much more fun to drive. Before, it was cool. Now, it's gonna be a whole lot faster. Ergo, even cooler!!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I picked up my new 700r4 on Saturday. Bill at http://www.thetransmissionshop.org put together what should be a pretty good unit. Red Eagle clutches, wider Red Eagle 2-4 band, Kolene steels, hardened splines on the sun shell, B&M Shiftkit configured for Street/Strip. I'm pairing it up with a Summit 11 or 12" 2600 stall lockup converter. And since the new radiator doesn't have integrated transmission cooler, I've got a regular aftermarket one to hang/plumb in front of the radiator.

Chris came over and Gwen helped too, we got the engine and trans back in today! Had to pull it once after setting it in and finding the ears of the transmission case were interfering with the exhaust on both side. After pulling it out, sliced off the ears with the angle grinder, and got everything back in. I need to round up some metric bolts for the trans mount. Bolts from the TH350 dont fit. Having removed a long-tail TH350 means I don't have to shorten the driveshaft for the 700.

With the engine in place, I set the radiator in place and I'm going to have plenty of room for a couple puller fans on the radiator. Very happy about that!

But now I can pick at all the little issues. Can't wait to get this thing fired up!

-Dave

20170226_142418.jpg
20170226_163651.jpg
20170226_163635.jpg
20170226_170327.jpg
20170226_220658.jpg
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Made more progress tonight. Got the radiator fan mounted. Got the accessories installed on the engine. I am working on the trans cooler -- need to mount the cooler, but the -6an push-lock hose is in place. I'm waiting for tube-to-AN adapters so I can connect them to the ni-copp lines I have installed at the transmission.

I need to adapt the upper radiator hose from 1.25" to 1.5". Old hose would fit perfect if it had a larger end. For the lower hose, I think I have what I need to make one. (2 90s and a coupler). The nipple for the over flow tank is supposed to thread in by the cap. Well, the threads got damaged when the neck was modified. Ordered a 1/8npt pipe tap, hope I can clean that up. Custom radiators take a bunch of work.

Fuel pump needs to be clocked. I think I tried clocking it when it was still on the stand but that the output was almost hitting the block. I need to try that again now that I see it won't work as-is. I could go back to the original pump too.

-Dave
Attachments
20170228_212538.jpg
20170228_213123.jpg
20170228_213858.jpg
20170228_215921.jpg
20170228_215929.jpg
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Basement Paul wrote:Will this help:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/spe-7810

-BP
Wow, that looks about perfect. Good find!! On its way.

This is the one I found at Jegs, http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance- ... 5/10002/-1 Figured I could shorten it down to just a few inches, but I like the one you found better.

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

After I read your post, I remembered I had to do something similar with the Caddy when I put the aluminum radiator in it.

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

So this is the piece from Summit that Paul suggested. The upper hose fits sorta snugly into the adapter. We'll see how it seals. I also pieced together a lower hose with a couple 90s, a coupler, and some trimming. Forgot to get a pic of it.
IMG_0076.JPG
Here is the with the repaired/improved overflow outlet connected.
IMG_0066.JPG
So the radiator is essentially done -- I just need to wire the fan up with a relay and it'll be 100% done.

I re-clocked the fuel pump, and as I kinda thought, the output hits the block. I guess I'll go back to the stock-ish pump that came on the engine.
IMG_0068.JPG
The big headache right now is the trans + crossmember. The mount I removed from the TH350 and put on the 700 isn't allowing the trans to sit on the mounting pad of the crossmember. I've been hacking up the mounting pad thinking it was getting stuck by the threads on my the hole I drilled, plus clearancing the mounting pad to not hit the rear of the trans pan.
IMG_0070.JPG
I also got the speedo gears changed. I installed a 15/38 gear combo. Still waiting on a TV cable on a TCC wire harness.

On the engine, I need to get the oil pressure sender re-installed before I can set the distributor in. Once those two tasks are done, I just need to add spark plugs and fluids, I think.

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

How about a 90 on that fuel pump? Looks like there's room for it. You'd have to take it off to install, but after that should be OK.

-BP
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Nope, no room. It's hitting the block.

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Like Maverick, I've been somewhat sick for the past week or so, coupled with Old Man Winter returning for one last hurrah, so my progress got really slowed down recently.

Chris came over today and we got more stuff done. We got the TV cable installed into the trans, after having to remove some of the exhaust first. But once it was in, we got the exhaust 'headers' fully bolted in. I also completed the lower radiator hose after acquiring some clamps at Turneys. I had bought a couple 90* hoses, a 45* hose, and a straight couple. After some trimming I ended up using a 45, straight coupler, and a 90*. The original hose was made much the same way.

I swapped the original fuel pump back on, but the feed line from the tank is now a little short, because I had to cut the line when I was pulling the engine because I couldn't get it off the pump at the time. I thought there was some slack there, but I guess I not. Also, the line from the pump to the carb was shorter than I wanted before the swap, so I have some extra hose now to make up a new line there too. Both should be an easy fix.

I installed the oil pressure sender and even got the connector on this time, something I couldn't quite get on when I first swapped in the HEI last year. (I obviously didnt try hard enough back then!) I'm looking forward to having a functional oil pressure gauge. There are a few NPT fittings involved, and I had to back a couple of them off a bit while making adjustments to get everything to fit. I hope I don't end up with any leaks.

I also got the distributor installed and fully seated, only to realize a little later, that I still don't have any oil in the engine and will need to remove it again so I can run an oil pump primer. Doh!

At this point, engine is basically sealed up. With the radiator hoses done, the oil pressure sender installed, and TV cable installed, I should be able to add fluids. I have the band clamps for the exhaust, but didn't get to them today. I'm anticipating they will be a quick install. With a little luck, maybe I can get it started this week, or this weekend at the latest.

I still need to resolve the trans mount and tighten up the rear suspension before it can be driven, though. Carlisle is just barely a month away. I need to get this thing buttoned up so I have some time to test and troubleshoot!

Sorry, no pics today.

-Dave
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Agonizingly close to fire up. Fixed up the fuel lines to/from the fuel pump. Exhaust band clamps are on. Oil is in, and oil pump was primed. Distributor is in. trans fluid is in (some of it, was told to put in half before fire-up, then top if off once running) I have the wires for the 700r4 TCC run into the cab, but not hooked up.

Electric fans are mounted, but not wired. Need to fill the radiator with water. I'm having some concerns about that upper radiator hose adapter, but I'll see how it fares. If I have to use duct-tape to get through break-in, so be it.

I wonder what I'm forgetting... :-)

-Dave
Attachments
IMG_0092.JPG
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

TireSmoker wrote: I wonder what I'm forgetting... :-)
Well, I forgot that I bought a new crank pulley, which is a little smaller than the old pulley, so my belts are now too long. Once I get new ones tomorrow, it should be ready to start!!

-Dave