1975 Corvette

Update your progress on your various car projects.

Moderators: MostMint, wxo, Fred32v, Basement Paul, ttamrettus

MostMint

Post by MostMint »

The pan is clean, and has been painted Chevy orange, as with the pan bolts. Before painting I took the time to flatten the gasket surfaces of the pan near the pan bolts (overtightening the pan bolts can pull the metal out of alignment).

I also changed the engine mounts - both of which were broken. Now to clean gasket surface on the block, recheck torque on mains and reassemble.
[quote="Basement Paul"]Is that a mint rocketship on the hood?? :shock:
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Finally a breakthrough!

The car is finally together from the oil pan adventure so I decided to start on the ignition. I forgot to recheck the torque on the mains, so I took a leap of faith and believed I got it right the first time.

I looked at my supply of HEI distributors in the basement (yes the basement), but I only had one complete distributor, and it had a piece of masking tape with a note “bad pickup ring?” in my writing. Hmmm. So I bought a pickup ring at Autozone.

Tonight I decided to take a chance and put that distributor in the car, though I did not change the pickup ring. Lo and behold – the problem is fixed!

I drove it around a little and found the quadrajet sound to be generally missing – I suspected something with the choke, but then the secondaries freed up. Something must have been sticking a little from when I had the top of the carb off.

I’ve heard turbo 400’s shift automatically to second above a certain RPM, even with the shifter in low. This one made 5000 RPM in first before I pushed the shifter.

Allegedly the car makes 80 MPH in 2nd at 5000 RPM, and 100 mph is not much work – even for the lowly L48. Not that I would go that fast on public roads of course. :wink:

From a stop the brakes will hold the car with the throttle wide open. It stalls around 1400 RPM. I tested a launch, and the fan still hits the shroud slightly so that needs fixed before racing. Also, I blew the back half of the exhaust off on the launch – thank goodness I was in my driveway at the time. (I had press fit the two parts together after I had cut the weld off while trying to debug this problem.)

No sign of loose mains - so far so good.

Next I have to do something to secure the exhaust, fix the original distributor, set up the passenger seat belt, and get the right fan on there.
-BP[/quote]
ttamrettus

Post by ttamrettus »

Excellent.
Matt Sutter
Basement Paul

Post by Basement Paul »

Nice! Also, one of those $40 shift improver kits (very easy to install) will correct all your shifting needs...

Also, I think my Caddy torque converter would go to about 2200 (at least with the Caddy's torque), or 32v might have a higher converter too. Something to think about before putting the exhaust back together.

I knew there would be something better in "The Basement".

-BP
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

The latest: Took out the passenger seat, cleaned up the mess under there - regular in-car trash and 71 cents in change. The bottom portion of the seat belt was in fact in the car - though it was rusted solid. Had some time Friday so I completed the setup of the passenger seat belt and installed it along with reinstalling the seat. The car is now ready for a passenger.

Oh and I washed it
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Drove it to work yesterday for the first time in a long time. I can't tell you how cool it is to drive a classic like that to work, or anywhere for that matter. I am guessing the satisfaction of fixing it myself is part of that.

The sound is so good too. I'll leave the 50 series Flowmasters to the old guys - these 40 series sound really good. It's going again tomorrow weather permitting.

I think I may be leaking a little out the rear main - too bad I did not fix that when the pan was off. It will have to do for now.
wxo

Big blocks & mouse motors

Post by wxo »

It seems to me that if you had more cubes to move more air through those series 40's that you might be considering joining the old guys. (just an observation.)
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

wxo wrote:It seems to me that if you had more cubes to move more air through those series 40's that you might be considering joining the old guys. (just an observation.)
Or better heads and cam. I am seriously considering a flowmaster for the Trans Am so if I put 40 series on that I'll have a chance to see if the better flowing 350 is too loud with the flowmaster 40 series.

If we can get these two vehicles together we can figure out the sound difference.

This past weekend I put a 17 1/2" clutch fan on and removed the aftermarket 18" flex fan. I bought a new clutch and the studs to attach it to the water pump. And the fan is quiet unless it gets really hot under there then you can hear it. This should easily correct the fan to shroud clearance problem it had, not to mention the irritating sound of that flex fan.

