Operation Cheap Jack Bastage!

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Racin'Jacin

Operation Cheap Jack Bastage!

Post by Racin'Jacin »

So my beloved Blackhawk (I think) floor jack has finally taken a dump!!

I bought it 20-25 years ago at a garage sale - it looked old when I got it, but for 50 smackers it has really served me well....TOO WELL....I can't let it go!!

After full disassembly it doesn't look too bad EXCEPT for the plunger housing - that part is WHOPPED!!!

To Be Continued

Racin'Jacin
Basement Paul

Re: Operation Cheap Jack Bastage!

Post by Basement Paul »

The suspense is killing me...

-BP
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Paul, after some asking around it was suggested that the alloy is likely 12L14. A quick test cut on the old part suggests that they are correct!!!!

Just so happened I had a small hunk of 12L14 laying around.

After some fiddling and fartin' around on the lathe and we have a winner!!!! (I hope)

The rebuild kit I bought shorted me 1 o-ring- so hopefully I can find on this weekend.

In the meantime I need to paint everything - nothing special - rustoleum and a brush most likely!

Here's the replacement part:

To be continued (again!)

Jacin
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Hey Paul, I thought you'd get a kick out of this: AFTER making that part I had a guy on another forum tell me that HE has that part in STOCK!!!!! Mine was done so I didn't even want to know how much a NEW one was - I'm gonna tell myself ALOT so I don't feel bad!!! ha ha

Anyways here's the near completed unit:

Please note the oil leak beneath it - apparently you actually have to TIGHTEN all the fittings - hopefully no leaks tomorrow since everything is now tight - (I think)

Here's the tool I made to impact the cylinder cap back in place. Like a hillbilly I used a big pipe wrench to remove it - not sure why I didn't make this tool in the first place!!!!

Paint job is quicky rattle can which likely looks better in pics than in person, but more than good enough for me as I want to USE this not look at it!!!!! ;-)

Racin'Jacin
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

It's good to have skills! I'm sure that part was at least $4-5... If you ever find yourself in need of a hydraulic o-ring, I might know a guy that works right up the street from you.

Now you just need to get it dirty so it looks old again!

Nice job.

-BP
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

An old jack is like an old friend. Crazy nice outcome.
If we were on facebook, I'd want to "LIKE" it.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Basement Paul wrote:<snip> I'm sure that part was at least $4-5... <snip>

Now you just need to get it dirty so it looks old again!

Nice job.

-BP
Yeah Paul that's what I was thinking!!! It SHOULD be a 5 dollar part, but I'm usually off by a zero!

I think this is a Blackhawk JS2 jack - if anyone is rebuilding one do yourself a favor and make a tool to remove that big nut - or you can borrow mine so long as I get it back.

I'm in the HUNT for another one of these - I need a backup!!!! There's one on Ebay for 140 in NJ,but he won't ship it!!! ;-( I offered him 140 shipped - musta pissed him off as he never replied one way or another - ha ha ha.

Today I painted the sheet metal cover for the back of the jack - that ought to really make it look complete!!!! So far I think I am OK on the leaks!!!!

Fred, most definitely an Old Friend!!!!! I've used this jack for everything over the years!!!!

Jacin