Yet another car reliability list..

This is the first forum. We'll figure out if we want more.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

VeeDub

Yet another car reliability list..

Post by VeeDub »

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/20/carm ... -rankings/

Ehh... not like its going to change our minds on what we lean towards.
I'll admit I have my favorites.....(so do you :mrgreen: ), but I DO like all sorts of different types/makes of cars.
I have also wondered what those "JD Power & Associates" (and the like) use, to come to a decision on whats reliable. So I always take that stuff with a grain of salt. My perception of quality will differ with others naturally.
Discuss :)
VeeDub

Re: Yet another car reliability list..

Post by VeeDub »

okay ill go 2nd... my mk2 vw's have a forged crank and rods ......remember here... im a watercooled guy
I was swayed when my 8v went 27 hours straight..Lincoln Ne. to Portland, Or.
I Dont care what anybody says.... that little kraut bastard held a 100 MPH(alledgedly)
for hours... that was 10 years ago.
Its still got great compression
Quality is iffy on it :mrgreen:
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

I've made my decision to not care what people in the media think. There are too many variables to factor into this. For instance - check engine light is an annoyance but it's not like you got stranded, so how do you score that?

I don't care if Kia scores above GM I won't be buying one or even taking one as a donation! Crap get under engineered on these cars all the time and so when the warranty is up they are junk. No thanks.

Of course my opinion is probably not mainstream.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

I have a strong bias toward American car companies and will buy from them if their cars are reliable enough and priced not too far out of line with the competition. I'm OK with a single warranteed repair and one or two out-of-warrantee simple repairs in 100K miles. If we planned on 200K-300K miles from a vehicle I might have to consider a foreign make.

My wife put close to 100K miles in 7 years on a 2000 DeVille with no warranteed repairs and I had to replace a failed crank position sensor. ( I suspect all the car companies get their sensors from the same suppliers so no difference there.)

I put 50K miles on my 2002 Explorer with one warrantee repair (brake calliper) and one out-of-warrantee repair -- another sensor.

Wife is driving a 2007 DTS now. Dealer replaced the final drive and then the transmission because I thought it was a little noisy. Those parts now are under lifetime warrantee because the "failed" and were replaced by Cadillac. No other problems so far in 50K miles.

None of those vehicles had any kind of tuneup done on them yet and they run just fine. I'm happy with that reliability.
Maverick