Too cold to work in the garage, so ...

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Maverick

Too cold to work in the garage, so ...

Post by Maverick »

Yesterday I squirrel proofed the bird feeder.

It probably isn't visible in the picture, but there's a wire connected to the hanger/top section and another to the bottom section. Wires are connected to an electric fencer I had gathering dust. The wihte center section was cut a 4" PVC fitting to act as an insulator. Vertical wires in the feeder were cut, bent and stuck into holes drilled in the insulator. Rascals get zapped if they touch both the top and bottom sections. Works on squirrels and birds aren't bothered. :mrgreen:

A little yellow/green bird was the first to feed while I was only 3' from the feeder. Followed by a Chickadee.

The more hazardous down-time activity was dreaming about a 408W stroker for the Super Cab. :idea: Hope it warms up soon before I try to convince wifey of the wisdom of a stroker.
Maverick
Basement Paul

Re: Too cold to work in the garage, so ...

Post by Basement Paul »

I wish you had a video of the first squirrel that gets zapped, and all his fur standing straight up. Dr. Evil meets the Nature Channel. Love it!

-BP
wxo

Post by wxo »

If Maverick will modify my squirrel feeder, I'll gladly produce the video. I would love to see a squirrel with all it's hair standing straight out. :twisted:
Racin'Jacin

Post by Racin'Jacin »

Very cool - I plan on doing that to my gas pumps - different kinda of squirrels though.

Jacin
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

wxo wrote:If Maverick will modify my squirrel feeder, I'll gladly produce the video. I would love to see a squirrel with all it's hair standing straight out. :twisted:
No problem. But, if you don't already have an electric fencer, and you only need one electrfied feeder, it would be more economical to get one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Bills-Statio ... ird+feeder

The advantage of the fencer hookup is you can power as many feeders as you want from one fencer. I just bought a second matching feeder and a pvc fitting to make another one for sun flower seeds. It'll share the fencer with the first feeder.

If you want one like mine let me know and I'll pick up the feeder and a pvc fitting for the insulator. If you're going to buy a fencer, also check out above-ground dog control and garden/shrub protection too. Might be cheaper.

Hope your video camera has a fast shutter. Those rascals have amazing reaction times. He didn't stop running till he was out of sight. :twisted:
Maverick
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Made a second electrified bird feeder for sun flower seeds and everything was great till the electric fence charger crapped out. Ordered a new one and everything was good again. That is, till a squirrel decided to try again. Lets just say the replacement charger was a little too strong. :shock: Then two coons came and emptied the sun flower feeder. They would stand on the deck railing and reach up to the feeder. OK. :idea: A piece of hardware cloth on the railing and a piece of wire should fix that. Anything that touches the hardware cloth and the bottom of the feeder will definitely be deterred.

New charger with hi/low power setting is on the way. If the coon is lucky he'll wait to raid the feeder again till the new, low power charger is hooked up.
Maverick