I am still having an intermittent problem with the ignition which I have attirbuted to the battery connections loosening up. I need to find the thin clip that holds the pickup coil to the distributor. Unfortunately I ruined the clip on the original distributor while removing it.

I also notice the alternator belt is rubbing slightly on the power steering pump. I am hopeful this is because the belt is stretched and I am near the end of the adjustment.

A few more tweaks and it will be ready for shakedown runs.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

The ignition problem apparently had nothing to do with the battery. I finally got the original distributor back together with a new pickup ring and the problem did not clear up.

I got tired of the problem and decided to put my Trans Am distributor in there. To my relief this cleared up the problem. I bought a new control module to put in the original distributor and try again - which I will try later.

In the meantime I wanted to make some passes to see what it would do. I was concerned about vapor lock due to the lower heater hose laying right on the fuel pump and fuel line. I had never had a problem on the street but we all know that the track and the street are two different things.

Sure enough I fought vapor lock most of the night, but eventually it cooled off enough to get a full pass in, where it ran ran 15.72 at 86.86 mph. It ran about 3 or 4 tenths better than I was expecting. This was at TRP, which is at least 75 miles from my house, so I put at least 150 miles on the car today and it ran fine.

I also think the clunk in the back is gone and now I am hearing the rear calipers hanging up just slightly when I release the brake.
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Wow I have not updated since September. I drove the car a bunch in the fall and even a few times in January when the roads were salt free and the weather was mild.

I started driving it again a couple weeks ago, all the while contemplating this years upgrades. Over the weekend I cleaned up the garage some. While moving the Vette I noticed it is leaking brake fluid from the right front.

So it begins. I put the car up, took off the wheels and drained the radiator fluid.

My plans so far include:
new radiator hoses, belts, shocks, brake hoses, calipers (at least one), radiator fluid, dust caps for front hubs, frt sway bar bushings. On the interior there are drain hoses for the vents in the back that are leaking and need replaced. I am contemplating a new rear leaf spring and fixing the power steering leak also.

It is so nice working on a rust-free car. Everything unbolts.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

So many decisions. It took a while to sort out what I wanted but I have ordered a stack of parts - a little over $600 from Corvette Central including a pressure bleeder for the brakes and another hundred or so of parts from Autozone.

The caliper from Autozone is on the car. Between now and when the Corvette Central parts show up there will is a bunch of disassembly to do.

there is a white 84 Z28 on Craigs list locally that is calling me - could be had for $1000 and no rust through - would make a great race car. I have to stay off there so I can focus on what is already in the garage.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

Most of the parts have arrived. All the hoses and belts are off. Found the car lacks a thermostat so I bought one of those as well.

After removing the heater core hoses I found they sell replacements premolded. They are more expensive but I think they are the right way to go, so I have to place another order.

I went to put the belts on last night (5 minute job right?). The old alternator belt was rubbing the power steering pump ever so slightly. The new one rubs even more. After some analysis I found the power steering pump pulley was not parallel with the crank pulley, due to two washers between the pump and the adjuster bracket in the back. So I had to basically detach the pump from the brackets to get these washers out. This fixed the alignment issue but the new alt belt still rubbed ever so slightly. There is a thin metal guard on the ps pump that it is rubbing. I can get it to clear by pushing on the guard but it will not stay in place. I removed the guard and it clears. I am going to try to reshape the guard to get closer to the pump.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

The pwr steering pump belt guard was refashioned to clear and the belts are now installed.

All four shocks have been replaced. They might have been the original shocks - or at least they were on the car when it was undercoated. My son helped with this, he likes doing stuff with me and can be helpful.

The rear spring has been replaced. This is not a bad job really. I took the time to clean the bolts, brackets and heat shield before reinstalling them.

I wanted to replace the brake hoses in the back but the nut will not come free from the line on one of them. It's crazy because there is no rust at all on the line. I did put a little heat on it to no avail.

I have also discovered how bad the trailing arm bushings really are. I think they are going to be replaced as well - so the shopping list grows.
-BP[/quote]
MostMint

Post by MostMint »

-BP[/quote]
Fred32v

Never Too Young

Post by Fred32v »

What a great start for MintTwo! Sweet picture.
Fred32v
GMC Canyon Crew Cab Short Box 4x4 V6!