TRP Sunday 8/4/13

Information about upcoming races, swap meets & shows

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

Basement Paul

TRP Sunday 8/4/13

Post by Basement Paul »

I'm thinking about taking the Mustang out this Sunday to TRP for their Ford vs. GM vs. Mopar race. Weather Channel says 73 and sunny. Sounds like a nice day to be at the track.

Any takers?

-BP
Maverick

Re: TRP Sunday 8/4/13

Post by Maverick »

Sounds like a great day to give the Stang a run. Can't wait to hear your times. Street tires?
Maverick
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

My Mustang doesn't have enough bottom end power to turn a tire. Between no low end torque and a crappy axle ratio, it should launch with no problem, even with the traction control off on the mileage miser Michelins. I'm guessing 14.0s at 100mph. Time will tell.

-BP
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I like this race. I always seem to do really well. I got four times runs in, with a best of 14.27 @ 99.2 mph. 60' times around 2.17. This car just hooks up and goes. It won't do a burnout, it barely even makes a chirp off the line.

There were 17 cars in the street tire class, which should be five rounds. Round one I cut a .003 light and ran on the brakes a 14.35 on a 14.29 dial. I guess I cut the light a little close on that one. :shock:

Round 2 was my toughest round running my buddy in his '65 Olds. He was dialed 12.48 to my 14.30. I cut a .06 to his .11 light and ran a 14.31 to his 12.45. I made him break out, and certainly didn't lift.

Round 3 I pulled the bye-run and chose not to race which put me in the 3 car semi-final.

Round 4 - 3 mustangs left. As it turns out, the guy I was supposed to race, couldn't start his car, so all of the sudden this turned into the final round as the guy who got the bye into the final got sent up instead. I was still dialed .30 to the competitions 14.20. I cut a .02 to his .2xx and the rest is history. I ran on the brakes a 14.45 and took home $50 cash, a huge trophy, and 3 pull on TI's dyno. That should be fun! Now, which car to dyno? I'm probably going to take the Caddy since I think it would be fun to get some numbers on that one.

Even though I was there by myself, there were plenty of guys to talk to and I had a ton of fun. Not to mention the relationship I have with my Mustang just got better.

-BP
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Congratulations!! Great racing on your first time out with that car.
Maverick
Fred32v

Post by Fred32v »

Another great outing. Each win was in a different car. I think it started when I had to leave and BP won in the 1999 Eldorado. (if my memory serves me correctly) The new Mustang is consistent, looks like a 13.99 at 100 in October. Those .0xx lights really help.

..........2010 TransAm..................2010 trophy
ImageImage

............2004 Truck...................2004 trophy
ImageImage

I was not there for the Cadillac finals.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!
TireSmoker
Site Admin

Post by TireSmoker »

I think Paul oughta change his name from BasementPaul to BracketPaul! Nice job, muh-man. Did you have a victory Captain when you got home?

-Dave
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I had a couple pre-race Captains the night before, so I was all Captained out. That's my secret, Captain, and an orange shirt. I was wearing my 2012 GM Carlisle Nationals orange shirt while driving my Ford... I'm a little confusing sometime.

I think it will do 100mph on a colder day, but the 13's might be a bit of a stretch stock. I can't wait until my warranty is up so I can make it faster.

-BP
Blue_69_malibu

Post by Blue_69_malibu »

I'm behind on some of my TireSmokeing....damn work and the time it takes up!

Congrats man! 14.27 is just silly for what that car is....but in a tremendously good way.

To help put things in perspective (which may not be needed), that car is faster than new Vette's were back in high school and college (pre-LT-1) and considerably stronger than new Camaros or Mustangs were.

I've got to find a way/excuse to get Jenn's Camaro out to see what it will turn. The botom end on that car is exactly as you describe yours....although it's a considerably heavier car.

Oddly enough, the Camaro is so fun/nice to drive, it really doesn't matter. I love making my Saturday a.m. run to McDonalds and to the bank in it....with the top down. It's just awesome....for lack of a better word.

Who would have thought how easy low 14s would be one day? Then again, who's complaining? Not this guy!

Lastly, very nice trophy. Good thing you've got such a nice garage to put it in!
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

I think it would be a great heads up match between the Camaro and the Mustang. I'm betting they're within a tenth of each other and similar MPH. Let me know when you're ready to head out there.

-BP