1978 Lincoln Continental Coupe

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

wxo

Re: 1978 Lincoln Continental Coupe

Post by wxo »

Jim, you are working with double the length of cable you really need. You have the original run from the trunk to the dash plus at least the same length from the new camera coiled up in your trunk. I think it would be worth cutting and splicing to remove the coil in the trunk.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Thanks for comments.

WXO, do you have any experience putting an RCA plug onto coax? I haven't looked around for info yet.

From what I've seen online, the coil doesn't degrade signal but the length of the cable does. Might help some to eliminate 20 feet of the small coax that came with the camera. Coax already in the car is 1/4" diameter in contrast to the 1/8" coax on the camera.
Maverick
wxo

Post by wxo »

Yes. In the past I have gotten a replacement plug such as =>
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-106212 ... B003L1504Q
and just soldered it in. Not much to it with the right plug.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

OK. Since that's an "Add On" item at Amazon I'll see if Best Buy has one. Need to go there anyway to see about two wireless TV solutions. Need a wireless connection from my laptop to my TV and an over-the-air TV antenna with wireless connection to the TV.
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Best Buy doesn't sell RCA (or any other?) terminals/connectors. The ones WXO picked out for me were "Add on" items on Amazon and I didn't feel like spending $25 to get a connector. Ordered some online (no Radio Shack nearby) only to find out they were "speaker plugs", i.e., single wire, no isolation between the center and outer ring. Who knew?? WXO got me straightened out on the two styles of RCA plugs and even found the right ones in his stash. :D

Got the tiny wires from the camera lead soldered on to the shortened wire and the camera looks good now. Better than it looks in the picture.

Actually, the picture wasn't too bad before in the daylight, but its better now. I'm eager to try it at night to see how much it improves in that light.

BTW, the IOGEAR wireless connection from laptop to TV didn't work. Spent all morning fussing with it with three calls to their support with no success. Fortunately, New Egg is taking it back with no hassle. Looks like if I want a good solution, I'll have to shell out another $70. :(
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Looks like HD!

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Took the Lincoln south of Raleigh to a monthly cruise in. While talking to a El Camino guy, he asked about the Lincoln ET. Told him 9.1 sec. Couldn't understand why he was so blown away by that. :shock:

As I left, it occurred to me that I might not have mentioned it was in the 1/8th mile. If he was thinking 1/4 mile, he must have been thinking I was some BSer! :mrgreen:
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Intended to mention the engine temps on the 95 degree day yesterday. Ran between 195 and 210 with the 180 degree thermostat and AC on full. Think the original radiator might be marginal with the approximate doubling of HP.

NO fuel vaporization issues with the in-tank pump and bypass regulator.
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Fred32, WXO, and I took the Lincoln to the Super Chevy Show at Rockingham Dragway last weekend. We intended to go to the Charlotte Auto Fair but diverted to Rockingham, first for the lack of gasoline here in the SE due to the Alabama pipe break, then because of the riots in Charlotte. We got some stares as we drove around among the Bow Tie-er racers. Thought about running it during T&T but chose not to for a number of reasons. Never got a straight answer if they'd let FOMOCO power on the track on the Super Chevy weekend.

One thing that came up in the many fun conversations was using WXO's Wide Band O2 kit to tune the Lincoln. :idea: So, a replacement sensor was delivered from Amazon yesterday and a bung installed FREE today in the left header by my favorite exhaust shop, Henry's. I'll try to get the sensor wired in tomorrow so WXO & I can see what's up with the air/fuel ratio.
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Got the Wide Band kit installed and we took it out for a test. After it warmed up, cruise was mostly around 13.4 but WOT bounced around in the 15s. Then I realized some dummy (me) didn't install the air cleaner. :oops: So, it wasn't pulling air thru the filter and it was drawing heated, under-hood air rather than thru the cold air intakes.

During the run, something happened that we don't understand. A/F went way lean, pegged at 16 and engine wasn't running well. Whatever it was, it seemed to mostly correct itself, at least on cruise, after a few minutes. On the return trip cruise was in the 14s but WOT still pegged it at 16.

I'll repeat the test tomorrow, with air cleaner installed, and see what happens. Will also order a couple of power valves that open with higher vacuum.
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Roads are wet here today so haven't been out to retest with the air cleaner installed and cold air intakes functioning.

Did a little reading in the Holley Rebuilding and Modifying book and learned a little. Holley suggests blocking off the Power Valve Channel Restrictions (PVCR) to tune for correct main jets for cruise since the Power Valve shouldn't be contributing fuel on cruise. Makes sense. So, I shouldn't try to fix the WOT lean condition by increasing the main jet size. Answers that question. Gotta work on the Power Valve contribution under load.
Last edited by Maverick on Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I love good customer support from a huge company. :roll: I hope the QF guy has some mad knowledge for you.

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Before messing with the carb tune, I'm going to eliminate the possibility that the fuel pressure is dropping on WOT. Since the in-tank fuel pump, by-pass regulator, fuel filters, and return line are all aftermarket parts, and going lean at WOT is potentially catastrophic, it's worth checking. An electric fuel pressure gauge was ordered from Amazon. It will be mounted temporarily on the hood in front of the windshield.

While I'm at it, a vacuum gauge will also be mounted temporarily on the hood so the operation and effects of the power piston can be observed too. Might as well work up a temporary mount for WXO's A/F box in the same area so all those wires can stay out of the cabin rather than being snaked in thru the windows.
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Got the A/F display, fuel pressure gauge, and vacuum gauge temporarily mounted in front of the windshield and WXO and I took it for a little test run up I-85. This video by WXO is a full throttle run up thru the gears from 2000-5000 RPM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOYkjht20JA

I sent a query to QuickFuelTechnologies.com with a link to the video and asked for advice on how to correct the WOT lean condition. Depending on what response I get, I may also send a link to CarsByCarl.com and see what Carl has to say. (Recall that the aftermarket parts, incl carb, for the 521 were supplied by Carl.) Any TireSmokers have advice? I did some searching for carb tuning but didn't find much.

I think the unstable, low vacuum is probably related to the lean condition.

Fuel pressure remained acceptable thru all the tests.

This is FUN!! :mrgreen:
Maverick
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

Richen up the secondary jets. With as lean as you are, I'd try +4 jet sizes, which I realize is a lot, but you're VERY lean at WOT. Ideally, shoot for an AFR at full-throttle to be in mid-high 12s.

Your idle seems very rich being in the 12s, but tuning idle AFR with a WBO2 isn't always accurate.

-Dave