help, found these in my gas tank

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

TireSmoker
Site Admin

help, found these in my gas tank

Post by TireSmoker »

Hey guys, I changed out the fuel pump module in my truck to fix the gas gauge and when Tony and I were lifting the tank back into place, we heard these things rolling around in there. They seem to be check valves. Any idea what they are?

-Dave

MostMint

Re: help, found these in my gas tank

Post by MostMint »

I can only guess there is a breather vent and that goes on the end of the hose to keep the fuel vapors in. No clue why there would be two?
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
GMJohnny

Post by GMJohnny »

I've seen things that look like these in Bobcat skidsteers. In that machine it was attached to the
end of a pick up hose and acted as a one way valve. It served two functions in that machine: 1) it
kept the fuel in the line so it was always primed. 2) it was a way of weighing down the fuel line so
it always picked up the fuel from the lowest point in the tank. We discovered it when we blew the
fuel line from the injector pump back and it blew it off of the end of the pick-up hose.

GM
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

John makes some good points.

We didn't hear anything rattle around when we took the tank out. Only when we started to re-install it.

These probably came off when we disconnected the lines/sending unit.

Hmmmm......says The Accountant.
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I posted this on another site and someone said they were from the inside of a gas cap, as it someone had to break a cap or two in the past. I dunno. I put the tank back in and it is running fine. Off to GetGo after dinner to redeem my $3.xx in fuel perks and fill that thing up for less than $30. :-)

-Dave