1975 Corvette

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

A cam and heads would probably wake it up really well and it's a pretty easy swap.
Matt Sutter
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Yikes, all I really needed was a little cold air to wake it up. Today it was probably mid to high 30's with just a little sunshine. The flushing toilets were frozen.

It was so cold that by the time I was getting to the freeway it was still stumbling because it had not warmed up enough yet.

On the way there I discovered that it was running out of fuel again - this time around 4800 in second gear. Oh well, I'm already on the way, and wishing I had brought the wrenches to pull that blasted fuel filter.

So off I went - got there a little early and BP and I were the second ones down the track. I put down a .130 light and he put down a .123 in the S10. He also got a little in the hole, but I reeled him in pretty good and won it. He wondered if something was wrong with truck. What was wrong was the Vette went 14.88 at 92.33. He ran 15.20. 2.18 60' time. Tried three more times, once 14.96 at 88 - the fuel problem returned; once at 14.96 @ 92.45 - short shifted to 3rd; and the last pass at 15.10 @ 87 - again fuel supply.

So it ends up about 5 or 6 tenths faster than I expected.

I am going to get another fuel filter to see if I can clear up that problem.

I have to get this thing on a scale
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

So I found a scale right near my work. Put the Vette on it the other day, but the wind prevented me from getting a definitive reading. Best I can tell it weighs 3520 with a nearly full tank of gas.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

With the arrival of the SS, and the clearing out of the 98 Lumina, this car is next on the block. so I am starting with the Corvette forum I use:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/sho ... roduct=492

I'm thinking collectorcartraderonline.com is next. It's like $100 if you want to get in the magazine. Any suggestions that will get better exposure?
markss327

Post by markss327 »

My $.02.
Known history is cool. 8)
Good pics, maybe add an engine pic.
Never have seen the car, but having followed your postings, the ad looks honest and straight forward.
Axle ratio? Front end parts? Fresh alignment? Stops and steers straight? Solid floors?
Any engine info? Good compression? All original motor? Cam, intake, carb - all original? Tranny - shifts firm?, fresh fluid and filter?

I know, too many questions.... but this kind of car, this old, the more information, the better. :P
-Mark
2012 Impala LT 3.6 VVTDI
300hp - a bit much for FWD!
wxo

Post by wxo »

Andy, I have an html script that I use to sell stuff on craigslist. I have been very successful with it because it allows many large pictures that are nicely framed. You can modify it to present your vehicle in a way that stands out above all the others. Buyers presented with a detailed look at your car can make a yes or no decision more easily. It's easier for a buyer to reject an ad with less info so you have an advantage over your competition. Everyone loves nice pictures.

It requires that you resize your pictures and then upload them to some picture hosting site. If you are interested, I'll be happy to ship it to you and then walk you through the process. At first it is a pain until you get the hang of it. The results are well worth the effort in my humble opinion.
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

I agree. An engine picture and maybe a frame/undercarriage picture.

That's a nice looking car.
Matt Sutter
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

As the thaw has passed it is time to get back to the garage. To prep the car for sale I decided I had better fix the driver seat. When I drove it in January I noticed the driver seat would no longer fold forward. Thought the latch was stuck.

Turns out there are two "stops" on the seat part of the seat and two matching stops on the back part of the seat. The seat back frame was improperly repaired and so the stops for the back did not line up with the stops on the bottom. I suppose with some welding and fabrication I could have fixed it, but instead I am replacing the frame on the back half of the seat with one I acquired at Carlisle. Thank goodness the spare silver seat I bought had good frame so I could use it as a model to figure out what was wrong with the other one.

Right now I have all the upholstery off and am ready to transfer everything to the new seat back frame. I'll take some pics tonight. So I guess I'll add upholstery work on my auto restore resume.

Also had to clamp the exhaust back on. I stood on it a little on the way home and blew the exhaust off - clamps must not have been tight enough. Luckily I was almost home at the time. So I also put that back together last night and cranked down on the clamps again.

I have a possible customer coming to see it tomorrow.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Got the seat back together last night. It took longer than I thought because I was not satisfied with the shape of the top half of the seat back, and the latch mechanism did not attach to my liking. It is still not 100% but I put it back together and got it in the car. The seat halves do line up nicely now though, and I don't think that problem will be back.

Also took the "pressure regulator" spring/plastic piston out of the fuel filter. Test drove it Sat and now it will go as fast as you want.

Turns out my potential buyer was someone I knew from a long time ago. No sale - he is still looking, but he did like the ride on this car. Man those flowmasters sound good - first time I heard the car go from the outside. Its going on collector car trader on Sunday (later today I guess)
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Got a call from Norway, the guy wants more pics. Sent him a batch yesterday but I thought I would just upload the rest and send him the links.

Edit - this hosting service is wrecking the quality of these pics. But since they are loaded I guess I'll leave them here.

The build sheet:

Taken today

lower resolution:

Last edited by MostMint on Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

He's gonna send you check for $20,000 and wants you to send him back the difference?
Matt Sutter
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

ttamrettus wrote:He's gonna send you check for $20,000 and wants you to send him back the difference?
I guess that's one way to scam. I've got an eye on the scam angle for sure. Anything that smells fishy like that will be thrown back.

If this gets any further I'll start asking more questions.
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

When I was selling my Vette, I had a guy from either Norway or Iceland (I can't remember) actually come and look at the car. He said there were very few Vette's over there, and they're worth a ton. I guess they're in high demand. The best way to get paid from out of the country is using a wire transfer because once the money is in, it's in.

Good luck.

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

So far no luck selling this car. Ebay came and went with no success. Had a few trade offers, including a 2002 Fatboy, 66 Belvedere and a 59 Ford.

Collector car trader has been yielding practically nothing. Since I am not in a rush to sell I am going to try local advertising and putting it out in the yard. Maybe I'll take it to Canfield if I can get someone to help me get it there and back.

Weighed it over the weekend. This time it came in at 3720 with me, which puts the car and 1/2 tank of gas at 3540.

After driving it again I have to think this car corners better than the SS. It has quicker ratio steering and does not lean over in the corners like the SS. I'll have some work to do on the SS.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Finally sold the car today. The buyer came up from Charlotte with an F350 and a Uhaul trailer, oh and cash. Had to let it go for $7500, which is just short of what I had in it. With the economy the way it is, I figure I took about a 25% hit on the value of the car.

Nonetheless I enjoyed the Vette experience and this chapter is closed.